Old 12-14-2009, 12:53 PM
"Paul W. Frields"

Default Voting app offline time?

Has the voting app been offline during the move? If so, how long?
The answer to those questions will determine whether and how long we
need to extend the voting period.

Old 12-14-2009, 01:14 PM
Nigel Jones

We had some the original DB downtime ~1-2 hours, then downtime due to
fas not been around ~1-2 hours, plus a DB downtime of ~2-3 hours and a
VPN downtime of about an hour.

All in all, I think it meets the 1 day extension criteria.
-- Nigel Jones

Old 12-14-2009, 01:51 PM
"Paul W. Frields"

On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 12:14:46AM +1000, Nigel Jones wrote:
> We had some the original DB downtime ~1-2 hours, then downtime due to
> fas not been around ~1-2 hours, plus a DB downtime of ~2-3 hours and a
> VPN downtime of about an hour.
>
> All in all, I think it meets the 1 day extension criteria.

Yup, top-side estimates add up to 8 hours, so we should extend the
voting by one day as agreed. Make it so! ;-)

Old 12-14-2009, 04:00 PM
"Paul W. Frields"

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 09:51:09AM -0500, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 12:14:46AM +1000, Nigel Jones wrote:
> > We had some the original DB downtime ~1-2 hours, then downtime due to
> > fas not been around ~1-2 hours, plus a DB downtime of ~2-3 hours and a
> > VPN downtime of about an hour.
> >
> > All in all, I think it meets the 1 day extension criteria.
>
> Yup, top-side estimates add up to 8 hours, so we should extend the
> voting by one day as agreed. Make it so! ;-)

And... after making the announcement, it's come to light that there
are some DNS issues outstanding which could potentially have presented
a problem to voters.

Toshio helpfully offered that this breakage seems to have come about
as a result of a puppet commit on 2009-12-14 UTC 0310. If that's
correct, and problems continue through 2009-12-15 UTC 0310, we need to
extend by another day, and continue to slip that closing time by
another day as needed for each 24-hour period in which the problem
isn't resolved.

I'll get with Nigel and ask him to slip the deadline for election
voting by one additional day, so we'll be looking right now at a close
of 2009-12-17 UTC 2359.

Paul

Old 12-14-2009, 04:02 PM
Mike McGrath

On Mon, 14 Dec 2009, Paul W. Frields wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 09:51:09AM -0500, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> > On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 12:14:46AM +1000, Nigel Jones wrote:
> > > We had some the original DB downtime ~1-2 hours, then downtime due to
> > > fas not been around ~1-2 hours, plus a DB downtime of ~2-3 hours and a
> > > VPN downtime of about an hour.
> > >
> > > All in all, I think it meets the 1 day extension criteria.
> >
> > Yup, top-side estimates add up to 8 hours, so we should extend the
> > voting by one day as agreed. Make it so! ;-)
>
> And... after making the announcement, it's come to light that there
> are some DNS issues outstanding which could potentially have presented
> a problem to voters.

This one's been difficult to confirm. We know there were some issues that
have been resolved and so far slicehost is the only one having issues,
which is almost certainly on us but so far no one has actually complained
about any issues which is surprising to me but does point to a not widly
spread issue.

-Mike

Old 12-14-2009, 04:08 PM
Seth Vidal

We had some the original DB downtime ~1-2 hours, then downtime due to
fas not been around ~1-2 hours, plus a DB downtime of ~2-3 hours and a
VPN downtime of about an hour.

All in all, I think it meets the 1 day extension criteria.

Yup, top-side estimates add up to 8 hours, so we should extend the
voting by one day as agreed. Make it so! ;-)

And... after making the announcement, it's come to light that there
are some DNS issues outstanding which could potentially have presented
a problem to voters.

This one's been difficult to confirm. We know there were some issues that
have been resolved and so far slicehost is the only one having issues,
which is almost certainly on us but so far no one has actually complained
about any issues which is surprising to me but does point to a not widly
spread issue.

It could also mean they are trying to email about the problems but cannot
b/c their mailer won't let them email to a domain they cannot find.

