-   -   static F10 Alpha relnotes page (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-infrastructure/137047-static-f10-alpha-relnotes-page.html)

"Karsten 'quaid' Wade" 08-04-2008 08:57 AM

static F10 Alpha relnotes page

Do we want to turn this page static for the Alpha release?

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/10/Alpha/ReleaseNotes

I put out the last call for changes and am making a few myself. Is
there a good target for calling to static for now?

We'll want to make sure we can edit it. Perhaps as part of making it
static we can tell people to post changes to the talk page, then we'll
do irregular updates of the static content?

Thanks - Karsten
Fedora : http://quaid.fedorapeople.org
gpg key : AD0E0C41

Nigel Jones 08-04-2008 12:57 PM

On Mon, 2008-08-04 at 01:57 -0700, Karsten 'quaid' Wade wrote:
> Do we want to turn this page static for the Alpha release?
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/10/Alpha/ReleaseNotes
>
> I put out the last call for changes and am making a few myself. Is
> there a good target for calling to static for now?
To be perfectly honest, I'm not sure we need to worry about it until the
actual release (even them I'm not sure we'll need to). The wiki's
internal caching and mod_cache seem to be useful enough together (yet a
pain for some other things) that for anonymous users it'll be cached
anyway.

We now have 3 machines handling wiki data, and it is from a fairly
powerful DB, so where the caching doesn't help the backend should be
able to pull the weight.

> We'll want to make sure we can edit it. Perhaps as part of making it
> static we can tell people to post changes to the talk page, then we'll
> do irregular updates of the static content?
When making changes to the page, you'd need to go to
https://fedoraproject.org/w/index.php?title=Releases/10/Alpha/ReleaseNotes&action=purge (I'm 99% sure that this will work for all users).

Basically it'll wipe the MW cache etc and display the fresh copy.

I think this would be a rather interesting experiment and I am sure that
Mediawiki will pass with flying colours :). And well, if it does turn
out we need to use static pages, then it's not that hard to do :).

- Nigel

Ricky Zhou 08-04-2008 06:28 PM

On 2008-08-05 12:57:54 AM, Nigel Jones wrote:
> I think this would be a rather interesting experiment and I am sure that
> Mediawiki will pass with flying colours :). And well, if it does turn
> out we need to use static pages, then it's not that hard to do :).
+1 - I think mod_rewriting to static pages should be a thing of the
past :-)

Thanks,
Ricky

Mike McGrath 08-06-2008 02:21 AM

On Tue, 5 Aug 2008, Nigel Jones wrote:

> Basically it'll wipe the MW cache etc and display the fresh copy.
>
> I think this would be a rather interesting experiment and I am sure that
> Mediawiki will pass with flying colours :). And well, if it does turn
> out we need to use static pages, then it's not that hard to do :).

I'd also prefer not to do anything unless we see something fail. During
the actual release it might be good to turn some pages static but not
actually use them. Then its just a config push away from going live in
case the wiki does fail.

AFAIK the wiki has no performance issues when people are not logged in
(this includes most people during release day) and as far as when people
are logged in its due to how we're doing session management. Ricky's
currently looking into one alternative and there's others to look at if it
fails for whatever reason.

-Mike