FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora Infrastructure

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 10-07-2008, 11:55 PM
"Stephen John Smoogen"
 
Default Some architectural changes

On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 4:41 PM, Mike McGrath <mmcgrath@redhat.com> wrote:
> So we've finally completed some consolidation we've been working on for
> the past couple of months. We've also added a new class of server (bappX
> servers). What does this all mean?
>

tres tres cool


--
Stephen J Smoogen. -- BSD/GNU/Linux
How far that little candle throws his beams! So shines a good deed
in a naughty world. = Shakespeare. "The Merchant of Venice"

_______________________________________________
Fedora-infrastructure-list mailing list
Fedora-infrastructure-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-infrastructure-list
 
Old 10-08-2008, 12:08 AM
"Anand Capur"
 
Default Some architectural changes

> So we've finally completed some consolidation we've been working on for

> the past couple of months. *We've also added a new class of server (bappX

> servers). *What does this all mean?

>



tres tres cool





--

Stephen J Smoogen. -- BSD/GNU/Linux

How far that little candle throws his beams! So shines a good deed

in a naughty world. = Shakespeare. "The Merchant of Venice"


Yeah, +++1. Sounds VERY cool . Just shows how cool we are!
-Anand

_______________________________________________
Fedora-infrastructure-list mailing list
Fedora-infrastructure-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-infrastructure-list
 
Old 10-08-2008, 01:46 PM
Bret McMillan
 
Default Some architectural changes

Mike McGrath wrote:


Well, app1+ are now all identical, for the most part. This allows us to
think of our app servers as truly being part of a farm. The exception to
this right now is those apps requiring our nfs mount in PHX. I'm still
debating what to do about this but so far haven't really come up with a
good answer.


2 choices come to mind:

1) accept that they're a different category, and partition them accordingly

2) could maybe tinker around w/ some things like MogileFS or HDFS or
something even crazier



We'll be distributing load with haproxy. Just because an app is on a
server doesn't mean that it will get hit. This allows us to distribute
load intelligently and hopefully allow us to get local proxies preferring
local app servers so geoIP dns can be deployed.


Do all apps get deployed to all servers in this category?


The bapp servers (there's only 1 right now) will be our job control
servers. Right now we kind of just have cron jobs spread all over the
place and in some instances this has caused problems with production
traffic.


Cool. How many bapp servers are we running these days, and how do we
choose what gets run where?


--Bret

_______________________________________________
Fedora-infrastructure-list mailing list
Fedora-infrastructure-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-infrastructure-list
 
Old 10-08-2008, 02:52 PM
Mike McGrath
 
Default Some architectural changes

On Wed, 8 Oct 2008, Bret McMillan wrote:

> Mike McGrath wrote:
>
> > Well, app1+ are now all identical, for the most part. This allows us to
> > think of our app servers as truly being part of a farm. The exception to
> > this right now is those apps requiring our nfs mount in PHX. I'm still
> > debating what to do about this but so far haven't really come up with a
> > good answer.
>
> 2 choices come to mind:
>
> 1) accept that they're a different category, and partition them accordingly
>
> 2) could maybe tinker around w/ some things like MogileFS or HDFS or something
> even crazier
>
> > We'll be distributing load with haproxy. Just because an app is on a
> > server doesn't mean that it will get hit. This allows us to distribute
> > load intelligently and hopefully allow us to get local proxies preferring
> > local app servers so geoIP dns can be deployed.
>
> Do all apps get deployed to all servers in this category?
>

Not all apps but most web apps. In particular this is our 'new fedora
release day' stuff which includes the wiki, docs, get.fp.o, and the mirror
list. Koji wouldn't be on these hosts nor would asterisk.

> > The bapp servers (there's only 1 right now) will be our job control
> > servers. Right now we kind of just have cron jobs spread all over the
> > place and in some instances this has caused problems with production
> > traffic.
>
> Cool. How many bapp servers are we running these days, and how do we choose
> what gets run where?
>

Just one and when bapp2 gets made it'll be more of an 'active' and
'passive' setup. So all of them will go on one until such a time comes
that we're seeing performance issues then we'll re-evaluate.

-Mike

_______________________________________________
Fedora-infrastructure-list mailing list
Fedora-infrastructure-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-infrastructure-list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 02:37 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org