Old 01-06-2010, 03:59 PM
Jeroen van Meeuwen

Default Goals for F13?

On 01/06/2010 05:48 PM, Mike McGrath wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Jan 2010, Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
>
>> On 01/06/2010 05:35 PM, Mike McGrath wrote:
>>>
>>> So F13 is underway, we should get our list of F13 goals together. So what
>>> would you like to see (and will be working on) for F13?
>>>
>>> For example, I know Jon and Dennis are working on the mail man migration.
>>>
>>> The major features include:
>>>
>>> 1) Getting virt_web into Fedora
>>> 2) download.fedoraproject.org (based on boot.kernel.org)
>>
>> Oh... who's working on this?
>>

> Right now just me - http://publictest8.fedoraproject.org/boot/gpxe.iso
> boot from that.
>
> The larger goal is to get people using it, raise awareness of it and prove
> it's a viable solution.

I'm interested in working on it with you -from the composing side as
well. I'm assuming I'm gonna need to read up a lot, is there a Fedora
reference page somewhere or would we need to create one still?

-- Jeroen

Old 01-06-2010, 04:09 PM
Mike McGrath

On Wed, 6 Jan 2010, Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:

> On 01/06/2010 05:48 PM, Mike McGrath wrote:

> >> Oh... who's working on this?
> >>

> > Right now just me - http://publictest8.fedoraproject.org/boot/gpxe.iso
> > boot from that.
> >
> > The larger goal is to get people using it, raise awareness of it and prove
> > it's a viable solution.
> >

> I'm interested in working on it with you -from the composing side as
> well. I'm assuming I'm gonna need to read up a lot, is there a Fedora
> reference page somewhere or would we need to create one still?

not yet, I'm going to put a features page together shortly but ping me in
#fedora-admin. I can make sure to get you access to the bits and what's
going on. It should be fairly easy to put together, at a minimum 1 new
package in Fedora though I think a couple of others would be useful.

-Mike

Old 01-06-2010, 04:46 PM
Jesse Keating

On Wed, 2010-01-06 at 10:35 -0600, Mike McGrath wrote:
> What does everyone else have?

1) no frozen rawhide which requires faster composes
2) dist-git
3) A functioning message bus with services passing messages

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom˛ is a feature!

Old 01-06-2010, 05:10 PM
Jon Stanley

On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 11:35 AM, Mike McGrath <mmcgrath@redhat.com> wrote:

> What does everyone else have?

Getting hosted's load average to below 100 (I accidentally
mistyped hosted as hosed, a Freudian slip as to the current state of
affairs? )

I think that gitweb-caching will help a lot here, I just need to ping
warthog9 and get him sponsored, packages built and in epel-testing.

Old 01-06-2010, 05:28 PM
Mike McGrath

On Wed, 6 Jan 2010, Jesse Keating wrote:

> On Wed, 2010-01-06 at 10:35 -0600, Mike McGrath wrote:
> > What does everyone else have?
>
> 1) no frozen rawhide which requires faster composes
> 2) dist-git
> 3) A functioning message bus with services passing messages

I think I know what you'd want from us on 2 and 3, can you think of
anything off hand you'd need help with for 1? By faster composes are you
thinking composing more often? Does that include distribution?

-Mike

Old 01-06-2010, 05:45 PM
Bill Nottingham

Mike McGrath (mmcgrath@redhat.com) said:
> > > What does everyone else have?
> >
> > 1) no frozen rawhide which requires faster composes
> > 2) dist-git
> > 3) A functioning message bus with services passing messages
> >

> I think I know what you'd want from us on 2 and 3, can you think of
> anything off hand you'd need help with for 1? By faster composes are you
> thinking composing more often? Does that include distribution?

NFR essentially requires two rawhides per day, once we branch for
release. Given that we'd also be pushing updates, that's a lot of
mashing and load on /mnt/koji.

