Old 08-04-2008, 06:31 AM
Ricky Zhou

Default serverbeach2 and serverbeach3 reboot

serverbeach2 (asterisk1, collab1, ns1) and serverbeach3 (asterisk2,
collab2) mysteriously rebooted ~30 minutes ago. Could it have been a
power problem of some sort? There were no useful entries in
/var/log/messages or anything. If we don't find any leads about this
tomorrow, could it be something worth asking ServerBeach about?

Thanks,
Ricky

Old 08-04-2008, 12:17 PM
seth vidal

On Mon, 2008-08-04 at 02:31 -0400, Ricky Zhou wrote:
> serverbeach2 (asterisk1, collab1, ns1) and serverbeach3 (asterisk2,
> collab2) mysteriously rebooted ~30 minutes ago. Could it have been a
> power problem of some sort? There were no useful entries in
> /var/log/messages or anything. If we don't find any leads about this
> tomorrow, could it be something worth asking ServerBeach about?

yes, it is something worth inquiring about.

also - it looks like something on the systems was not running properly
b/c they all had a lot of unsendable mail.

hence all the undelivered mail notices.

-sv

--
I only speak for me.

Old 08-04-2008, 06:27 PM
Ricky Zhou

On 2008-08-04 08:17:50 AM, seth vidal wrote:
> yes, it is something worth inquiring about.
>
> also - it looks like something on the systems was not running properly
> b/c they all had a lot of unsendable mail.
>
> hence all the undelivered mail notices.
There was another problem that maybe have been related to undelivered
mail - apparently, since January 19th, there has been a FAS account
registered with the username "root" (I guess FAS1 didn't block this
one). The account name was just changed to something else yesterday
:-/

Thanks,
Ricky

Old 08-04-2008, 06:27 PM
seth vidal

On Mon, 2008-08-04 at 14:27 -0400, Ricky Zhou wrote:
> On 2008-08-04 08:17:50 AM, seth vidal wrote:
> > yes, it is something worth inquiring about.
> >
> > also - it looks like something on the systems was not running properly
> > b/c they all had a lot of unsendable mail.
> >
> > hence all the undelivered mail notices.
> There was another problem that maybe have been related to undelivered
> mail - apparently, since January 19th, there has been a FAS account
> registered with the username "root" (I guess FAS1 didn't block this
> one). The account name was just changed to something else yesterday
> :-/

/me shudders
root? seriously? Let's go ahead and validate all the other names we
don't like the idea of:

1. pretty much any daemon username in any pkg in fedora
2. all numerics
3. all of the base system usernames

-sv

--
I only speak for me.

Old 08-04-2008, 06:40 PM
Ricky Zhou

On 2008-08-04 02:27:19 PM, seth vidal wrote:
> /me shudders
> root? seriously? Let's go ahead and validate all the other names we
> don't like the idea of:
>
> 1. pretty much any daemon username in any pkg in fedora
> 2. all numerics
> 3. all of the base system usernames
The current blacklist is in configs/web/applications/fas-prod.cfg.erb,
but we'll want to check current names as well.

On the next FAS release, it's being changed from a regex to a
comma-separated list of strings. The only other restriction on
usernames is that they must be lowercase alphanumeric, and must start
with a letter.

Thanks,
Ricky