Old 09-12-2011, 08:38 PM
Kevin Fenzi

Default Introduction

On Mon, 12 Sep 2011 20:59:45 +0100
Magyar Zoltán <mzotyoka@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All!
>
> My name is Zoltán Magyar. Basically I live in Hungary (but for now
> I'm in Ireland until 1st of March, 2012).

Welcome.

> I'm using fedora since 4 or 5 years now, and I pretty like it so far.
> I guess it's time for me to take part in helping this OS to get even
> better. I have some knowledge in software development in general, I'm
> currently learning Java, Python, have used SQL a bit. I'm mostly
> looking for some programming tasks, but I'm also interested in
> networking and cluster and HA stuff.
>
> I work as a full-time software developer at Ericsson, mainly doing
> function test related stuff.
>
> Hard to tell the time I could contribute, but I hope I can free up at
> least 3-4 hours a week!
>
> I'm happy to listen to any pointers about where/how to start
> contributing! :-)

Excellent.

This group is the infrastructure group. We run the servers that build
Fedora. Are we a group you are wanting to be involved with? Or did you
want to contribute to other areas in Fedora?

http://join.fedoraproject.org/

is the top level that should walk you through finding the right area to
contribute in. You can find more info about infrastructure at:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/GettingStarted

Welcome again.

kevin

Old 09-12-2011, 09:26 PM
Magyar Zoltán

Hi Kevin,

I've read on the infrastructure page that you also develop various tools for the Fedora project.
From that list on the Getting Started page I think the most interesting for me would be the web application development.

So, if there are code-related tasks here as well, then yes, I'm in the right place.

Cheers,
Zoli

Old 09-18-2011, 05:08 PM
Niels Thykier

On 2011-09-18 18:12, Fernando C. Estrada wrote:
> Hi Java Team ;-)
>
>[...]
>
> Hi Niels,
>
>> To my knowledge no one has been working on this. If you want to work on
>> it, feel free to take it. I will gladly assist you with our limited
>> tool support (eclipse-helper from javahelper). Also please use eclipse
>> 3.7 (in experimental) as basis for the work, as eclipse in sid (3.5.2)
>> is uninstallable.
>
> I had eclipse from Sid and worked ok, then I uninstalled it and
> install from experimental, but now my eclipse doesn't recognize anything
> (like JDT for example), the only "problem" for the installation was the
> notification of #641378. What do you mean by uninstallable? (maybe this
> is related with my current problem).

Right, so I meant use the experimental version as a basis of your
packaging work. eclipse from experimental is currently broken due to
libjasper-java checking the path to a jar (and possibly a similar issue
with sat4j).

Now eclipse from sid is broken due to xulrunner-1.9.1 not being in the
archive anymore *and* the libjasper-java change.

Anyhow, plans are to upload eclipse 3.7 to sid soon since it is "less
broken" (and a lot easier to fix). It merely requires a lucene2 upload
to sid and possibly one more package.

>> Looking at [Fedora]'s packaging, it seems that ShellEd depends on
>> eclipse-dltk and eclipse-manpage. Neither are (to my knowledge) in Debian.
>
> You're right, this package is not "easy" based on dependencies,
> eclipse-dltk #551855 depends on eclipse-mylyn #581422, and if I'm right
> eclipse-manpage is part of eclipse-linuxtools #593285.

You can almost be sure that eclipse-linuxtools uses a "sane" build
system (probably PDE build), so it /should/ be relatively easy to deal
with. The reason is that linuxtools have a lot of Fedora people on the
team that has to package it. XD
I think the real issue will be eclipse-mylyn. I think we long ago (a
year or more) tried to package it. In the end, nothing happened due to
lack of interest, but there might be some basic packaging on git
(probably pkg-java/eclipse-mylyn.git if it still exists).
Anyhow, feel free to "steal" the Fedora packaging as well for all
cases. Although with javahelper's eclipse-helper you should be able to
do a relatively simple rules file (see eclipse-emf or eclipse-rse). In
my experience it is definitely simplier and easier than doing it
manually (Fedora tend to do this):

