Old 09-28-2008, 11:38 PM
Mike McGrath

Default func logrotate fix

On Sun, 28 Sep 2008, Jon Stanley wrote:

> I'll throw a -1 in here (not that my vote matters for anything ).
> Not because of any risk in the change, but rather it violates the
> concept of a change freeze. It doesn't affect service, so if I went to
> our change management meeting at work with something like this during
> a change freeze I'd be laughed out of the room and told to wait.
>
> In my mind, we either have change freezes and stick to them, or we
> just forgo the charade.

Next time you get laughed at tell those laughing that they should work to
design a more flexable environment where risks are properly evaulated
instead of blindly feared. Having control over your environment is
important, when your environment has control over you, you've done it
wrong

-Mike

Old 09-28-2008, 11:43 PM
Jeroen van Meeuwen

Jon Stanley wrote:

I'll throw a -1 in here (not that my vote matters for anything ).
Not because of any risk in the change, but rather it violates the
concept of a change freeze. It doesn't affect service, so if I went to
our change management meeting at work with something like this during
a change freeze I'd be laughed out of the room and told to wait.

When such a thing happens, and it does, I wait for the big outage I
can't recover from without changing stuff during a change freeze, and
drag their sorry asses back in the conference room.

First thing on the agenda of course is appending "> /dev/null" to the
condrestart of some logrotate file, not the outage.

-Jeroen

Old 09-29-2008, 04:04 PM
"Yaakov Nemoy"

On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 7:28 PM, Jon Stanley <jonstanley@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'll throw a -1 in here (not that my vote matters for anything ).
> Not because of any risk in the change, but rather it violates the
> concept of a change freeze. It doesn't affect service, so if I went to
> our change management meeting at work with something like this during
> a change freeze I'd be laughed out of the room and told to wait.
>
> In my mind, we either have change freezes and stick to them, or we
> just forgo the charade.

I thought the point of a change freeze is so that we are more cautious
about changes we have to make. Since everyone seems to approve the
idea of making such a change during the change freeze, it seems
acceptable to do so.

-Yaakov