Old 07-25-2008, 06:07 PM
Robin Norwood

Default Public demo of amber and eventual production instance

Hi,

So sometime next week I'd like to link to the
publictest10.fedoraproject.org/amber site and ask for feedback. In the
meantime I'm going to install the latest changes on it, and load it up
with all the data from F9. Just a heads-up, and a humble request not
to break things (like the FAS instance I'm using) too much next week.
If anyone has specific plans in that area, ping me and we can work
things out.

Second, Fedora Applications/Amber is eventually going to need an actual
production server ready around the Fedora 10 release date. I'd like to
get to the point where I can make a formal request for aforementioned
resources. What do I need to do to get there?

Thanks,

-RN

--
Robin Norwood
Red Hat, Inc.

-Lao Tzu, Te Tao Ching

Old 08-12-2008, 05:55 PM
Robin Norwood

On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 14:07:41 -0400
Robin Norwood <rnorwood@redhat.com> wrote:

> Second, Fedora Applications/Amber is eventually going to need an
> actual production server ready around the Fedora 10 release date.
> I'd like to get to the point where I can make a formal request for
> aforementioned resources. What do I need to do to get there?

Ping - what do I need to do to get moving on hosting resources for
Amber/Fedora Applications? (Note: It hasn't yet been approved as a
Feature, it's up for approval during Wednesday's FESCO meeting.

Ticket:

-RN

--
Robin Norwood
Red Hat, Inc.

-Lao Tzu, Te Tao Ching

Old 08-12-2008, 06:23 PM
Mike McGrath

On Tue, 12 Aug 2008, Robin Norwood wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 14:07:41 -0400
> Robin Norwood <rnorwood@redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > Second, Fedora Applications/Amber is eventually going to need an
> > actual production server ready around the Fedora 10 release date.
> > I'd like to get to the point where I can make a formal request for
> > aforementioned resources. What do I need to do to get there?
>
> Ping - what do I need to do to get moving on hosting resources for
> Amber/Fedora Applications? (Note: It hasn't yet been approved as a
> Feature, it's up for approval during Wednesday's FESCO meeting.

as in have it hosted in a production supported / backed-up instance at a
location like https://admin.fedoraproject.org/amber/ ? If so work with
your project sponsor.

-Mike

Old 08-13-2008, 12:29 AM
Nigel Jones

On Tue, 2008-08-12 at 13:23 -0500, Mike McGrath wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Aug 2008, Robin Norwood wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 14:07:41 -0400
> > Robin Norwood <rnorwood@redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Second, Fedora Applications/Amber is eventually going to need an
> > > actual production server ready around the Fedora 10 release date.
> > > I'd like to get to the point where I can make a formal request for
> > > aforementioned resources. What do I need to do to get there?
> >
> > Ping - what do I need to do to get moving on hosting resources for
> > Amber/Fedora Applications? (Note: It hasn't yet been approved as a
> > Feature, it's up for approval during Wednesday's FESCO meeting.
> >

> as in have it hosted in a production supported / backed-up instance at a
> location like https://admin.fedoraproject.org/amber/ ? If so work with
> your project sponsor.
Surely it'd be better suited as 'amber.fedoraproject.org', or something
like that, hopefully I'll be back later today/tomorrow to help if
needed.

(Note, we'd need to get the wildcard cert on the proxy servers first,
but that's not too bigger deal)

Old 08-13-2008, 12:37 AM
Ricky Zhou

If it requires auth, we'll probably want it at admin.fedoraproject.org
so that it can share cookies with our other applications.

Thanks,
Ricky

Old 08-13-2008, 01:09 AM
Mike McGrath

On Tue, 12 Aug 2008, Ricky Zhou wrote:

> On 2008-08-13 12:29:55 PM, Nigel Jones wrote:
> > Surely it'd be better suited as 'amber.fedoraproject.org', or something
> > like that, hopefully I'll be back later today/tomorrow to help if
> > needed.
> If it requires auth, we'll probably want it at admin.fedoraproject.org
> so that it can share cookies with our other applications.

it is probably time to better describe what goes where and why. I'm fond
of the admin.fedoraproject.org/blah/ for stuff. But if this is an
application that end users will be using that doesn't seem quite right.

