FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora Infrastructure

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 09-09-2008, 03:40 PM
Mike McGrath
 
Default Removal of old projects from fedorahosted.

On Tue, 9 Sep 2008, susmit shannigrahi wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This is w.r.t to ticket #714[1].
>
> As explained by mmcgrath, Fedora has a policy to remove _any_ hosted
> projects that are
> not altered or updated for last six months.
>
> Here is the list of projects, which falls into this category and they
> will soon be removed.
>
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> These directories have not been altered for 6 months
> /srv/svn/hardlink group: svnhardlink
> /srv/svn/package-jitsu group: svnpackage-jitsu
> /srv/svn/repoview group: svnrepoview
> /srv/svn/ols group: svnols
> /srv/svn/setarch group: svnsetarch
> /srv/svn/authd group: svnauthd
> /srv/svn/system-config-keyboard.old group: svnsystem-config-keyboard
>
>
> /srv/hg/camelus group: hgcamelus
> /srv/hg/passwd group: hgpasswd
> /srv/hg/bodhi.old group: gitbodhi
> /srv/hg/guest-account group: hgguest-account
> /srv/hg/timeconfig group: hgtimeconfig
> /srv/hg/LHCP group: hgLHCP
> /srv/hg/virt-manager group: hgvirt-manager
> /srv/hg/pam-redhat group: hgpam-redhat
> /srv/hg/tmpwatch group: hgtmpwatch
>
>
> /srv/git/splatbind.git group: gitsplatbind
> /srv/git/system-config-securitylevel.git group: gitsystem-config-securitylevel
>
>
> If you have any update with respect to this, and don't want any/some
> project(s) be removed, please
> let us know.
>
>
> [1]https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-infrastructure/ticket/714
>

So I guess the best thing from here is to send an email to each group
notifying them of what has happened and why we'd like to remove their
project. tell them how to get the code off if they still want it, etc,
etc.

Lots of people on this list use hosted projects, what do you think?

-Mike

_______________________________________________
Fedora-infrastructure-list mailing list
Fedora-infrastructure-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-infrastructure-list
 
Old 09-09-2008, 04:00 PM
Bill Nottingham
 
Default Removal of old projects from fedorahosted.

Mike McGrath (mmcgrath@redhat.com) said:
> > [1]https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-infrastructure/ticket/714
>
> So I guess the best thing from here is to send an email to each group
> notifying them of what has happened and why we'd like to remove their
> project. tell them how to get the code off if they still want it, etc,
> etc.
>
> Lots of people on this list use hosted projects, what do you think?

I'm leery of having a hard and fast 6-month-rule; especially for
projects which aren't translated, it's possible to have a decent period
without code changes.

Maybe review-at-six-months?

Bill

_______________________________________________
Fedora-infrastructure-list mailing list
Fedora-infrastructure-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-infrastructure-list
 
Old 09-09-2008, 04:02 PM
Jeremy Katz
 
Default Removal of old projects from fedorahosted.

On Tue, 2008-09-09 at 20:33 +0530, susmit shannigrahi wrote:
> As explained by mmcgrath, Fedora has a policy to remove _any_ hosted
> projects that are
> not altered or updated for last six months.

Hmmm -- this seems a little problematic. It's definitely possible to
have a "mature" project which doesn't see a lot of changes. Not that
all of these necessarily fall into that case, but some of them
definitely do

Jeremy

_______________________________________________
Fedora-infrastructure-list mailing list
Fedora-infrastructure-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-infrastructure-list
 
Old 09-09-2008, 04:13 PM
Mike McGrath
 
Default Removal of old projects from fedorahosted.

