-   -   Introductions (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-infrastructure/150043-introductions.html)

Mike Watters 08-28-2008 01:37 AM

Introductions

Hello,
I have applied to the sysadmin group and would like to give you an
overview my experience.

I have been a systems admin or security analyst for 12 years at 3 major
worldwide (US based) companies. the majority of the time I was a
systems admin for Solaris, AIX
I did about 2years of admin work for SGI and HPUX boxes. I did 2 years
of security analyst for Solaris, AIX and RHEL. I have been using Fedora
from Fedora 7 release. I am proficient in Perl, bash, ksh scripting.
I am competent with C, C++ and Java ( I prefer C ) I am looking to
learn Python.

My programming/scripting is almost all CLI apps. I did some TCL/TK
stuff long ago.

I am learning GTK and Glade in my free time. using libglade and C.

I am looking for a sponsor for the Sysadmin group

Please let me know if you would like any further info.

personal info. I have been married for 9 years and have 3 children, 2
boys 7 and 5 and 1 girl 18mo. I shoot pool on an APA league one night a
week, I took the summer off to get some projects done around the
house. I look to start again in a couple of weeks for the Fall session.
I am a SL 5 in the APA. the ratings are from 2 ( extreme novice ) to
7 ( break and run 3 or more of 10 racks )

-- Mike

Mike McGrath 08-28-2008 01:42 PM

Introductions

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008, Mike Watters wrote:

> Hello,
> I have applied to the sysadmin group and would like to give you an overview my
> experience.
>
> I have been a systems admin or security analyst for 12 years at 3 major
> worldwide (US based) companies. the majority of the time I was a systems
> admin for Solaris, AIX
> I did about 2years of admin work for SGI and HPUX boxes. I did 2 years of
> security analyst for Solaris, AIX and RHEL. I have been using Fedora from
> Fedora 7 release. I am proficient in Perl, bash, ksh scripting. I am
> competent with C, C++ and Java ( I prefer C ) I am looking to learn Python.
>
> My programming/scripting is almost all CLI apps. I did some TCL/TK stuff long
> ago.
> I am learning GTK and Glade in my free time. using libglade and C.
>
> I am looking for a sponsor for the Sysadmin group
>
> Please let me know if you would like any further info.
>
> personal info. I have been married for 9 years and have 3 children, 2 boys 7
> and 5 and 1 girl 18mo. I shoot pool on an APA league one night a week, I
> took the summer off to get some projects done around the house. I look to
> start again in a couple of weeks for the Fall session. I am a SL 5 in the APA.
> the ratings are from 2 ( extreme novice ) to 7 ( break and run 3 or more of
> 10 racks )

Welcome Mike! Keep on people until you find a sponsor. Make sure to come
to our meetings if you can make them:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/Meetings

-Mike

Toshio Kuratomi 08-28-2008 05:13 PM

Introductions

Mike Watters wrote:

[...]

Hi Mike, are you interested in continuing to learn python? If so, I
have a bunch of projects that you can help out with from command line
apps to TurboGears web applications.

If you're on IRC, you can ping me on irc.freenode.net #fedora-admin
abadger1999 and let me know what you might be interested in.

-Toshio

Mike 08-28-2008 06:09 PM

Introductions

Toshio,

I am most definitely interested, I will jump on IRC as soon as I can find a hole in the firewall at work,* Otherwise I will be on when I get back home.* I am in US Central Time.* if I can find a hole before the meeting I will attend.

if possible can you shoot me an email with a cli project so I can get a jump on it.

"Frank Chiulli" 08-28-2008 08:30 PM

Introductions

2008/8/28 Mike <valholla75@gmail.com>:
> Toshio,
>
> I am most definitely interested, I will jump on IRC as soon as I can find a
> hole in the firewall at work, Otherwise I will be on when I get back home.
> I am in US Central Time. if I can find a hole before the meeting I will
> attend.
>
> if possible can you shoot me an email with a cli project so I can get a jump
> on it.

Mike,
You might take a look at http://www.mibbit.com. It's a web interface to IRC.

Frank

Bassford John 01-26-2011 03:21 AM

Introductions

Hello Fedora-Infrastructure
I`d like to introduction myself, my name is John Bassford (irc jbass29503 on irc.freenode.net#fedora-admin) and was looking to learn the in/outs of how

the fedora infrstucture group works and possible start to assist with small tasks/projects to assist the fedora project. I have been a sysadmin for about 13 years
now, working both linux and windows sides.

So please look at the info below which is what was recommended from the fedora-wiki, and don`t be in shock.

Name: John Bassford
Time Zone/Country: Eastern/US
BasicSkills/Experiences: SystemAdministrator/Engineer, bash,perl, ldap,rpm packaging, nagios, dns admin, fimilar with puppet
Developerskills: not really, know php, and a little java, but not python

whyJoin: to give back to opensource community, learn new technology and ways, in general to boarden my horizons
Looking to do: observe and get a feel of the infrastructure group
and possible help with these two open tickets to start with, I think they are small and something good for someone new to the group

to start with. (tickets 1152 and 1084 if there really is still work to be done for them, as these active tickets are rather old)
an maybe the Nagios upgrade. (2275)
HowMuchTime: couple hours a day and/or more on a weekend.

I have some hardware to do simulated testing with, a dell server running vmware esx (freeware) which is what I just installed fedora14 on, but somewhat
limited in disk space abou 100GB total local.

Thanks
JB

Benjamin Pierssene 04-23-2013 11:08 AM

Introductions

Hi, my name is benjamin and I have been casually using and sharing ubuntu for about 6 years now. I have sometimes kept windows and tried out other distributions but always come back to ubuntu, with the exception of crunch bang, which Iused with my netbook until it died soon after the warranty expired.

To the point, I am proposing to conduct an "introduction to free software"course for adults at my local community college. There are many small business operators in the region and I feel I have the advantage of an experienced lay user, if I lack the technical expertise.

my intention is to tie this into a software consultancy enterprise targeting home based and startup businesses, and to sponsor community and educational organizations with ubuntu on refurbished computers.

my only fulltime appointment so far was teaching english as a second language for two years, and I have found since that my passion is for education and community growth.

I would appreciate advice or feedback from anyone who has endeavored in this manner already.

Thank you

Benjamin