Old 03-26-2008, 04:28 PM
"Karsten 'quaid' Wade"

Default Introduction

On Wed, 2008-03-26 at 09:48 -0700, Grady Laksmono wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm Grady Laksmono, I'm an undergraduate Computer Science student at
> California State University, Los Angeles. I'm also an independent web
> developer and consultant. I use Fedora 8 in my PC, love it, and would
> like to be involved with Fedora Project. I wanted to be active and
> promote Fedora by becoming Ambassador and OS Developers. I'm quite new
> with Linux kernel development, but I'm a quick learner. I always want
> to learn more!

Great, always very happy to see more West Coast folks working on Fedora.
From your interests, you might also want to look at what the Websites
and Infrastructure teams are doing; it's not OS development but it's
definitely interesting web development.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Websites/Join
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/Join

- Karsten
Fedora : http://quaid.fedorapeople.org
gpg key : AD0E0C41

Old 03-26-2008, 04:35 PM
Greg DeKoenigsberg

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008, Grady Laksmono wrote:

Hi all,
I'm Grady Laksmono, I'm an undergraduate Computer Science student at
California State University, Los Angeles. I'm also an independent web
developer and consultant. I use Fedora 8 in my PC, love it, and would
like to be involved with Fedora Project. I wanted to be active and
promote Fedora by becoming Ambassador and OS Developers. I'm quite new
with Linux kernel development, but I'm a quick learner. I always want
to learn more!

Hi Grady -- welcome aboard.

A good place to start, in case you haven't already been:

http://fedoraproject.org/en/join-fedora

--g

--
Greg DeKoenigsberg
Community Development Manager

Old 03-26-2008, 08:53 PM
Marc Wiriadisastra

On Wed, 2008-03-26 at 09:48 -0700, Grady Laksmono wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm Grady Laksmono, I'm an undergraduate Computer Science student at
> California State University, Los Angeles. I'm also an independent web
> developer and consultant. I use Fedora 8 in my PC, love it, and would
> like to be involved with Fedora Project. I wanted to be active and
> promote Fedora by becoming Ambassador and OS Developers. I'm quite new
> with Linux kernel development, but I'm a quick learner. I always want
> to learn more!
>
> Thanks,
> Grady Laksmono
> www.laksmono.com

Hi Grady and Welcome.

Old 03-27-2008, 01:14 PM
Devang Desai

Hi,

Am located in India, and am here basically to learn more about Edubuntu
and thin clients...

Well, we are just setting up a new 35-machine computer lab in our school
for kids from Nursery to Grade V, for which Edubuntu seems to be a good
choice with its variety of educational software.

We have our old Celeron and P3 machines that have been planned to re-use
as thin clients under Windows Server. A new server machine will be
purchased and the lab shall have completely new networking.

I am myself using Edubuntu server on my home PC for almost a year, and
find it much superior to Windows. However, I find it difficult to
recommend it for my school lab, since the thin client technology is a
bit tricky. More so, since we will have clients with different hardware
configurations.

Since I am a newbie, can this mailing list provide help on installation
and troubleshooting problems on thin clients?

Please help.

Regards,

Devang.

Old 04-02-2008, 10:25 PM
"dave slaughter"

**** First off I would like to thank Nicu Buculei for e-mailing me and inviting me to join after I submitted my app, so thank you Nicu.
**** Now, I would like to introduce myself to the rest of the members, my name is Dave, and I am from just outside Boston Mass. in the United States. I have been using Linux for about 4-5 years now, and have been doing computer graphic design for as long as I have been using computers, so since the original apple II. I just enjoy doing artwork, be it wallpapers, web banners, GDM's (just started on making those), or anything else. I just started using Fedora again, after not using a Red Hat based system since Red Hat 6, been using mostly Debian base OS's, but I am very pleased with F8, very nice, clean distro.

**** I would like to start work with the art team and try to get involved in making artwork for Fedora, be it (as I stated above) wallpapers, GDMs, or anything else that may be of use to the team, and would also like to be a part of something that I believe is of great value, and try to give back to the Fedora community in some way, as my programing skills leave something to be desired.

**** I will stop here and keep this short as not to take of too much of all of time.
So hello everybody, and I look forward to working with you all of on whatever projects may be ahead.
Sincerely,
Dave S.

Old 04-02-2008, 11:35 PM
Mark

2008/4/3, dave slaughter <slaughter.dave@gmail.com>:
> First off I would like to thank Nicu Buculei for e-mailing me and
> inviting me to join after I submitted my app, so thank you Nicu.
> Now, I would like to introduce myself to the rest of the members, my
> name is Dave, and I am from just outside Boston Mass. in the United States.
> I have been using Linux for about 4-5 years now, and have been doing
> computer graphic design for as long as I have been using computers, so since
> the original apple II. I just enjoy doing artwork, be it wallpapers, web
> banners, GDM's (just started on making those), or anything else. I just
> started using Fedora again, after not using a Red Hat based system since Red
> Hat 6, been using mostly Debian base OS's, but I am very pleased with F8,
> very nice, clean distro.
> I would like to start work with the art team and try to get involved
> in making artwork for Fedora, be it (as I stated above) wallpapers, GDMs, or
> anything else that may be of use to the team, and would also like to be a
> part of something that I believe is of great value, and try to give back to
> the Fedora community in some way, as my programing skills leave something to
> be desired.
> I will stop here and keep this short as not to take of too much of all
> of time.
> So hello everybody, and I look forward to working with you all of on
> whatever projects may be ahead.
> Sincerely,
> Dave S.

