Old 12-13-2007, 02:33 AM
Mike McGrath

Default Request for monotone

we've had a request to support monotone on hosted. Instead of having
this conversation in private I thought it best to put it on the list.
So thoughts? This is part "do we want to support monotone" and part "do
we want hosted to be more then svn, hg, git, bzr".

In general I'm happy supporting only those 4, we can't be everything for
everyone and AFAIK we're the only OSS project with a hosted offering
that supports 4 SCM's.

Thoughts?

-Mike

Old 12-13-2007, 02:46 AM
"Yaakov Nemoy"

On Dec 12, 2007 10:33 PM, Mike McGrath <mmcgrath@redhat.com> wrote:
> we've had a request to support monotone on hosted. Instead of having
> this conversation in private I thought it best to put it on the list.
> So thoughts? This is part "do we want to support monotone" and part "do
> we want hosted to be more then svn, hg, git, bzr".
>
> In general I'm happy supporting only those 4, we can't be everything for
> everyone and AFAIK we're the only OSS project with a hosted offering
> that supports 4 SCM's.
>
> Thoughts?

+0

Old 12-13-2007, 02:50 AM
"Jeffrey Ollie"

On 12/12/07, Mike McGrath <mmcgrath@redhat.com> wrote:
> we've had a request to support monotone on hosted. Instead of having
> this conversation in private I thought it best to put it on the list.
> So thoughts? This is part "do we want to support monotone" and part "do
> we want hosted to be more then svn, hg, git, bzr".
>
> In general I'm happy supporting only those 4, we can't be everything for
> everyone and AFAIK we're the only OSS project with a hosted offering
> that supports 4 SCM's.

I think that if:

1) The SCM is in RHEL/EPEL.
2) There are real projects that want to use it (and that we feel like
will stick around).
3) Implementation is fairly straightforward
4) Someone on the hosted admin team is willing/able to install/support it.

We should.

Supporting more than just SVN and CVS is one way we can distinguish
Fedora Hosted from other project hosting.

Jeff

Old 12-13-2007, 02:55 AM
Jesse Keating

On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 21:33:19 -0600
Mike McGrath <mmcgrath@redhat.com> wrote:

> we've had a request to support monotone on hosted. Instead of having
> this conversation in private I thought it best to put it on the
> list. So thoughts? This is part "do we want to support monotone" and
> part "do we want hosted to be more then svn, hg, git, bzr".
>
> In general I'm happy supporting only those 4, we can't be everything
> for everyone and AFAIK we're the only OSS project with a hosted
> offering that supports 4 SCM's.

So far, the SCMs we support have been driven mostly by the SCMs that
Trac supports, with the exception to bzr which I had nothing to do with
setting up.

So the questions are, does Trac support monotone, does monotone lend
itself to a hosted environment (easy ssh commit access, http anon
access, useful web browser, easy to create empty repos for developers
to fill, etc...), is it in EPEL, does it have a security track record,
and uh... is there anybody on the infrastructure team that feels like
they could become our site expert on it?

--
Jesse Keating

Old 12-13-2007, 02:56 AM
seth vidal

On Wed, 2007-12-12 at 21:50 -0600, Jeffrey Ollie wrote:
> On 12/12/07, Mike McGrath <mmcgrath@redhat.com> wrote:
> > we've had a request to support monotone on hosted. Instead of having
> > this conversation in private I thought it best to put it on the list.
> > So thoughts? This is part "do we want to support monotone" and part "do
> > we want hosted to be more then svn, hg, git, bzr".
> >
> > In general I'm happy supporting only those 4, we can't be everything for
> > everyone and AFAIK we're the only OSS project with a hosted offering
> > that supports 4 SCM's.
>
> I think that if:
>
> 1) The SCM is in RHEL/EPEL.
> 2) There are real projects that want to use it (and that we feel like
> will stick around).
> 3) Implementation is fairly straightforward
> 4) Someone on the hosted admin team is willing/able to install/support it.
>
> We should.
>
> Supporting more than just SVN and CVS is one way we can distinguish
> Fedora Hosted from other project hosting.

we are supporting more the svn/cvs. We're supporting: git, bzr, hg, cvs,
svn

that's quite a lot, actually.

-sv

Old 12-13-2007, 02:57 AM
"Stephen John Smoogen"

On Dec 12, 2007 8:50 PM, Jeffrey Ollie <jeff@ocjtech.us> wrote:
> On 12/12/07, Mike McGrath <mmcgrath@redhat.com> wrote:
> > we've had a request to support monotone on hosted. Instead of having
> > this conversation in private I thought it best to put it on the list.
> > So thoughts? This is part "do we want to support monotone" and part "do
> > we want hosted to be more then svn, hg, git, bzr".
> >
> > In general I'm happy supporting only those 4, we can't be everything for
> > everyone and AFAIK we're the only OSS project with a hosted offering
> > that supports 4 SCM's.
>
> I think that if:
>
> 1) The SCM is in RHEL/EPEL.
> 2) There are real projects that want to use it (and that we feel like
> will stick around).
> 3) Implementation is fairly straightforward
> 4) Someone on the hosted admin team is willing/able to install/support it.
>
> We should.
>
> Supporting more than just SVN and CVS is one way we can distinguish
> Fedora Hosted from other project hosting.

I would also say that the people wanting XYZ SCM need to volunteer to
help 'us' on it. As in hosted-help-monotone questions go to someone
who can answer them versus someone else who can't. If they can provide
that help and training.. that is a +, if they can't it is a definate
-.

Old 12-13-2007, 03:22 AM
Jesse Keating

On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 22:56:04 -0500
seth vidal <skvidal@fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> cvs

AFAIK we don't actually offer CVS for hosted projects. Trac doesn't
support it, and our first rule should be "Do No Harm" (:

--
Jesse Keating

Old 12-13-2007, 04:24 AM
Mike McGrath