Old 01-18-2010, 08:15 PM
Mike McGrath

Default host-lifecycle-policy

It dawns on me I never actually sent this to the list for comments and we
haven't officially adopted it yet.

http://infrastructure.fedoraproject.org/csi/host-lifecycle-policy/en-US/html-single/

It's still in flux but give it a read over. For some stuff it seems like
it adds more work (like post kickstart checklist) but really it just lists
what needs to be done as part of bringing a host online. Backups and
monitoring are things that often get forgotten about.

I'm working on a very similar doc for bringing services online.

-Mike

Old 01-18-2010, 09:10 PM
Luke Macken

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 03:15:20PM -0600, Mike McGrath wrote:
> It dawns on me I never actually sent this to the list for comments and we
> haven't officially adopted it yet.
>
> http://infrastructure.fedoraproject.org/csi/host-lifecycle-policy/en-US/html-single/
>
> It's still in flux but give it a read over. For some stuff it seems like
> it adds more work (like post kickstart checklist) but really it just lists
> what needs to be done as part of bringing a host online. Backups and
> monitoring are things that often get forgotten about.

It looks good after quick glance. I didn't know about
needs-restarting.py, awesome. I'm going to print out all of the CSI
this week and start reviewing.

It also sounds like it could be nice to have all of the Package
Integrity & Security Update Checks running on regular intervals by
Zabbix? (eg: letting us know when security updates are available, when
services need to be restarted, etc).

luke

Old 01-18-2010, 09:57 PM
Mike McGrath

On Mon, 18 Jan 2010, Luke Macken wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 03:15:20PM -0600, Mike McGrath wrote:
> > It dawns on me I never actually sent this to the list for comments and we
> > haven't officially adopted it yet.
> >
> > http://infrastructure.fedoraproject.org/csi/host-lifecycle-policy/en-US/html-single/
> >
> > It's still in flux but give it a read over. For some stuff it seems like
> > it adds more work (like post kickstart checklist) but really it just lists
> > what needs to be done as part of bringing a host online. Backups and
> > monitoring are things that often get forgotten about.
>
> It looks good after quick glance. I didn't know about
> needs-restarting.py, awesome. I'm going to print out all of the CSI
> this week and start reviewing.
>
> It also sounds like it could be nice to have all of the Package
> Integrity & Security Update Checks running on regular intervals by
> Zabbix? (eg: letting us know when security updates are available, when
> services need to be restarted, etc).

Yeah, we don't have all of that stuff implemented yet but some of it is.
I've been goign back and forth between having zabbix do it or having cron
do it. The main reason I've been leaning towards cron is because it
doesn't produce output on success, and can take a long time to run (I
worry about zabbix timeouts)

-Mike

Old 01-20-2010, 04:40 PM
"Jˇhann B. Gu­mundsson"

On 01/18/2010 09:15 PM, Mike McGrath wrote:
> It dawns on me I never actually sent this to the list for comments and we
> haven't officially adopted it yet.
>
> http://infrastructure.fedoraproject.org/csi/host-lifecycle-policy/en-US/html-single/
>
> It's still in flux but give it a read over. For some stuff it seems like
> it adds more work (like post kickstart checklist) but really it just lists
> what needs to be done as part of bringing a host online. Backups and
> monitoring are things that often get forgotten about.
>
> I'm working on a very similar doc for bringing services online.
>
> -Mike

Great work Mike.

There's one thing I would like to share and recommend that is not
documented there and that is to use different colored Ethernet cables
for different purposes.

For instance we use..

Red for server management ports
White for public network interface
Blue for the backup network interface
etc.

This is most triumph when you need to unplug and service a machine and
plug it back in again and is much less work then labeling each cable
which you will need to do if they are all the same color....

JBG