Possible help points for that:
- using multiple releng boxes for composition
- faster storage

Bill

Old 01-06-2010, 05:54 PM
Mike McGrath

On Wed, 6 Jan 2010, Bill Nottingham wrote:

> > > 1) no frozen rawhide which requires faster composes
> > > 2) dist-git
> > > 3) A functioning message bus with services passing messages
> > >

> > I think I know what you'd want from us on 2 and 3, can you think of
> > anything off hand you'd need help with for 1? By faster composes are you
> > thinking composing more often? Does that include distribution?
>
> NFR essentially requires two rawhides per day, once we branch for
> release. Given that we'd also be pushing updates, that's a lot of
> mashing and load on /mnt/koji.

With a little luck Dennis and I will have /mnt/koji replaced fairly soon
(within months)

> Possible help points for that:
> - using multiple releng boxes for composition
> - faster storage

We'll have more expansion soon for releng for more compose hosts. I'll
try to get with Jesse soon to walk me through a mash so I can get a proper
profile of it, there may be some tricks we can use (cachfilesd?)

-Mike

Old 01-06-2010, 06:18 PM
Brennan Ashton

On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 12:46 PM, Jesse Keating <jkeating@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-01-06 at 10:35 -0600, Mike McGrath wrote:
>> What does everyone else have?
>
> 1) no frozen rawhide which requires faster composes
> 2) dist-git
> 3) A functioning message bus with services passing messages

I have been wanting to get going on #3, especially with the creating
of the shims. I have basically finished some longterm projects that
have been consuming all of my time, so I can actually commit to doing
more work on this.

--Brennan Ashton

Old 01-06-2010, 07:37 PM
Stephen John Smoogen

On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 9:35 AM, Mike McGrath <mmcgrath@redhat.com> wrote:

> So F13 is underway, we should get our list of F13 goals together. *So what
> would you like to see (and will be working on) for F13?
>
> For example, I know Jon and Dennis are working on the mail man migration.
>
> The major features include:
>
> *1) Getting virt_web into Fedora
> *2) download.fedoraproject.org (based on boot.kernel.org)
> *3) AutoQA (I'm mostly a support role here for the QA team)
> *4) Fedora Insight (With marketing team)

> Minor updates:
> *1) Replace /mnt/koji (with dennis)
> *2) Replace the blade center (with a new one)

Does this mean getting rid of the old one or moving the old one to
other projects?

> *3) Puppet cleanup (and module publication)

My main goals will be to make Fedora Infrastructure more modular:

1) Inventory system (GLPI+SMOLT?)
2) How would one replicate Fedora Infrastructure elsewhere?
3) More CSI.
4) Grow infrastructure to meet Rawhide changes and growth.

> I figure that averages out to more than one important thing per month +
> all the day to day stuff, that'll keep me busy *Oh, and as always help
> wanted for those who have time.
>
> What does everyone else have?
>
> * * * *-Mike

Stephen J Smoogen.

-- Robert Browning

Old 01-06-2010, 07:53 PM
Mike McGrath

On Wed, 6 Jan 2010, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 9:35 AM, Mike McGrath <mmcgrath@redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> > So F13 is underway, we should get our list of F13 goals together. *So what
> > would you like to see (and will be working on) for F13?
> >
> > For example, I know Jon and Dennis are working on the mail man migration.
> >
> > The major features include:
> >
> > *1) Getting virt_web into Fedora
> > *2) download.fedoraproject.org (based on boot.kernel.org)
> > *3) AutoQA (I'm mostly a support role here for the QA team)
> > *4) Fedora Insight (With marketing team)
>

> > Minor updates:
> > *1) Replace /mnt/koji (with dennis)
> > *2) Replace the blade center (with a new one)
>
> Does this mean getting rid of the old one or moving the old one to
> other projects?

Getting rid of the old one.

Fedora-infrastructure-list mailing list
Fedora-infrastructure-list@redhat.com