This is how I noticed the problem this morning from slicehost
.
-sbv

Old 12-15-2009, 12:21 PM
"Paul W. Frields"

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 12:08:15PM -0500, Seth Vidal wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Dec 2009, Mike McGrath wrote:

> >>And... after making the announcement, it's come to light that there
> >>are some DNS issues outstanding which could potentially have presented
> >>a problem to voters.
> >>

> >This one's been difficult to confirm. We know there were some issues that
> >have been resolved and so far slicehost is the only one having issues,
> >which is almost certainly on us but so far no one has actually complained
> >about any issues which is surprising to me but does point to a not widly
> >spread issue.
> >

> It could also mean they are trying to email about the problems but
> cannot b/c their mailer won't let them email to a domain they cannot
> find.
>

> This is how I noticed the problem this morning from slicehost.

What's the status on the DNS problems? Were they resolved, and if so,
approximately when? That will tell me what we need to do for a
further extension for voting.

Thanks to all of you who worked on this problem and the rest of the
move.

Old 12-15-2009, 06:46 PM
Mike McGrath

On Tue, 15 Dec 2009, Paul W. Frields wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 12:08:15PM -0500, Seth Vidal wrote:

> > >This one's been difficult to confirm. We know there were some issues that
> > >have been resolved and so far slicehost is the only one having issues,
> > >which is almost certainly on us but so far no one has actually complained
> > >about any issues which is surprising to me but does point to a not widly
> > >spread issue.
> > >

> > It could also mean they are trying to email about the problems but
> > cannot b/c their mailer won't let them email to a domain they cannot
> > find.
> >

> > This is how I noticed the problem this morning from slicehost.
>
> What's the status on the DNS problems? Were they resolved, and if so,
> approximately when? That will tell me what we need to do for a
> further extension for voting.
>
> Thanks to all of you who worked on this problem and the rest of the
> move.

AFAIK, some people had issues for an hour or two. But having said that..
I'm begining to think more and more this is a bind bug because I still
can't resolve fedoraproject.org from my slicehost:

dig @67.207.128.4 fedoraproject.org

I'd think if this was a wide spread problem people would be screaming
about it.

-Mike

Old 12-15-2009, 06:51 PM
inode0

On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 1:46 PM, Mike McGrath <mmcgrath@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Dec 2009, Paul W. Frields wrote:

>> > It could also mean they are trying to email about the problems but
>> > cannot b/c their mailer won't let them email to a domain they cannot
>> > find.
>> >

>> > This is how I noticed the problem this morning from slicehost.
>>
>> What's the status on the DNS problems? *Were they resolved, and if so,
>> approximately when? *That will tell me what we need to do for a
>> further extension for voting.
>>
>> Thanks to all of you who worked on this problem and the rest of the
>> move.
>>

> AFAIK, some people had issues for an hour or two. *But having said that..
> I'm begining to think more and more this is a bind bug because I still
> can't resolve fedoraproject.org from my slicehost:
>
> dig @67.207.128.4 fedoraproject.org
>
> I'd think if this was a wide spread problem people would be screaming
> about it.

For what it is worth I think the one day extension with the previous
extension is plenty but adding another just to be safe isn't going to
upset anyone I don't think. So if you think just to be cautious it
would be good to extend the voting through the 17th I don't think
anyone would object.

John

Old 12-15-2009, 07:01 PM
"Paul W. Frields"

On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 01:51:15PM -0600, inode0 wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 1:46 PM, Mike McGrath <mmcgrath@redhat.com> wrote:

> >> What's the status on the DNS problems? *Were they resolved, and if so,
> >> approximately when? *That will tell me what we need to do for a
> >> further extension for voting.
> >>
> >> Thanks to all of you who worked on this problem and the rest of the
> >> move.
> >>

> > AFAIK, some people had issues for an hour or two. *But having said that..
> > I'm begining to think more and more this is a bind bug because I still
> > can't resolve fedoraproject.org from my slicehost:
> >
> > dig @67.207.128.4 fedoraproject.org
> >
> > I'd think if this was a wide spread problem people would be screaming
> > about it.
>
> For what it is worth I think the one day extension with the previous
> extension is plenty but adding another just to be safe isn't going to
> upset anyone I don't think. So if you think just to be cautious it
> would be good to extend the voting through the 17th I don't think
> anyone would object.

We'll just stick with what we announced and planned, to make things
easier.