On Tue, 9 Sep 2008, Jeremy Katz wrote:

> On Tue, 2008-09-09 at 20:33 +0530, susmit shannigrahi wrote:
> > As explained by mmcgrath, Fedora has a policy to remove _any_ hosted
> > projects that are
> > not altered or updated for last six months.
>
> Hmmm -- this seems a little problematic. It's definitely possible to
> have a "mature" project which doesn't see a lot of changes. Not that
> all of these necessarily fall into that case, but some of them
> definitely do
>

It's not actually a hard and fast rule. The wording is:

https://fedorahosted.org/web/terms

"The Fedora Project reserves the right to remove any project from our
system that does not meet the following criteria:

1. Code contained in the project does not meet our license requirements
2. No significant changes have been committed or applied for at least
six (6) months
"

-Mike

_______________________________________________
Fedora-infrastructure-list mailing list
Fedora-infrastructure-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-infrastructure-list
 
Old 09-09-2008, 04:50 PM
"Debarshi Ray"
 
Default Removal of old projects from fedorahosted.

> As explained by mmcgrath, Fedora has a policy to remove _any_ hosted
> projects that are
> not altered or updated for last six months.

I am pleasantly suprised to see that Opyum is not in that list. :-)

The thing with Opyum is that its functionality has been very nicely
ported to PackageKit by one of my friends during this year's Google
Summer of Code. Fedora 8 still caries Opyum, but its useless for
Fedora 9 and onwards. I just want to wait till Fedora 8 is EOLed after
which I would not want it to hog resources on fedorahosted.org any
more.

Happy hacking,
Debarshi

_______________________________________________
Fedora-infrastructure-list mailing list
Fedora-infrastructure-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-infrastructure-list
 
Old 09-09-2008, 07:35 PM
Matt Domsch
 
Default Removal of old projects from fedorahosted.

On Tue, Sep 09, 2008 at 12:02:04PM -0400, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-09-09 at 20:33 +0530, susmit shannigrahi wrote:
> > As explained by mmcgrath, Fedora has a policy to remove _any_ hosted
> > projects that are
> > not altered or updated for last six months.
>
> Hmmm -- this seems a little problematic. It's definitely possible to
> have a "mature" project which doesn't see a lot of changes. Not that
> all of these necessarily fall into that case, but some of them
> definitely do

yeah, like setarch. Isn't likely to change much...


--
Matt Domsch
Linux Technology Strategist, Dell Office of the CTO
linux.dell.com & www.dell.com/linux

_______________________________________________
Fedora-infrastructure-list mailing list
Fedora-infrastructure-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-infrastructure-list
 
Old 09-09-2008, 08:23 PM
Ian Weller
 
Default Removal of old projects from fedorahosted.

On Tue, Sep 09, 2008 at 10:20:25PM +0530, Debarshi Ray wrote:
> The thing with Opyum is that its functionality has been very nicely
> ported to PackageKit by one of my friends during this year's Google
> Summer of Code. Fedora 8 still caries Opyum, but its useless for
> Fedora 9 and onwards. I just want to wait till Fedora 8 is EOLed after
> which I would not want it to hog resources on fedorahosted.org any
> more.
>
SourceForge.net (gah! I know) has a policy that not only prevents
projects from being automatically removed simply for the sake of being
idle, but that prevents most projects from being removed at all, even at
the developer's request; this policy is for the contingency of source
code, making it still available to people who still want it, even though
the project may be dead.

If there's no way to retrieve the source code for a project that has
been removed from Fedora Hosted, is the project not gone forever -- and
more importantly, do we want that?

--
Ian Weller <ianweller@gmail.com> http://ianweller.org
GnuPG fingerprint: E51E 0517 7A92 70A2 4226 B050 87ED 7C97 EFA8 4A36
"Technology is a word that describes something that doesn't work yet."
~ Douglas Adams
_______________________________________________
Fedora-infrastructure-list mailing list
Fedora-infrastructure-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-infrastructure-list
 
Old 09-09-2008, 08:35 PM
Mike McGrath
 
Default Removal of old projects from fedorahosted.

