Old 08-07-2008, 02:40 PM
Nicu Buculei

Default Photo gallery

At the Art team we decided to start collecting photos which can be used
as desktop wallpapers, make a best-of-breed selection and create one or
more packages.

The easiest way to get it running was to [ab]use a wiki page -
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork/Wallpaper_Extras but we
understand that this may not be an optimal use of the wiki and having an
upstream maybe at fedorahosted may be a better solution.

What do you guys thing about that? A gallery plug-in for Trac? A
stand-alone gallery? Any other solution better than using the main
Fedora wiki?

Old 08-07-2008, 03:03 PM
"Jeffrey Ollie"

On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 9:40 AM, Nicu Buculei <nicu_fedora@nicubunu.ro> wrote:

> What do you guys thing about that? A gallery plug-in for Trac? A stand-alone
> gallery? Any other solution better than using the main Fedora wiki?

I've had good luck with gallery2. It's PHP but it's already in Fedora
(but not EPEL). AFAIK it has a decent security history (or at least as
good as PHP web apps get).

http://gallery.menalto.com/

My personal gallery is running at:

http://www.ocjtech.us/gallery2/

I've only done a few customizations, but it's highly themable so it
shouldn't be that hard to give it the "Fedora" look.

Jeff

Old 08-07-2008, 03:15 PM
Nicu Buculei

Jeffrey Ollie wrote:

What do you guys thing about that? A gallery plug-in for Trac? A stand-alone
gallery? Any other solution better than using the main Fedora wiki?

I've had good luck with gallery2. It's PHP but it's already in Fedora
(but not EPEL). AFAIK it has a decent security history (or at least as
good as PHP web apps get).

Supposedly gallery2 has the features we need, how big of a change is to
get it running in fedorahosted?

Old 08-07-2008, 03:36 PM
"Jeffrey Ollie"

On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 10:15 AM, Nicu Buculei <nicu_fedora@nicubunu.ro> wrote:
> Jeffrey Ollie wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 9:40 AM, Nicu Buculei <nicu_fedora@nicubunu.ro>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> What do you guys thing about that? A gallery plug-in for Trac? A
>>> stand-alone
>>> gallery? Any other solution better than using the main Fedora wiki?
>>
>> I've had good luck with gallery2. It's PHP but it's already in Fedora
>> (but not EPEL). AFAIK it has a decent security history (or at least as
>> good as PHP web apps get).
>
> Supposedly gallery2 has the features we need, how big of a change is to get
> it running in fedorahosted?

Firstly we'd need to get gallery2 into EPEL. Then I think we'd want
to wait for version 2.3 of gallery2 which will let us use sqlite
databases instead of mysql / pgsql which will make provisioning (and
backup/restore) much easier. Then also, we'll need to consider the
implications of letting people store images on fedora hosted. The
space requirements will certainly need to be figured out (hosted1 has
plenty of space at the moment but we want to make sure this is
sustainable long-term).

Jeff

Old 08-07-2008, 03:42 PM
Mike McGrath

On Thu, 7 Aug 2008, Nicu Buculei wrote:

> Jeffrey Ollie wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 9:40 AM, Nicu Buculei <nicu_fedora@nicubunu.ro>
> > wrote:
> > > What do you guys thing about that? A gallery plug-in for Trac? A
> > > stand-alone
> > > gallery? Any other solution better than using the main Fedora wiki?
> >
> > I've had good luck with gallery2. It's PHP but it's already in Fedora
> > (but not EPEL). AFAIK it has a decent security history (or at least as
> > good as PHP web apps get).
>
> Supposedly gallery2 has the features we need, how big of a change is to get it
> running in fedorahosted?

0 chance of that happening. Galleries aren't part of the fedorahosted
solution. But we can probably setup some sort of art.fedoraproject.org
site. Couple of requirements include somehow being able to integrate it
with FAS though.

-Mike

Old 08-07-2008, 03:44 PM
Mike McGrath

On Thu, 7 Aug 2008, Jeffrey Ollie wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 10:15 AM, Nicu Buculei <nicu_fedora@nicubunu.ro> wrote:
> > Jeffrey Ollie wrote:

> >> I've had good luck with gallery2. It's PHP but it's already in Fedora
> >> (but not EPEL). AFAIK it has a decent security history (or at least as
> >> good as PHP web apps get).
> >
> > Supposedly gallery2 has the features we need, how big of a change is to get
> > it running in fedorahosted?
>
> Firstly we'd need to get gallery2 into EPEL. Then I think we'd want
> to wait for version 2.3 of gallery2 which will let us use sqlite
> databases instead of mysql / pgsql which will make provisioning (and
> backup/restore) much easier. Then also, we'll need to consider the
> implications of letting people store images on fedora hosted. The
> space requirements will certainly need to be figured out (hosted1 has
> plenty of space at the moment but we want to make sure this is
> sustainable long-term).

Actually we'll probably want to stick with mysql/pgsql so we can run the
front end on multiple hosts and store the photos on the netapp. It'll
allow us to do most upgrades and maintanence without downtime.

-Mike

Old 08-07-2008, 03:57 PM
"Jeffrey Ollie"

On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 10:44 AM, Mike McGrath <mmcgrath@redhat.com> wrote:

> Actually we'll probably want to stick with mysql/pgsql so we can run the
> front end on multiple hosts and store the photos on the netapp. It'll
> allow us to do most upgrades and maintanence without downtime.

Yeah, that'd make the most sense if you're setting up
art.fedoraproject.org rather than something on Fedora Hosted.

Jeff

Old 08-07-2008, 04:07 PM
"Jeffrey Ollie"

On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 10:42 AM, Mike McGrath <mmcgrath@redhat.com> wrote:
> Couple of requirements include somehow being able to integrate it
> with FAS though.

That should be possible, but might involve a custom plugin or something.

Jeff

Old 08-07-2008, 04:29 PM
Toshio Kuratomi