Old 09-23-2008, 06:58 PM
Mike McGrath

Default Stale Fedora Hosted Projects (revisited)

Getting back to this. What should we do with code to which no one claims
ownership or the owner cannot be found?

-Mike

Old 09-23-2008, 08:48 PM
Jeroen van Meeuwen

Mike McGrath wrote:

Getting back to this. What should we do with code to which no one claims
ownership or the owner cannot be found?

Has something like an AWOL procedure been considered?

-Jeroen

Old 09-23-2008, 09:53 PM
Mike McGrath

On Tue, 23 Sep 2008, Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:

> Mike McGrath wrote:
> > Getting back to this. What should we do with code to which no one claims
> > ownership or the owner cannot be found?
> >

> Has something like an AWOL procedure been considered?

Not really, thats kind of what I'm probing about. People didn't like the
6 month rule so I'm fine getting rid of that. But someone needs to be
accountable for the code itself at all times and I'm hoping to have some
policy in place that clearly states it.

-Mike

Old 09-23-2008, 10:56 PM
Brett Lentz

On Tue, 2008-09-23 at 16:53 -0500, Mike McGrath wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Sep 2008, Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
>
> > Mike McGrath wrote:
> > > Getting back to this. What should we do with code to which no one claims
> > > ownership or the owner cannot be found?
> > >

> > Has something like an AWOL procedure been considered?
> >

> Not really, thats kind of what I'm probing about. People didn't like the
> 6 month rule so I'm fine getting rid of that. But someone needs to be
> accountable for the code itself at all times and I'm hoping to have some
> policy in place that clearly states it.
>
> -Mike

I'd prefer to not see orphaned projects go away completely, if there is
some way to keep them around in a stripped down, minimalist format.

The process I'd like to see would be:

1. Do the usual 6 month project no-activity process.
2. If there is no response in N days, or mail to the project admin
bounces in a fatal way (i.e. "no such user" vs. "mailbox full"), we call
out to the general fedora-devel community to see if anyone wants to
adopt the project and become its new maintainer.
3. If no new maintainer is found, we would then migrate the project to a
central repository for orphaned projects.

The central repository would contain a bare minimum of the project's
files:

* a tar.bz2 of the last revision of all files, with no revision history.
* an archive of any documentation, such as the trac wiki pages. (again,
just the text, with no need to preserve revision history)

This way, we can preserve a stripped down version of the project's files
for a (hopefully) lower infrastructure cost.

Would something like this be possible/desired?

---Brett.

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's
character, give him power.
-- Abraham Lincoln

Old 09-23-2008, 11:14 PM
Mike McGrath

On Tue, 23 Sep 2008, Brett Lentz wrote:

> On Tue, 2008-09-23 at 16:53 -0500, Mike McGrath wrote:

> > > Has something like an AWOL procedure been considered?
> > >

> > Not really, thats kind of what I'm probing about. People didn't like the
> > 6 month rule so I'm fine getting rid of that. But someone needs to be
> > accountable for the code itself at all times and I'm hoping to have some
> > policy in place that clearly states it.
> >
> > -Mike
>

> I'd prefer to not see orphaned projects go away completely, if there is
> some way to keep them around in a stripped down, minimalist format.
>
> The process I'd like to see would be:
>
> 1. Do the usual 6 month project no-activity process.
> 2. If there is no response in N days, or mail to the project admin
> bounces in a fatal way (i.e. "no such user" vs. "mailbox full"), we call
> out to the general fedora-devel community to see if anyone wants to
> adopt the project and become its new maintainer.
> 3. If no new maintainer is found, we would then migrate the project to a
> central repository for orphaned projects.

For how long would 3) happen?