On Tue, 9 Sep 2008, Ian Weller wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 09, 2008 at 10:20:25PM +0530, Debarshi Ray wrote:
> > The thing with Opyum is that its functionality has been very nicely
> > ported to PackageKit by one of my friends during this year's Google
> > Summer of Code. Fedora 8 still caries Opyum, but its useless for
> > Fedora 9 and onwards. I just want to wait till Fedora 8 is EOLed after
> > which I would not want it to hog resources on fedorahosted.org any
> > more.
> >
> SourceForge.net (gah! I know) has a policy that not only prevents
> projects from being automatically removed simply for the sake of being
> idle, but that prevents most projects from being removed at all, even at
> the developer's request; this policy is for the contingency of source
> code, making it still available to people who still want it, even though
> the project may be dead.
>

This is one of the things we're hoping to prevent with fedorahosted. The
hope is that the fedorahosted brand will be known for good, active
projects. Not vaporware.

> If there's no way to retrieve the source code for a project that has
> been removed from Fedora Hosted, is the project not gone forever -- and
> more importantly, do we want that?
>

Depends. We'll certainly be contacting the project members and let them
know whats up giving them the option to grab the raw source tree (already
available via rsync) and the trac install.

In general from the infrastructure side I'd say we want to keep the
barrier to enter low but the quality high. Certainly there's projects
that don't need to be updated every 6 months but we can identify those and
deal accordingly.

-Mike

_______________________________________________
Fedora-infrastructure-list mailing list
Fedora-infrastructure-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-infrastructure-list
 
Old 09-09-2008, 08:55 PM
Ian Weller
 
Default Removal of old projects from fedorahosted.

On Tue, Sep 09, 2008 at 03:35:41PM -0500, Mike McGrath wrote:
> This is one of the things we're hoping to prevent with fedorahosted. The
> hope is that the fedorahosted brand will be known for good, active
> projects. Not vaporware.
>
> We'll certainly be contacting the project members and let them
> know whats up giving them the option to grab the raw source tree (already
> available via rsync) and the trac install.
>
> In general from the infrastructure side I'd say we want to keep the
> barrier to enter low but the quality high. Certainly there's projects
> that don't need to be updated every 6 months but we can identify those and
> deal accordingly.
>
None of this seems to agree with the open source philosophy. From what I
understand, one should always be able to access code, whether dead,
buggy, or release candidate, or whatever. I understand the idea of
keeping a code center clean and newish, but I think it would turn away
more projects than dead codebases would.

--
Ian Weller <ianweller@gmail.com> http://ianweller.org
GnuPG fingerprint: E51E 0517 7A92 70A2 4226 B050 87ED 7C97 EFA8 4A36
"Technology is a word that describes something that doesn't work yet."
~ Douglas Adams
_______________________________________________
Fedora-infrastructure-list mailing list
Fedora-infrastructure-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-infrastructure-list
 
Old 09-09-2008, 09:05 PM
Mike McGrath
 
Default Removal of old projects from fedorahosted.

On Tue, 9 Sep 2008, Ian Weller wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 09, 2008 at 03:35:41PM -0500, Mike McGrath wrote:
> > This is one of the things we're hoping to prevent with fedorahosted. The
> > hope is that the fedorahosted brand will be known for good, active
> > projects. Not vaporware.
> >
> > We'll certainly be contacting the project members and let them
> > know whats up giving them the option to grab the raw source tree (already
> > available via rsync) and the trac install.
> >
> > In general from the infrastructure side I'd say we want to keep the
> > barrier to enter low but the quality high. Certainly there's projects
> > that don't need to be updated every 6 months but we can identify those and
> > deal accordingly.
> >
> None of this seems to agree with the open source philosophy. From what I
> understand, one should always be able to access code, whether dead,
> buggy, or release candidate, or whatever. I understand the idea of
> keeping a code center clean and newish, but I think it would turn away
> more projects than dead codebases would.
>

Let me know when you get archives.fedorahosted.org up, I'll make sure to
send all this unused code your way ;-)

We're not trying to be the end all hosting for everyone. If that turns
people away, there are plenty of alternatives. We're looking for people
who have active and interesting projects.

-Mike

_______________________________________________
Fedora-infrastructure-list mailing list
Fedora-infrastructure-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-infrastructure-list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 03:05 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org