"""
%build
%{eclipse_base}/buildscripts/pdebuild -f $feature -a "$OPTIONS"

%install
unzip -q -n -d %{buildroot}%{eclipse_dropin}/$name
build/rpmBuild/$feature.zip
"""

The only problem with the eclipse-helpers is that it relies 100% on the
"PDE Build" system. A lot of eclipse plugins/projects tend to use it,
but occasionally maven build systems appears.
The "PDE Build" (+ build helpers from Linuxtools) system may appear to
be a bit magical and that is because it is a bit magical. Basically, we
build "eclipse features". Each feature consists of some eclipse plugins
or/and "sub features". Eclipse has never been designed with
"rebuildability (from scratch)" or distributions in mind, so Linuxtools
and the Debian eclipse-helper's have worked around this by...

* Copying the sources into an expendable directory (done by eclipse-
helper jh_setupenvironment)
* Create the eclipse base platform (+ requested "extra" parts if any).
(done by Linuxtools's "pde-build" script)
- Uses symlinks so it is faster than it sounds
* Have eclipse PDE generate and run the build files. (done by
Linuxtools's pde-build script)
- Some of this stuff is not cleaned (properly) on clean, hench the
expendable directory.
* Install the resulting features into the eclipse dropins dir. (done
by eclipse-helper jh_installeclipse)
* Remove the expendable directory (done by javahelper jh_clean)

I have left out some steps (like "pde-build" is usually invoked by
jh_compilefeatures) and I suggest you read the javahelper tutorial. My
ramblings in 1293_Packaging_with_javahelper.ogv may also be useful to you.

> I want to collaborate in Java packaging so I want to be a member of the
> Java Team, my main interests in this moment are Eclipse related but any
> other task is fully welcome, I'm already subscribed at debian-java and
> pkg-java-maintainers mailing lists, currently I'm watching the Java
> related videos from DebConf10 [1-5].

eclipse related stuff can use all the hands it can get. But if you
are bored, the Java team has a lot of packages that could use attention. XD

> As introduction my name is Fernando, I'm 28 years old and live in Mexico
> City, I work as a Java Developer for an Insurance Company (unfortunately
> not FLOSS related). Currently I'm a member of l10n-spanish, publicity,
> and other Debian activities like admin of ask.debian.net, debian.mx,
> etc., but so far no development (packaging) activity.

You may want to read up on some basic tutorials or guides if you are
completely new to packaging. There are a couple of them - the most well
known is probably the "New Maintainers Guide"[1], but some of the others
may have "less text and more action".
The mentor's list (debian-mentors@lists.debian.org) is also a very
good place for asking about general/basic packaging questions. Though
for Java packaging tools or Java packaging questions, this is definitely
the place to ask.

[1] http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/maint-guide/

> Any recommendations on how to start to collaborate will be very useful,
> mainly to know the priorities of the team and be able to join my efforts
> in the same direction.

You are very welcome to join us - for commit access, please apply
for membership of the pkg-java group on alioth (you may need an account
if you do not already have one).

> Thanks for your attention!
>
> Regards,
>
> [1] http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2010/debconf10/low/1285_The_Java_Packaging_Nightmare.ogv
> [2] http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2010/debconf10/low/1290_The_Free_Java_Jigsaw_Puzzle.ogv
> [3] http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2010/debconf10/low/1292_Debian-Java_BoF_Session.ogv
> [4] http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2010/debconf10/low/1293_Packaging_with_javahelper.ogv
> [5] http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2010/debconf10/low/1294_Debian-java_policy_changes.ogv

~Niels

Old 11-07-2011, 04:02 AM
Aditya Patawari

Hey Everyone,

I am Aditya Patawari (irc/fedoraproject.org handle: adimania,
UTC+0530). I work as a system admin and I can work with Puppet and
Python. I have a bit experience in setting up koji and pulp servers
(though I am not an expert). I would like to contribute to fedora
Infrastructure. I have been reading the Infrastructure getting started
page on wiki and I think I would be able to devote 8-10 hours a week.

I would like to work in an environment where I can help out with
puppet. Please let me know if there is anything suitable for me.

