-   -   CIA integration (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-infrastructure/177177-cia-integration.html)

Mike McGrath 10-16-2008 02:02 AM

CIA integration

So I was going through some old tickets and stumbled across this:

I gave it a quick look over and I'm not against this integration but I'm
generally apathetic about it. So I ask if anyone here is interested
enough to get it into Fedora. I'm not sure if both the server and client
versions are provided there but it looks like what is there is GPLv2.

Thoughts?

-Mike

seth vidal 10-16-2008 03:04 AM

CIA integration

On Wed, 2008-10-15 at 21:02 -0500, Mike McGrath wrote:
> So I was going through some old tickets and stumbled across this:
>
> https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-infrastructure/ticket/164
>
> I gave it a quick look over and I'm not against this integration but I'm
> generally apathetic about it. So I ask if anyone here is interested
> enough to get it into Fedora. I'm not sure if both the server and client
> versions are provided there but it looks like what is there is GPLv2.

doesn't look interesting to me, either.

-sv

Nigel Jones 10-16-2008 04:20 AM

CIA integration

On Wed, 2008-10-15 at 21:02 -0500, Mike McGrath wrote:
> So I was going through some old tickets and stumbled across this:
>
> https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-infrastructure/ticket/164
>
> I gave it a quick look over and I'm not against this integration but I'm
> generally apathetic about it. So I ask if anyone here is interested
> enough to get it into Fedora. I'm not sure if both the server and client
> versions are provided there but it looks like what is there is GPLv2.
>
> Thoughts?
I've been looking at it, here is my thoughts:

Fedora CVS:
* We'd gain visibility from having people see our commits to packages
* As such, we'd be able to show that we are active and not a pack of
dodos

Fedora Hosted:
* SVN: Scripts work natively and I'd really be interested in getting
this going for interested projects
* Git: Would require a bit more investigation, but it looks 'okay' and
possible - I'd be willing to do this
* HG: I recall even upstream do this

In my opinion, while there are no direct benefits, it does promote some
visibility for Fedora/Fedora Hosted/our hosted projects.

As such, I'd be willing to step up to the plate and do this.

N.B> They are just publicly available scripts, I see no benefit to
including such scripts as a separate package, especially as there are so
many different scripts for different VCS' the maintainability of such a
package would be just NUTS

--
Nigel Jones <dev@nigelj.com>

Mike McGrath 10-16-2008 01:13 PM

CIA integration

On Thu, 16 Oct 2008, Nigel Jones wrote:

> On Wed, 2008-10-15 at 21:02 -0500, Mike McGrath wrote:
> > So I was going through some old tickets and stumbled across this:
> >
> > https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-infrastructure/ticket/164
> >
> > I gave it a quick look over and I'm not against this integration but I'm
> > generally apathetic about it. So I ask if anyone here is interested
> > enough to get it into Fedora. I'm not sure if both the server and client
> > versions are provided there but it looks like what is there is GPLv2.
> >
> > Thoughts?
> I've been looking at it, here is my thoughts:
>
> Fedora CVS:
> * We'd gain visibility from having people see our commits to packages
> * As such, we'd be able to show that we are active and not a pack of
> dodos
>
> Fedora Hosted:
> * SVN: Scripts work natively and I'd really be interested in getting
> this going for interested projects
> * Git: Would require a bit more investigation, but it looks 'okay' and
> possible - I'd be willing to do this
> * HG: I recall even upstream do this
>
> In my opinion, while there are no direct benefits, it does promote some
> visibility for Fedora/Fedora Hosted/our hosted projects.
>
> As such, I'd be willing to step up to the plate and do this.
>
> N.B> They are just publicly available scripts, I see no benefit to
> including such scripts as a separate package, especially as there are so
> many different scripts for different VCS' the maintainability of such a
> package would be just NUTS

Putting it in a package is 2 fold. If the scripts really do change so
often they can't go in a package then perhaps we shouldn't deploy them as
thats a high cost for us to maintain. Also by packaging them, and the
server portion if its available, we know we're using open source clients
and submiting to an open source server. Even if we aren't running the
server I think its important that for integration with us that the server
software be available.

-Mike

Bill Nottingham 10-16-2008 01:47 PM

CIA integration

Mike McGrath (mmcgrath@redhat.com) said:
> So I was going through some old tickets and stumbled across this:
>
> https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-infrastructure/ticket/164
>
> I gave it a quick look over and I'm not against this integration but I'm
> generally apathetic about it. So I ask if anyone here is interested
> enough to get it into Fedora. I'm not sure if both the server and client
> versions are provided there but it looks like what is there is GPLv2.
>
> Thoughts?

Oof, I should have done something with this a long time ago - I didn't see
a huge benefit for it, so I never allocated time to it. But I should have
said so in the ticket.

Bill