Old 10-28-2009, 01:06 PM
susmit shannigrahi

Default Ok. Looks like this one _may_ fulfill our calendering needs. Testing required.

Hi,

Zarafa is up at Publictest16.
Anyone want to test?

Please refer to last three comments of

Thanks.

Susmit.

Old 10-28-2009, 01:41 PM
susmit shannigrahi

> Can I get an account? *How will we do FAS?

You can use admin/admin.
The user is added the unix way, ($useradd way, though it has a
different command). So, if there is some application/script to sync
authentication that way, that should work.

Thanks.

Susmit.

Old 10-28-2009, 06:08 PM
susmit shannigrahi

> hmm that would mean we would have to sync the FAS auth DB by the hour
> or some fixed duration right?

Right.
But I think that this should not be much of a problem.

Susmit.

Old 10-28-2009, 06:14 PM
susmit shannigrahi

> That shouldn't be a problem but is there an LDAP plugin that is
> available? and if yes can we use it?

But we don't have a LDAP

Susmit.

Old 01-22-2010, 07:08 AM
Adam Williamson

On Wed, 2009-10-28 at 19:36 +0530, susmit shannigrahi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Zarafa is up at Publictest16.
> Anyone want to test?
>
> Please refer to last three comments of
> https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-infrastructure/ticket/1197

As I posted to the ticket, I've come across another candidate which
appears to meet the requirements and which I don't _think_ we've
dismissed already - eGroupWare:

http://www.egroupware.org/

it has a decent web interface, doesn't seem to be insane in any way,
doesn't need Java (it's PHP), is fairly mature and actively developed,
and has CalDAV support for the calendaring stuff.

I'm probably going to deploy it on my own network for my own needs, will
try to report back on how that goes. My servers run Mandriva, where it's
packaged (though a very old version, I'm currently updating the
packages).
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey

Old 01-22-2010, 10:16 AM
Adam Williamson

> As I posted to the ticket, I've come across another candidate which
> appears to meet the requirements and which I don't _think_ we've
> dismissed already - eGroupWare:
>
> http://www.egroupware.org/
>
> it has a decent web interface, doesn't seem to be insane in any way,
> doesn't need Java (it's PHP), is fairly mature and actively developed,
> and has CalDAV support for the calendaring stuff.
>
> I'm probably going to deploy it on my own network for my own needs,
> will
> try to report back on how that goes. My servers run Mandriva, where
> it's
> packaged (though a very old version, I'm currently updating the
> packages).

Well...it works!

http://www.happyassassin.net/extras/egroupware_caldav_it_works.png

egroupware's web interface on the right showing the test appointment I
set up, evolution on the left showing the same appointment: it's
accessing the calendar from my personal egroupware server, via CalDAV
(see the left hand pane).

It seems like a pretty impressive little beastie, too. I managed to kill
it by somewhat inadvisedly trying to use its webmail support with my
fairly underpowered mail server's gigantic IMAP mail boxes, without
using the imapproxy instance I have set up on the mail server. I think
it timed out on something and left its MySQL database in a broken state.
But that's the only problem I had. I haven't gone beyond setting up the
test calendar appointment and verifying Evo could connect to it, really,
but I'll stress it a bit more tomorrow by trying to get SyncML working,
sticking my *real* calendar in it, and trying contacts as well.

The server I'm using runs Mandriva; I've updated Mandriva's egroupware
packages for this purpose. It'd be fairly trivial to convert the
packages to Fedora. Upstream actually provides Fedora packages, but at a
glance they're not terribly clean. I haven't checked whether there are
any private copies of what ought to be shared resources in egroupware
yet, really, but at a glance it doesn't involve any hideous packaging
nightmares; it's all just PHP, and it seems to use shared resources
where appropriate (it uses quite a lot of php-pear stuff).

Do poke me on IRC if you have any questions. Will duplicate this post on
the ticket.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey

Old 01-22-2010, 03:24 PM
Jorge A Gallegos

On that note:

At my work someone brought up Zarafa (zarafa.com) as a possible
replacement for zimbra (which we already use), and, although I haven't
used it yet, looks like a nice and complete suite. I am not a legal
expert either, so you may want to check on that as well.

My 2c.

Old 01-22-2010, 05:13 PM
Adam Williamson

On Fri, 2010-01-22 at 08:24 -0800, Jorge A Gallegos wrote:
> On that note:
>
> At my work someone brought up Zarafa (zarafa.com) as a possible
> replacement for zimbra (which we already use), and, although I haven't
> used it yet, looks like a nice and complete suite. I am not a legal
> expert either, so you may want to check on that as well.

