Old 09-15-2010, 02:46 AM
Mike McGrath

Default Introduction

On Tue, 14 Sep 2010, Jason Brown wrote:

> Hello everyone, my name is Jason Brown and I would like to contribute
> to the infrastructure team. I am an RHCE and have 5 years experience
> as a systems administrator mainly working with Red Hat and Fedora. I
> have knowledge configuring and working with Apache, Puppet, MySQL,
> BIND, Postfix, and Dovecot along with writing scripts in Python and
> Bash. I would like to work with the sysadmin or the sysadmin-releng
> groups, however any place the infrastructure team needs help is fine
> with me. I live in Michigan and work until 4:30 so making the
> meetings sometimes maybe difficult. I can work about 5-10 hours a
> week on projects.

Welcome Jason, so there's several different sysadmin groups (called
"FIGs"). You can read more about it here if you haven't already:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/GettingStarted

and

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/FIGs

As for sysadmin-releng, that's sort of an overlap team but most of the
work they do is on different lists and things. They're certainly very
busy, doing very complex things and can always use help. Their welcome
page is here:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/ReleaseEngineering

-Mike

Old 09-15-2010, 02:25 PM
Jason Brown

Thanks Mike!
I am looking at gaining more experience with Puppet and Python. Would
it be a better for the releng team or the devel team?

Jason

Old 09-15-2010, 02:44 PM
Mike McGrath

On Wed, 15 Sep 2010, Jason Brown wrote:

> Thanks Mike!
> I am looking at gaining more experience with Puppet and Python. Would
> it be a better for the releng team or the devel team?

Well, hm. Experience with puppet and python aren't really means to an end
in themselves though with python on the devel team, we can certainly find
work for you there.

-Mike

Old 09-18-2010, 02:14 PM
p sena

Hi Team,

Please find my introductory details below:-

* Name - Prabir Senapati
* Time Zone / Country - IST / India
* Basic skills and experiences - Unix (Scripting & moderate admin skills), Perl/CGI (advance level), PHP, HTML, Javascript, C, Apache, MySQL, SCM (version control) tooling.
* Why you're joining - To experience the art of distributed contribution in software/IT development & maintenance. To leverage on critical thinking in this software field by open shared ideas and solutions.
* What you're looking to do - Maintaining the server farms. Know the fundamental setup in various fields like web, packaging, release etc, handle activities and develop web or CLI tools and provide automation applying processes. Contribute to the Perl things. Handle the advance things (handle modules, release, pkg, dist, putting Perl to go with Fedora...). And ofcourse Learn new things...
* How much time you can contribute (usually hours per week) - At first I would like to spend around 6-8 hours in total per week. Work days(like sat, sun, wed, fri...) might not be consistent.

Thanks,
Prabir

Sat Sep 18 16:30:02 2010