Old 08-11-2008, 07:54 PM
Mike McGrath

Default DNS serial number

Should the first serial number for a day be 00 or 01? EX:

2008081001 or 2008081000

-Mike

Old 08-11-2008, 07:56 PM
Seth Vidal

On Mon, 2008-08-11 at 14:54 -0500, Mike McGrath wrote:
> Should the first serial number for a day be 00 or 01? EX:
>
> 2008081001 or 2008081000

01 imo

-sv

Old 08-11-2008, 08:03 PM
Roland McGrath

Uh, who cares? It should be at least one less than the number for the
second zone update of the day. ;-)

The elisp mode I use for zone files does 0.
When in doubt, start a 0/1-origin flame war just for the hell of it.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:04 PM
Jeroen van Meeuwen

Mike McGrath wrote:

Should the first serial number for a day be 00 or 01? EX:

2008081001 or 2008081000

Common practice is 01, along with (usually) appending your (account)
name to the '; serial (mmcgrath)' in case you want other people with the
same amount of control over the zone to be able to track down who made
the last change.

-Jeroen

Old 08-11-2008, 08:16 PM
Gianluca Varisco

Mike McGrath wrote:

Should the first serial number for a day be 00 or 01? EX:

2008081001 or 2008081000

-Mike

I always use 01 as first serial number for a day ;-)

Cheers,

--
Gianluca Varisco, RHCE
Intern - Web Engineering, Red Hat Italia

Address/Indirizzo:
Via Antonio Da Recanate 1
20124 Milano

Old 08-11-2008, 08:30 PM
Ryan Ordway

Should the first serial number for a day be 00 or 01? EX:
2008081001 or 2008081000
-Mike

I always use 01 as first serial number for a day ;-)

01 FTW!

--
Ryan Ordway E-mail: rordway@oregonstate.edu
Unix Systems Administrator rordway@library.oregonstate.edu