That's already the latest one Susmit's trying - see a few posts back in
the thread, it's up on publictest16. egroupware seems slightly less
commercial-oriented, and slightly less interested in being an Exchange
Server clone, to me, but either would probably work.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey

Old 01-22-2010, 06:18 PM
Brennan Ashton

On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 6:16 AM, Adam Williamson <awilliam@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-01-22 at 00:08 -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:
>
>> As I posted to the ticket, I've come across another candidate which
>> appears to meet the requirements and which I don't _think_ we've
>> dismissed already - eGroupWare:
>>
>> http://www.egroupware.org/
>>
>> it has a decent web interface, doesn't seem to be insane in any way,
>> doesn't need Java (it's PHP), is fairly mature and actively developed,
>> and has CalDAV support for the calendaring stuff.
>>
>> I'm probably going to deploy it on my own network for my own needs,
>> will
>> try to report back on how that goes. My servers run Mandriva, where
>> it's
>> packaged (though a very old version, I'm currently updating the
>> packages).
>
> Well...it works!
>
> http://www.happyassassin.net/extras/egroupware_caldav_it_works.png
>
> egroupware's web interface on the right showing the test appointment I
> set up, evolution on the left showing the same appointment: it's
> accessing the calendar from my personal egroupware server, via CalDAV
> (see the left hand pane).
>
> It seems like a pretty impressive little beastie, too. I managed to kill
> it by somewhat inadvisedly trying to use its webmail support with my
> fairly underpowered mail server's gigantic IMAP mail boxes, without
> using the imapproxy instance I have set up on the mail server. I think
> it timed out on something and left its MySQL database in a broken state.
> But that's the only problem I had. I haven't gone beyond setting up the
> test calendar appointment and verifying Evo could connect to it, really,
> but I'll stress it a bit more tomorrow by trying to get SyncML working,
> sticking my *real* calendar in it, and trying contacts as well.
>
> The server I'm using runs Mandriva; I've updated Mandriva's egroupware
> packages for this purpose. It'd be fairly trivial to convert the
> packages to Fedora. Upstream actually provides Fedora packages, but at a
> glance they're not terribly clean. I haven't checked whether there are
> any private copies of what ought to be shared resources in egroupware
> yet, really, but at a glance it doesn't involve any hideous packaging
> nightmares; it's all just PHP, and it seems to use shared resources
> where appropriate (it uses quite a lot of php-pear stuff).
>
> Do poke me on IRC if you have any questions. Will duplicate this post on
> the ticket.
> --
> Adam Williamson

I have deployed this as well a few times thought its history and it
has served me well each time. One thing to consider is how large of a
service it is, I have never really had to bother with trimming all the
"extra" features (mail, address book etc...) from it.

Brennan Ashton

Old 01-23-2010, 08:01 AM
Adam Williamson

On Fri, 2010-01-22 at 14:18 -0500, Brennan Ashton wrote:

> I have deployed this as well a few times thought its history and it
> has served me well each time. One thing to consider is how large of a
> service it is, I have never really had to bother with trimming all the
> "extra" features (mail, address book etc...) from it.

It's fairly well modularized. See the Mandriva package list:

egroupware-developer_tools
egroupware-egw-pear
egroupware-emailadmin
egroupware-etemplate
egroupware-felamimail
egroupware-filemanager
egroupware-gallery
egroupware-icalsrv
egroupware-importexport
egroupware-infolog
egroupware-manual
egroupware-mydms
egroupware-news_admin
egroupware-notifications
egroupware-phpbrain
egroupware-phpsysinfo
egroupware-polls
egroupware-projectmanager
egroupware-registration
egroupware-sambaadmin
egroupware-sitemgr
egroupware-syncml
egroupware-timesheet
egroupware-tracker
egroupware-wiki
egroupware-workflow

all you really need installed for it to work at a basic level is the
main package, emailadmin (the setup process won't complete without it),
etemplate and calendar. Well, calendar was listed as a dependency by the
previous maintainer, who I'm assuming knew what he was doing. I can't
personally confirm that the app doesn't work without it. You don't need
even the webmail chunk, let alone any of the more esoteric bits.

I did test it some more today. I have working three-way sync of my real
calendar and contacts - egroupware / desktop / laptop. Evolution seems
quite flaky at transferring large amounts of data all at once -
especially, for instance, trying to dump 50 contacts direct from a
Google calendar (accessed by CalDAV) into the egroupware calendar (also
accessed by CalDAV) tends to make it fall over. But I suspect that's as
much Evo as anything else, I don't think anyone's really stressed its
CalDAV capabilities much, and I'm running Rawhide. Once I got the data
in, in small enough lumps, it works fine.

I can't seem to make my Windows Mobile phone sync with the egroupware
server; it should be possible via the Funambol client for Windows
Mobile, which does SyncML synchronization. egroupware supports SyncML,
and this is the method upstream recommends for syncing with WM devices.
I can set it up and it claims to run correctly, but no data ever appears
on the phone. That's not really a big deal from the Fedora viewpoint,
though, it's not one of our requirements for the project and I'd guess
most Fedora people have Android phones or iPhones, not WM phones. I'll
probably give it a few more tries over the weekend or next week and see
if I can figure out what's wrong.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey