Old 11-24-2009, 01:53 AM
Toshio Kuratomi

Default introduction

On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 03:08:06PM -0500, pablomar wrote:
> hi guys,
>
> my name is pablo martinez, I've been using fedora at home since version 3
> I'm C/C++ and Java programmer and I did a little of python some years ago (I
> still use it for small things). I've also worked with Oracle and Pro*C
> I want to collaborate as much as I can

Welcome!

We do a fair amount of coding in Fedora Infrastructure creating web
applications for the project. Most of that work is done in python. We're
using the TurboGears1 and TurboGears2 frameworks for those. If you're
interested in that we can help get you started.

If you're more interested in doing some work in C++, there's a few upstream
projects that would definitely benefit Fedora for getting some attention.

For instance, we have been wanting to get a good open source whiteboarding
tool working with Fedora so that we can make mockups, create diagrams, and
make use of other pictorial things during meetings. Inkscape has the
beginnings of a plugin but it needs someone to work on it to actually make
it actually work. If you're interested in that, the upstream developers are
quite interested in getting some help and one of the devs is willing to help
get someone up to speed on what needs to be done:

Blog post on getting the whiteboard plugin worked on:
http://www.advogato.org/person/badger/diary/82.html

The KDE SIG is another Fedora group that is in need of C++ coders. Right
now we have a good group of KDE packagers but having a few more coders will
let them work more closely on any bugs that occur and also help drive
features upstream. If you use the KDE desktop, they'd be very happy to hear
from more coders:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/KDE

-Toshio

Old 11-24-2009, 03:11 AM
Gregory Sieranski

Hi guys,

I just wanted to introduce myself. I am a Programmer Analyst who works for a
large fortune 500 company. I have been using Fedora for over 3 years and
would love to give back in any way that I can. I absolutely love what Fedora

and open source does and believe in both 100%. I am skilled in Java, J2EE,

C, C++, Python, HTML, CSS and a bunch of other technologies. I am an avid

programming language enthusiast and am working toward getting my Masters in

Computer Science. I would love to contribute to the website project in any

way that I can. I deal with website technology on a daily basis and feel

that I would be able to provide a lot of help to the fedora website team. No

task is to small. If you guys just need someone to enter text or change a

CSS style I am willing to do it. Thank you for your time and I look forward

to talking with all of you!
Gregory Sieranski

Old 11-24-2009, 01:22 PM
pablomar

hey Toshio,

thank you very much. I'll join the whiteboarding project
regards,** * * * *pablomar

Old 11-26-2009, 06:41 PM
Mike Maravillo

Hi everyone,

My name is Mike Maravillo and I'd like to join the Fedora community,
particularly the Infrastructure group. I started using Linux way back
with Slackware 3.0 as a system administrator for a local ISP in the
Philippines. Since then, I've been connected with companies doing
consulting, training, and technical support using Linux and Open
Source. I've also done software development projects using C, PHP,
Perl, and Python/PyGTK.

Joining the Infrastructure group would be a good chance for me to
contribute and bring back to the community, and hopefully would quench
that thirst to learn more of what's current since I've been mostly
involved with programming lately.

Cheers,
Mike

Old 11-27-2009, 10:26 PM
Mike McGrath

On Fri, 27 Nov 2009, Mike Maravillo wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> My name is Mike Maravillo and I'd like to join the Fedora community,
> particularly the Infrastructure group. I started using Linux way back
> with Slackware 3.0 as a system administrator for a local ISP in the
> Philippines. Since then, I've been connected with companies doing
> consulting, training, and technical support using Linux and Open
> Source. I've also done software development projects using C, PHP,
> Perl, and Python/PyGTK.
>
> Joining the Infrastructure group would be a good chance for me to
> contribute and bring back to the community, and hopefully would quench
> that thirst to learn more of what's current since I've been mostly
> involved with programming lately.