--
Aditya Patawari
http://blog.adityapatawari.com/

Old 11-07-2011, 08:29 AM
Ricky Elrod

Hi there and welcome - I encourage you to hang out in #fedora-admin and #fedora-noc and get to know us, we don't bite....too hard. ;-)
We also have weekly meetings in #fedora-meeting, on Thursdays: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/Meetings

Is there any particular area of interest you'd like to contribute to? This page lists our 'easyfix' tickets, for people who are just getting started: https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-infrastructure/report/14

Do any of those look particularly interesting?

-re

Old 11-07-2011, 08:53 AM
Aditya Patawari

Hi,

On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 2:59 PM, Ricky Elrod <codeblock@elrod.me> wrote:
> Hi there and welcome
Thanks

> - I encourage you to hang out in #fedora-admin and
> #fedora-noc and get to know us, we don't bite....too hard. ;-)
> We also have weekly meetings in #fedora-meeting, on Thursdays:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/Meetings
I'll be there for sure.

> Is there any particular area of interest you'd like to contribute to?
I would like to help out with puppet and koji. Also I know a bit about
nagios and pulp. So I don't mind looking into them too. Though I am
not an expert on the tools I mentioned but I would try to help out as
much as I can and also learn in the process.

#2783 (Check file changes against puppet for validity) and #2885
(check syslog for all known hosts) looks interesting to me. Maybe I
can co-ordinate with the ticket owners and provide assistance to them
in any manner.

Old 01-04-2012, 02:45 AM
"Daniel J. Ashcom"

Greetings to everyone!

My name's Danny and I wanted to introduce myself and offer my help
with the Fedora Infrastructure group. I just finished a grad-level
course last semester on Linux administration (CentOS 6) and will be
studying soon for RHCSA. I've been casually learning Linux for a few
years now. My experience is limited to simple shell scripts and basic
administration tasks but I'm a fast learner and really excited about
helping out and expanding my skill-set.

I finally took the plunge and switched my laptop over to Fedora
16, which I use for all of my daily computing needs. To me it's much
more than just a hobby because I have strong convictions about the open
source software movement and I see the importance that the internet
plays vis a vis social media and political awakenings just this last
year. That's not to mention I have so many long-standing interests that
intersect here (writing, web design & digital art, security,
programming, music production, increasing the utilization of computers
for treatment of PTSD and other forms of mental illness.) I'm also a
therapist, by the way.

I'm very much interested in:
--learning Perl, Python or any other languages that could be put to use;
(my)SQL;

--system administration;
--troubleshooting;
--writing content;

What I've learned so far:
I may not remember every bit of it but last semester I covered a wide
range of essential system administration tasks such as service
management, securing systems, setting up web, ftp, ntp, nfs and other
servers, mySQL, basic Bash and Perl scripting, basic Java, C
programming, backups, troubleshooting and many other things.

Thanks and I very much look forward to developing a working relationship
with all of you and the many things I will undoubtedly learn from doing
so. Please let me know where I can begin in becoming a productive
member of the team.

Danny Ashcom (irc: dashcom)

Old 01-30-2012, 12:41 AM
Nick Bebout

Hi, I guess I should send my introduction to the list. I've helped
with a few design team tasks already, like making the FUDCon Blacksburg
signs, and making a new Ambassadors North America logo, etc. I don't
really have much experience with design, but am learning.

Nick

--
Nick Bebout
nb@fedoraproject.org

Old 01-30-2012, 03:05 AM
"Onyeibo Oku"

Welcome Nick

Old 01-30-2012, 03:10 AM
María Leandro

Hey nb! welcome!
keep the great work! and was a pleasure to meet you at FUDCon
2012/1/29 Onyeibo Oku <twohotis@gmail.com>

Welcome Nick

Hi, I guess I should send my introduction to the list. *I've helped

with a few design team tasks already, like making the FUDCon Blacksburg

signs, and making a new Ambassadors North America logo, etc. *I don't

really have much experience with design, but am learning.

Nick

--

Nick Bebout

nb@fedoraproject.org

tatica
Maria Gracia Leandro
http://www.tatica.org

LinuxUser= 440285* GPG Public Key: E1CDCC56