Old 01-31-2010, 04:03 PM
"Paul W. Frields"

Default Fedora Hosted entry on Wikipedia

Responding to a recent status post:
http://twitter.com/berrange/status/8231080017

I added Fedora Hosted info to the Wikipedia page in question:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_open_source_software_hosting_facilit ies

I'd appreciate it if someone knowledgeable could check the information
there and correct any oversights or errors. Thanks.

Old 01-31-2010, 05:22 PM
Tristan Santore

I added Fedora Hosted info to the Wikipedia page in question:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_open_source_software_hosting_facilit ies

I'd appreciate it if someone knowledgeable could check the information
there and correct any oversights or errors. Thanks.

Hey Paul,

I might be wrong, but considering FI has Koji running I would imagine
that would be classed as "Build System".

Regards,
Tristan

--
Tristan Santore BSc MBCS
TS4523-RIPE

Former Thawte Notary
(Please note: Thawte has closed its WoT programme down,
and I am therefor no longer able to accredit trust)

TSantore@fedoraproject.org

Old 01-31-2010, 06:47 PM
Darren VanBuren

Koji is for building packages for Fedora, once they're approved to be
included in Fedora's package repos. If we have resources and people
put in a RFR for a Koji instance for hosted projects, we could run
one.

Darren L. VanBuren
=====================
http://theoks.net/

Old 01-31-2010, 07:16 PM
Till Maas

On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 11:47:24AM -0800, Darren VanBuren wrote:
> Koji is for building packages for Fedora, once they're approved to be
> included in Fedora's package repos. If we have resources and people
> put in a RFR for a Koji instance for hosted projects, we could run
> one.

Imho this is more what would be needed:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/JesseKeating/KojiPersonalRepos

Without these features in place, I cannot really imagine how a hosted
Koji instance could be used easily.

Regards
Till

Old 02-01-2010, 08:35 AM
Jeroen van Meeuwen

On 01/31/2010 09:16 PM, Till Maas wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 11:47:24AM -0800, Darren VanBuren wrote:
>> Koji is for building packages for Fedora, once they're approved to be
>> included in Fedora's package repos. If we have resources and people
>> put in a RFR for a Koji instance for hosted projects, we could run
>> one.
>
> Imho this is more what would be needed:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/JesseKeating/KojiPersonalRepos
>
> Without these features in place, I cannot really imagine how a hosted
> Koji instance could be used easily.

Scratch builds though do allow us to build virtually anything.

-- Jeroen

Old 02-01-2010, 08:42 AM
Jeroen van Meeuwen

On 01/31/2010 06:03 PM, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> Responding to a recent status post:
> http://twitter.com/berrange/status/8231080017
>
> I added Fedora Hosted info to the Wikipedia page in question:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_open_source_software_hosting_facilit ies

<o/ <o/ <o/
o> o> o>

Great move!

> I'd appreciate it if someone knowledgeable could check the information
> there and correct any oversights or errors. Thanks.

Just a few stabs at what I'm seeing:

1) Wouldn't Transifex be considered a translation system? Google Code
and Launchpad are considered to have a translation system and there's
extra foo you need to do there, not unlike what you have to do on Fedora
Hosted (add transifex user to your scm group and tell somebody about
it). Transifex of course is way better then either of the other
aforementioned...!!

2) In the way that github allows you to have personal/private branches,
and Sourceforge doesn't, isn't Fedora Hosted somewhere in between?

3) The trac system also allows for email2trac (along w/ anti-spam?),
ticket templates and code review, and probably more. Maybe that's worth
mentioning too.

-- Jeroen

Old 02-01-2010, 09:29 AM
Till Maas

On Mon, Feb 01, 2010 at 10:35:45AM +0100, Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
> On 01/31/2010 09:16 PM, Till Maas wrote:
> > On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 11:47:24AM -0800, Darren VanBuren wrote:
> >> Koji is for building packages for Fedora, once they're approved to be
> >> included in Fedora's package repos. If we have resources and people
> >> put in a RFR for a Koji instance for hosted projects, we could run
> >> one.
> >
> > Imho this is more what would be needed:
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/JesseKeating/KojiPersonalRepos
> >
> > Without these features in place, I cannot really imagine how a hosted
> > Koji instance could be used easily.
> >

> Scratch builds though do allow us to build virtually anything.

Only builds in Fedora can be used as build dependencies. This already
reduces the generic usability. Also scratch builds are removed after a
certain time, so one still needs to manually copy the rpms to somewhere
else and create a repository, which can then be used. It is better than
nothing, but imho not a full supported feature of Fedora Hosted.

Regards
Till

Old 02-01-2010, 02:45 PM
Jesse Keating

On Feb 1, 2010, at 1:35, Jeroen van Meeuwen <kanarip@kanarip.com> wrote:

> On 01/31/2010 09:16 PM, Till Maas wrote:
>> On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 11:47:24AM -0800, Darren VanBuren wrote:
>>> Koji is for building packages for Fedora, once they're approved
>>> to be
>>> included in Fedora's package repos. If we have resources and people
>>> put in a RFR for a Koji instance for hosted projects, we could run
>>> one.
>>
>> Imho this is more what would be needed:
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/JesseKeating/KojiPersonalRepos
>>
>> Without these features in place, I cannot really imagine how a hosted
>> Koji instance could be used easily.
>>

> Scratch builds though do allow us to build virtually anything.
>
> -- Jeroen

Anything that doesn't require something else outside of Fedora's
package set.

--
Jes

Old 02-01-2010, 08:32 PM
"Paul W. Frields"

On Mon, Feb 01, 2010 at 10:42:38AM +0100, Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
> On 01/31/2010 06:03 PM, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> > Responding to a recent status post:
> > http://twitter.com/berrange/status/8231080017
> >
> > I added Fedora Hosted info to the Wikipedia page in question:
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_open_source_software_hosting_facilit ies
>
> <o/ <o/ <o/
> o> o> o>
>
> Great move!

Thank Daniel Berrange, who posted a status update at some point last week
that drew my attention to this oversight.

It would be good if someone else could make a meaningful [[Fedora
Hosted]] page on Wikipedia that covers the system similarly to entries
for other hosting systems.

> > I'd appreciate it if someone knowledgeable could check the information
> > there and correct any oversights or errors. Thanks.
>
> Just a few stabs at what I'm seeing:
>
> 1) Wouldn't Transifex be considered a translation system? Google Code
> and Launchpad are considered to have a translation system and there's
> extra foo you need to do there, not unlike what you have to do on Fedora
> Hosted (add transifex user to your scm group and tell somebody about
> it). Transifex of course is way better then either of the other
> aforementioned...!!

Agreed -- but is the integration as close as with those systems? I'm
not arguing one way or the other, I don't have a translated project on
Google Code that would help me know.

> 2) In the way that github allows you to have personal/private branches,
> and Sourceforge doesn't, isn't Fedora Hosted somewhere in between?

Is it? I'd need more information to be able to tell whether my entry
was correct... give me some background and let's see if I got it wrong
or right.

> 3) The trac system also allows for email2trac (along w/ anti-spam?),
> ticket templates and code review, and probably more. Maybe that's worth
> mentioning too.

Could be a footnote, right? I'd suggest adding it to the page... it's
a wiki! ;-)