Old 10-03-2008, 03:35 PM
Thomas Spura

Default smtp-server?

Hi.

Sorry if this discussion has already been made...

Why isn't it possible to configure an smtp-server to send
username@fedoraproject.org mails?

Without it, I'm not able to properly use my fedora-mailadress - at least
at the moment.

Or are there any workarounds for people without an own mail-server?

-Thomas

Old 10-03-2008, 07:30 PM
Mike McGrath

On Fri, 3 Oct 2008, Thomas Spura wrote:

> Hi.
>
> Sorry if this discussion has already been made...
>
> Why isn't it possible to configure an smtp-server to send
> username@fedoraproject.org mails?
>
> Without it, I'm not able to properly use my fedora-mailadress - at least
> at the moment.
>
> Or are there any workarounds for people without an own mail-server?

In your mail client you should be able to set a @fedoraproject.org
address. Lots of other providers support this as well (like gmail for
example)

-Mike

Old 10-04-2008, 12:01 AM
Thomas Spura

At the moment, it should not be possible to set a @fedoraproject.org
adress in any mail client - natively.
Only via From headers, which allows your email to appear as being 'from'
your aliases, but only appearing...[1]
I whished you could set up a smpt server in order to make it possible to
send mails from the fedoraproject account.
At the moment i'm only able to receive mails, via another mail-box, but
am not able to sent mails which 'appear' to be from @fedoraproject.org

Thomas

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EmailAliases

Old 10-04-2008, 01:18 AM
Nigel Jones

On Sat, 2008-10-04 at 02:01 +0200, Thomas Spura wrote:
> At the moment, it should not be possible to set a @fedoraproject.org
> adress in any mail client - natively.
> Only via From headers, which allows your email to appear as being 'from'
> your aliases, but only appearing...[1]
> I whished you could set up a smpt server in order to make it possible to
> send mails from the fedoraproject account.
> At the moment i'm only able to receive mails, via another mail-box, but
> am not able to sent mails which 'appear' to be from @fedoraproject.org
I'm against this because of the risk of some idiot deciding to use our
SMTP server to send bunches of SPAM e-mails. Add in issues with RBLs
and what not.

I should also add that this is nowhere near a fix as many ISPs have
started blocking SMTP access for their users to servers that they do not
control, for this very same reason. So no, I don't think configuring an
SMTP server with worth the time and effort for a few people that are
unable to 'fake' the From: field in their clients.

- Nigel

Nigel Jones <dev@nigelj.com>