Hi Dave,

Welcome to the fedora art list!
It's great that you are willing to spend your time on improving the
look of fedora.

Could you perhaps post some links to things you've made before?
and i'm really looking forward to the things you are making now for fedora.

Thanx so far,
Mark

Old 04-02-2008, 11:59 PM
Martin Sourada

On Wed, 2008-04-02 at 18:25 -0400, dave slaughter wrote:
> First off I would like to thank Nicu Buculei for e-mailing me and
> inviting me to join after I submitted my app, so thank you Nicu.
> Now, I would like to introduce myself to the rest of the members,
> my name is Dave, and I am from just outside Boston Mass. in the United
> States. I have been using Linux for about 4-5 years now, and have been
> doing computer graphic design for as long as I have been using
> computers, so since the original apple II. I just enjoy doing artwork,
> be it wallpapers, web banners, GDM's (just started on making those),
> or anything else. I just started using Fedora again, after not using a
> Red Hat based system since Red Hat 6, been using mostly Debian base
> OS's, but I am very pleased with F8, very nice, clean distro.
> I would like to start work with the art team and try to get
> involved in making artwork for Fedora, be it (as I stated above)
> wallpapers, GDMs, or anything else that may be of use to the team, and
> would also like to be a part of something that I believe is of great
> value, and try to give back to the Fedora community in some way, as my
> programing skills leave something to be desired.
> I will stop here and keep this short as not to take of too much
> of all of time.
> So hello everybody, and I look forward to working with you all of on
> whatever projects may be ahead.
> Sincerely,
> Dave S.
Hello Dave and welcome to the art team. I look forward to working with
you as well.

I don't know know how much you followed the happenings here in the past,
so I'll shortly summarize some of the projects you might help with.

* We are finalizing the artwork for F9 [1] and you perhaps noticed we
started discussing about the artwork for F10 [2]. If you have any ideas,
comments, work, etc. feel free to share them with us.

* We are making the new Fedora icon theme, called Echo [3]. Sadly
enough it is currently actively developed only by me and Luya
Tshimbalanga and we don't have enough time to make fast progress. So any
help is welcome here as well.

* I am developing the Fedora default gtk engine/theme, Nodoka [4],
which is currently reaching 0.7.0 stable version that will be included
in F9 and I hope to start working on 0.8 branch after the release. If
you have any suggestions (design, code, etc.) feel free to post them.

There are also various smaller tasks like design service [5] or
hackergotchi service [6].

Though this is not a complete list, I hope it gave you some insight as
to what are we doing now.

If you have any questions about the happenings, how can you help with
the above (or other artwork) projects, or any other thing that concerns
art team, feel free to ask

Regards,
Martin

[2] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork/F10Themes
[3] https://fedorahosted.org/echo-icon-theme/
[4] https://fedorahosted.org/nodoka
[5] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork/DesignService
[6] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork/HackergotchiService

Old 04-03-2008, 11:25 PM
Dave Slaughter

r unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit

Re: Introduction

From:
Mark <markg85@gmail.com>

[...]

I haven't made too much that I have put out for others, I have made
some stuff and put it on Gnome-Look.org, most of it for a distro called
LinuxMint, as that is the distro I have been using for the last year or
so, you can see it here http://www.gnome-look.org/content/mycontent.php?PHPSESSID=98a828c786143b6c75224023a8 6ac45a

Some of it I made when I first started making things for Linux, some
things I thought just looked kind of cool, but I have never seriously
worked on art for a product, so things I make for Fedora will be much
cleaner and more polished.

*** I'll try and get some stuff I made for myself posted somewhere so
you can see what I can actually do, as the stuff on Gnome-Look is
sometimes cartoonish.

*** As for GTK themes, as I've said before, my coding skills are not so
great, so I have not made any GTK themes as of yet, still looking for a
good tutorial for learning that, but wallpapers, GDM's, web banners,
and that sort of thing, I can do pretty well, (I think).

Old 04-03-2008, 11:29 PM
"Pavel Shevchuk"

You should check URLs you're pasting mycontent.php displays content
of user logged in

http://scwlab.com

Old 04-04-2008, 06:32 AM
Nicu Buculei

Pavel Shevchuk wrote:

You should check URLs you're pasting mycontent.php displays content
of user logged in

Wow! gnome-look is really bad for such kind of linking... To see Dave's
work go to http://www.gnome-look.org/content/search.php and search for
"provided by: mclovin".