Old 07-02-2010, 08:48 PM
Mike McGrath

Default Introduction

On Fri, 2 Jul 2010, Liam Dunn wrote:

> Hey guys,
> I'm Liam Dunn, and looking to participate in an open source project that will let me put my current knowledge into practice, and also further extend my knowledge,
> particularly in the areas of system administration of Linux systems and networking. Having done some looking around, Fedora looks like the ideal place.
>
> I am in Year 9 at high school (equivalent to a high school sophomore in the US), and have been coding for 6 years in a wide variety of languages, such as Python, Ruby, C,
> C#, JavaScript, Lisp, and have also dabbled in languages such as C++, Haskell, and Io. I have been using Linux for 3 years now.
>
> I am located in Melbourne, Australia, and spend a lot of time on IRC under the name "baddog", particuarly Freenode, and Ninthbit, a small IRC network which I help operate.
>
> I would particularly like to get involved with sysadmin-devel, sysadmin-noc, and sysadmin-tools.

It's really best to pick one thing in particular. Were you looking to do
administrative tasks or development?

-Mike

Old 07-02-2010, 10:41 PM
Liam Dunn

Development would be better at this stage, as I have more experience there.

-Liam

Old 07-05-2010, 02:51 PM
Toshio Kuratomi

On Sat, Jul 03, 2010 at 08:41:58AM +1000, Liam Dunn wrote:
> Development would be better at this stage, as I have more experience there.

If you're looking at doing development we have a variety of web apps in
Fedora that we need to maintain. We tend to write everything we do in
python.

Quick question -- do you have any experience making releases of software?
Particularly software that uses python's distutils? We currently have
a bottleneck getting a few releases out the door and making some alpha
candidate tarballs might be a good way to start.

-Toshio (abadger1999 on irc)

Old 07-05-2010, 10:33 PM
Liam Dunn

No, I don't, but I'll poke around google a bit and see what docs I can dig up, and see what I can do

-Liam

Old 08-17-2010, 12:36 PM
Niki Kovacs

Hi,

I'm an Austrian sysadmin living in Montpezat, a small village in South France.
I'm 100% GNU/Linux since Slackware 7.1 (around 2001). I've been using
Slackware and Debian mostly for a few years, then I started working for the
local town hall and a dozen public libraries around here, to migrate everyone
from Windows (or nothing) to Linux and free software (nice job, huh?). That
was back in 2006, and at the time, I chose CentOS for the job, on both servers
and desktops.

Last year I created a small computer business, based solely on Linux and free
software, and aimed at SOHO users: http://www.microlinux.fr. Around the same
time, I published a book about Linux, focusing on command-line administration,
but also explaining all the necessary desktop details for "power users" coming
from the Windows world. The book has been (and still is) quite a success in
France, with several thousand copies sold. I put a freely available online
version on my site (check out the "Linux aux petits oignons" link).

Lately, I got a bit tired of my "good old workhore" CentOS, which feels to me
like a 4WD Lada, the sort the peasants around here are driving. Nearly
impossible to destroy, but then, sometimes you feel more like driving a
Maserati. (Myself I drive an old BMW 1000cc motorbike, but every now and then,
I enjoy a ride on a buddy's Yamaha R1.) So I went and wiped CentOS 5.5 (GNOME)
from my main PC and replaced all with a clean Fedora 13 (KDE) install.

So far, I really like it. I'm simply astonished by the look and feel and
functionality of the KDE desktop (after a false start with KDE4.0 when it came
out D). Looks like in the near future, I'll definitely migrate to Fedora,
only to keep CentOS on my servers. Looks like a perfect combination.

I did quite some RTFM (on howtoforge.com and similar sites) on how to fine-tune
Fedora, and I guess I'll be around here for all the stuff I can't figure out by
myself.

Cheers from the sunny South of France,

Niki

Old 08-17-2010, 12:49 PM
Parshwa Murdia

On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 6:06 PM, Niki Kovacs <contact@kikinovak.net> wrote:

> I'm an Austrian ...[snip]

Great to know about you.

Parshwa Murdia

Old 08-17-2010, 08:25 PM

Niki Kovacs writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'm an Austrian sysadmin living in Montpezat, a small village in South France.

Hi Niki,

Welcome aboard!

PS: you should try the Gnome version as well. It's how Centos 6 will
probably look like ;-)

--
Nux!
www.nux.ro

Old 08-17-2010, 11:56 PM
suvayu ali

On 17 August 2010 13:25, <nux@li.nux.ro> wrote:
> Niki Kovacs writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm an Austrian sysadmin living in Montpezat, a small village in South France.
>
> Hi Niki,
>
> Welcome aboard!
>
> PS: you should try the Gnome version as well. It's how Centos 6 will
> probably look like ;-)

If you like lightweight desktops, I would recommend XFCE or LXDE. I
use XFCE myself, it has all the conveniences of a modern desktop with
none of the intensive stuff. It comes with a very decent collection of
default apps too.

Welcome to Fedora!

--
Suvayu

Old 08-18-2010, 03:31 AM
Niki Kovacs

Le mercredi 18 août 2010 01:56:17, suvayu ali a écrit :

> If you like lightweight desktops, I would recommend XFCE or LXDE. I
> use XFCE myself, it has all the conveniences of a modern desktop with
> none of the intensive stuff. It comes with a very decent collection of
> default apps too.

Thanks for the hint. I've been an XFCE fan for a few years, using it on my
low-specs machines since 3.x. But right now I just like the idea of a full-
blown desktop, where I can "Save as..." and directly SSH into a remote PC.
Dolphin is a real hit.

Cheers,

Niki

Old 08-18-2010, 11:23 AM