Are you primarly looking to do administration or development? Have you
seen our getting started page? -
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/GettingStarted

-Mike

Old 11-28-2009, 02:29 AM
Mike Maravillo

On Sat, Nov 28, 2009 at 7:26 AM, Mike McGrath <mmcgrath@redhat.com> wrote:

> Are you primarly looking to do administration or development? *Have you
> seen our getting started page? *-
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/GettingStarted

Hi Mike,

I was thinking of doing administration and some development on the
side, either under the sysadmin-web or sysadmin-tools FIGs. Or simply
anything that would get me to familiarize and get started would be
great.

Cheers,
Mike

Old 12-02-2009, 09:56 AM
Thanos Koukoulis

Hi everyone

My name is Thanos Koukoulis and I would like to join the
fedora infrastructure group and contribute to the Fedora project.

I have been a Linux sys-admin since 2000 working mainly with RHEL and CentOS

setting up and maintaining a variety of web,mail and ftp servers.
For the last 2 years I have been working as an outside consultant,*
setting up and offering support for Linux Servers as well as implementing
solutions like IP Telephony, Messaging, Document Management and Process Management

Joining the infrastructure team would give me a chance to contribute back to
the community as well as get involved with new projects.

Thanks

Thanos

Old 12-02-2009, 08:54 PM
Patrick Day

Hello All,

My name is Patrick Day, and I have been using Fedora for a few years now, and I absolutely enjoy working with it. I like it so much in fact that I have decided to contribute to the Fedora community. I have been a Software Test Engineer in many different facets (I will also sign up for the QA project) for about 4.5 yrs, and as such I gained valuable experience in writing scripts, programming, and debugging; I seek to contribute whatever I can. I am interested in the infrastructure project because I would to refine and improve my programming skills in general. If anyone has any questions about my experience please feel free to contact me.

- Patrick

Old 12-04-2009, 06:13 PM
Mike McGrath

On Wed, 2 Dec 2009, Patrick Day wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> My name is Patrick Day, and I have been using Fedora for a few years now, and I absolutely enjoy working with it. I like
> it so much in fact that I have decided to contribute to the Fedora community. I have been a Software Test Engineer in
> many different facets (I will also sign up for the QA project) for about 4.5 yrs, and as such I gained valuable
> experience in writing scripts, programming, and debugging; I seek to contribute whatever I can. I am interested in the
> infrastructure project because I would to refine and improve my programming skills in general. If anyone has any
> questions about my experience please feel free to contact me.

The qa group is a great up-and-comming group in that there are several
massive changes going on in that group. Given your experience I'm sure
you'll do well.

In Infrastructure we hang out on irc.freenode.net in #fedora-admin stop by
sometime and say hello.

-Mike

Old 12-17-2009, 07:30 PM
Maxim Burgerhout

Hi all,

My name is Maxim Burgerhout and I would like to offer some of my spare
time to help out the Fedora Infrastructure Team a bit. I have been
using various flavors of Linux ever since Red Hat 6 (I think), though
not always as a professional. The last couple of years I have been
working as a Linux and virtualization consultant for a fairly large
organization in the Netherlands.

My experience with maintaining web- and build-servers is limited: I
mostly work with RHEL database servers etc., but I'm willing to invest
time to acquire the (possibly missing) skills I would need to help
out.

I think I have ample experience in writing shellscripts. I have also
done my share of Python programming and some Rails, PHP and Django
webdevelopment.

I really like Fedora and I am ready to start giving back. Also,
helping out the Infrastrucure Team would provide me with a base of
learning new skills, honing existing ones and meeting knowledgeable
people.

I'll drop by in #fedora-admin soon if that's okay. Feel free to ask me
stuff: my usual handle is wzzrd. I'm not sure what to put in this
e-mail, so if I'm missing something, please point it out and I'll fill
in the blanks.

Kind regards,

Maxim Burgerhout
maxim@wzzrd.com