FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora Infrastructure

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-02-2010, 03:22 PM
Ricky Zhou
 
Default RFC: SpamAssassin subject munging considered harmful :)

On 2010-02-02 03:02:18 PM, Tristan Santore wrote:
> I like the spam headers, and have yet to see a single message marked as spam,
> which originated from a user. And I am on multiple lists.
> Also, without the headers of the message, it is hard to say what is causing
> said scoring. It could be the users end or maybe even their fault, i.e. using a
> SMTP they should not. As it happened to one of my clients. Also, just because
> it is marked [spam], does not mean it gets removed, and I believe most people
> can use common sense in that regard.
Todd attached the message and full headers, and in this case, it seems
that the presence of a domain name with ".com" in the middle caused a
huge spam score, which definitely seems unreasonable.

I agree with Todd that the spam headers suffice without having to munge
the subject.

Thanks,
Ricky
_______________________________________________
infrastructure mailing list
infrastructure@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/infrastructure
 
Old 02-02-2010, 04:27 PM
Tristan Santore
 
Default RFC: SpamAssassin subject munging considered harmful :)

On 02/02/10 16:22, Ricky Zhou wrote:

On 2010-02-02 03:02:18 PM, Tristan Santore wrote:


I like the spam headers, and have yet to see a single message marked as spam,
which originated from a user. And I am on multiple lists.
Also, without the headers of the message, it is hard to say what is causing
said scoring. It could be the users end or maybe even their fault, i.e. using a
SMTP they should not. As it happened to one of my clients. Also, just because
it is marked [spam], does not mean it gets removed, and I believe most people
can use common sense in that regard.


Todd attached the message and full headers, and in this case, it seems
that the presence of a domain name with ".com" in the middle caused a
huge spam score, which definitely seems unreasonable.

I agree with Todd that the spam headers suffice without having to munge
the subject.

Thanks,
Ricky



_______________________________________________
infrastructure mailing list
infrastructure@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/infrastructure

If the score originates from com2com scoring, then the filter needs
fixing, as it did not look for .com but anything com. This looks more
like a bug that needs to be submitted to the relevant developers.





Regards,



Tristan



--
Tristan Santore BSc MBCS
TS4523-RIPE
Network and Infrastructure Operations
InterNexusConnect
Mobile +44-78-55069812
Tristan.Santore@internexusconnect.net

Former Thawte Notary
(Please note: Thawte has closed its WoT programme down,
and I am therefor no longer able to accredit trust)

For Fedora related issues, please email me at:
TSantore@fedoraproject.org



_______________________________________________
infrastructure mailing list
infrastructure@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/infrastructure
 
Old 02-02-2010, 04:49 PM
Ricky Zhou
 
Default RFC: SpamAssassin subject munging considered harmful :)

On 2010-02-02 05:27:22 PM, Tristan Santore wrote:
> If the score originates from com2com scoring, then the filter needs fixing, as
> it did not look for .com but anything com. This looks more like a bug that
> needs to be submitted to the relevant developers.
I don't think it was necessarily a bug in the rule. The original email
that Todd forwarded contained "google.com.s9b1.psmtp.com." which looks
like it could have set it off.

Also, an update to this - we've disabled the [SPAM] subject in our
spamassassin config now. The normal spamassasin headers will still be
included in emails, but the subject just won't be modified.

Thanks,
Ricky
_______________________________________________
infrastructure mailing list
infrastructure@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/infrastructure
 
Old 02-02-2010, 04:51 PM
Dennis Gilmore
 
Default RFC: SpamAssassin subject munging considered harmful :)

On Tuesday 02 February 2010 08:32:04 am Todd Zullinger wrote:
> I noticed that a number of messages to the users list have been marked
> with [Spam] in the subjects since the list migration. This appears to
> be due to the Spamassassin settings on bastion. I think this subject
> munging is undesirable and would like to see it stopped. Having
> legitimate messages sent to list members tagged as [SPAM] serves no
> good purpose. If I were a list member I might wonder why my message
> was marked or why Fedora is forwarding on mail it thinks is spam.
>
> At the same time, it's worth noting that if the SpamAssassin settings
> are marking legitimate list mail as spam, they probably ought to be
> tweaked a bit. If these messages had gone through bastion before
> hitting Mailman and were to a list with a rule to reject or discard on
> X-Spam-Flag (as I know several lists do, websites being one example),
> the messages would have been improperly discarded.
>
> This isn't to say I don't appreciate the job that SpamAssassin does
> nor the hard work put in by Warren and others upstream. I just want
> to ensure that SpamAssassin does not act too aggressively at marking
> up the mail that comes through fedoraproject.org.
>
> I've attached an example of a recent users list message which was
> marked as spam improperly. The relevant SpamAssassin headers:
>
> X-Spam-Checker-Version: SpamAssassin 3.3.0 (2010-01-18) on
> bastion2.fedora.phx.redhat.com
> X-Spam-Flag: YES
> X-Spam-Level: *****
> X-Spam-Status: Yes, score=5.6 required=5.0 tests=BAYES_50,SPOOF_COM2COM,
> SPOOF_COM2OTH autolearn=no version=3.3.0
> X-Spam-Report: * 2.7 SPOOF_COM2OTH URI: URI contains ".com" in middle *
> 2.0 SPOOF_COM2COM URI: URI contains ".com" in middle and end * 0.8
> BAYES_50 BODY: Bayes spam probability is 40 to 60% * [score: 0.5000]

Mail only hits bastion on the way out. all mail comes in via one of the 3
smtp relays and gets sent to the mailman server. The idea of the relays is
make sure we accept all mail coming in. once processed by mailman all mail
hits bastion on its way out. so the lists should not reject mail improperly.

Dennis
_______________________________________________
infrastructure mailing list
infrastructure@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/infrastructure
 
Old 02-02-2010, 06:15 PM
Mike McGrath
 
Default RFC: SpamAssassin subject munging considered harmful :)

On Tue, 2 Feb 2010, Todd Zullinger wrote:

> I noticed that a number of messages to the users list have been marked
> with [Spam] in the subjects since the list migration. This appears to
> be due to the Spamassassin settings on bastion. I think this subject
> munging is undesirable and would like to see it stopped. Having
> legitimate messages sent to list members tagged as [SPAM] serves no
> good purpose. If I were a list member I might wonder why my message
> was marked or why Fedora is forwarding on mail it thinks is spam.
>
> At the same time, it's worth noting that if the SpamAssassin settings
> are marking legitimate list mail as spam, they probably ought to be
> tweaked a bit. If these messages had gone through bastion before
> hitting Mailman and were to a list with a rule to reject or discard on
> X-Spam-Flag (as I know several lists do, websites being one example),
> the messages would have been improperly discarded.
>

Anyone know exactly when this started?

-Mike
_______________________________________________
infrastructure mailing list
infrastructure@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/infrastructure
 
Old 02-02-2010, 06:31 PM
Warren Togami
 
Default RFC: SpamAssassin subject munging considered harmful :)

On 02/02/2010 02:15 PM, Mike McGrath wrote:
> Anyone know exactly when this started?
>
> -Mike

My understanding is it was configured this way for a long time, only we
didn't notice any problem because list mail wasn't going through the
bastion filter before.

Warren
_______________________________________________
infrastructure mailing list
infrastructure@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/infrastructure
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 04:05 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org