-Mike

Old 09-23-2008, 11:32 PM
Nigel Jones

On Tue, 2008-09-23 at 13:58 -0500, Mike McGrath wrote:
> Getting back to this. What should we do with code to which no one claims
> ownership or the owner cannot be found?
* Make Trac Read Only (maybe static content too, in
old.fedorahosted.org/projectname/)
* Disable commit group in FAS (in particular to get rid of cla+1
entitlements if the commit group is their only group)
* Chown SCM dir to remove write access

- Nigel

Old 09-23-2008, 11:43 PM
Mike McGrath

On Wed, 24 Sep 2008, Nigel Jones wrote:

> On Tue, 2008-09-23 at 13:58 -0500, Mike McGrath wrote:
> > Getting back to this. What should we do with code to which no one claims
> > ownership or the owner cannot be found?
> * Make Trac Read Only (maybe static content too, in
> old.fedorahosted.org/projectname/)
> * Disable commit group in FAS (in particular to get rid of cla+1
> entitlements if the commit group is their only group)
> * Chown SCM dir to remove write access

For how long? Here's the concern. At some point between now and the end
of time decisions are going to have to be made about these projects. I'm
trying to have us learn a lesson from the elvis move as well trying to
make sure other's lack of planning doesn't become Infrastructures problem.
Something has to happen with bits that belong to no one, so far no one has
put a time limit on any of these things.

-Mike

Old 09-23-2008, 11:50 PM
Brett Lentz

On Tue, 2008-09-23 at 18:14 -0500, Mike McGrath wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Sep 2008, Brett Lentz wrote:

> > > Not really, thats kind of what I'm probing about. People didn't like the
> > > 6 month rule so I'm fine getting rid of that. But someone needs to be
> > > accountable for the code itself at all times and I'm hoping to have some
> > > policy in place that clearly states it.
> > >
> > > -Mike
> >

> > I'd prefer to not see orphaned projects go away completely, if there is
> > some way to keep them around in a stripped down, minimalist format.
> >
> > The process I'd like to see would be:
> >
> > 1. Do the usual 6 month project no-activity process.
> > 2. If there is no response in N days, or mail to the project admin
> > bounces in a fatal way (i.e. "no such user" vs. "mailbox full"), we call
> > out to the general fedora-devel community to see if anyone wants to
> > adopt the project and become its new maintainer.
> > 3. If no new maintainer is found, we would then migrate the project to a
> > central repository for orphaned projects.
> >

> For how long would 3) happen?
>
> -Mike

I think that it depends on our constraints. Perhaps we could measure our rate of
growth, and strike a balance between maintaining an orphaned projects archive and
our available resources?

As this is one of those "nice to have" type of deals, I would expect these archived
files to be first on the chopping block if we need to free up infrastructure
resources for something that's more actively maintained.

If you want to set a more firm SLA, how does 2 years (one RHEL release cycle) sound?

--

---Brett.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:53 PM
Nigel Jones

On Tue, 2008-09-23 at 18:43 -0500, Mike McGrath wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Sep 2008, Nigel Jones wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 2008-09-23 at 13:58 -0500, Mike McGrath wrote:
> > > Getting back to this. What should we do with code to which no one claims
> > > ownership or the owner cannot be found?
> > * Make Trac Read Only (maybe static content too, in
> > old.fedorahosted.org/projectname/)
> > * Disable commit group in FAS (in particular to get rid of cla+1
> > entitlements if the commit group is their only group)
> > * Chown SCM dir to remove write access
> >

> For how long? Here's the concern. At some point between now and the end
> of time decisions are going to have to be made about these projects. I'm
> trying to have us learn a lesson from the elvis move as well trying to
> make sure other's lack of planning doesn't become Infrastructures problem.
> Something has to happen with bits that belong to no one, so far no one has
> put a time limit on any of these things.
IIRC the GPL at least requires that the code be kept for 3 years (hence
why we can't clean the look-a-side cache from memory).

We could do this a variety of ways, tarball a SCM dump and throw it on
archives.fp.o for instance.

- Nigel

Old 09-23-2008, 11:59 PM
Jeroen van Meeuwen

Nigel Jones wrote:

IIRC the GPL at least requires that the code be kept for 3 years (hence
why we can't clean the look-a-side cache from memory).

AFAIK that only goes to /distribution/ under GPLv2 section 3b, not the
"upstream" SCM, but then again I'm not sure and it may be worthwhile
looking into the requirements of the Licenses of the software in these SCMs.

-Jeroen