-Mike

Old 08-13-2008, 01:15 AM
Ricky Zhou

On 2008-08-12 08:09:20 PM, Mike McGrath wrote:
> it is probably time to better describe what goes where and why. I'm fond
> of the admin.fedoraproject.org/blah/ for stuff. But if this is an
> application that end users will be using that doesn't seem quite right.
Hmm, I wonder if this could lead into a discussion of whether FAS
accounts are generally targetted towards 100% end users as well and if
end user apps should have the possibility of separate auth (OpenID would
be really cool for this).

Thanks,
Ricky

Old 08-13-2008, 02:31 AM
Robin Norwood

On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 20:09:20 -0500 (CDT)
Mike McGrath <mmcgrath@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Aug 2008, Ricky Zhou wrote:
>
> > On 2008-08-13 12:29:55 PM, Nigel Jones wrote:
> > > Surely it'd be better suited as 'amber.fedoraproject.org', or
> > > something like that, hopefully I'll be back later today/tomorrow
> > > to help if needed.
> > If it requires auth, we'll probably want it at
> > admin.fedoraproject.org so that it can share cookies with our other
> > applications.
> >

> it is probably time to better describe what goes where and why. I'm
> fond of the admin.fedoraproject.org/blah/ for stuff. But if this is
> an application that end users will be using that doesn't seem quite
> right.

Yes, it isn't really a fedora 'admin' app. As you said, it's targeted
at end users.

-RN

--
Robin Norwood
Red Hat, Inc.

-Lao Tzu, Te Tao Ching

Old 08-13-2008, 06:49 AM
Mike McGrath

On Tue, 12 Aug 2008, Robin Norwood wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 20:09:20 -0500 (CDT)
> Mike McGrath <mmcgrath@redhat.com> wrote:

> > > If it requires auth, we'll probably want it at
> > > admin.fedoraproject.org so that it can share cookies with our other
> > > applications.
> > >

> > it is probably time to better describe what goes where and why. I'm
> > fond of the admin.fedoraproject.org/blah/ for stuff. But if this is
> > an application that end users will be using that doesn't seem quite
> > right.
>
> Yes, it isn't really a fedora 'admin' app. As you said, it's targeted
> at end users.

Does it have an authed interface for admins or does it pull everything
from our repos and such?

-Mike

Old 08-13-2008, 02:45 PM
Robin Norwood

On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 01:49:47 -0500 (CDT)
Mike McGrath <mmcgrath@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Aug 2008, Robin Norwood wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 20:09:20 -0500 (CDT)
> > Mike McGrath <mmcgrath@redhat.com> wrote:

> > > it is probably time to better describe what goes where and why.
> > > I'm fond of the admin.fedoraproject.org/blah/ for stuff. But if
> > > this is an application that end users will be using that doesn't
> > > seem quite right.
> >
> > Yes, it isn't really a fedora 'admin' app. As you said, it's
> > targeted at end users.
> >

> Does it have an authed interface for admins or does it pull everything
> from our repos and such?

It auth against FAS. First, anyone with a FAS account can log in, and
post comments and whatnot. Second, if the user happens to own a
package that provides a given application, she can edit the app's
description, and do things like delete comments and screenshots.
Third, if a user is a member of the 'amber_admins' group, he can do the
above for all apps, and a few other things.

Does that answer your question?

-RN

--
Robin Norwood
Red Hat, Inc.

-Lao Tzu, Te Tao Ching

Wed Aug 13 18:30:02 2008
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 16:44:36 +0200
From: "=?UTF-8?Q?Marcin_=E2=80=98Qrczak=E2=80=99_Kowalczyk?="
<qrczak@knm.org.pl>
To: dougpol1@verizon.net, "Ubuntu user technical support,
not for general discussions" <ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com>
Subject: Re: Any tutorials -RUTEBOOK
Sender: ubuntu-users-bounces@lists.ubuntu.com

2008/8/13 Doug Pollard <dougpol1@verizon.net>:

> Here is the comand I typed in
>
> /usr/share/doc/rutebook
> below is bash reply
>
> bash: /usr/share/doc/rutebook: is a directory

The first word of a command line, besides some exceptions, should be
the name of a program or the name of an internal shell command. To
enter a directory, use 'cd /usr/share/doc/rutebook' (cd is an internal
shell command). A directory name by itself is not a valid command in
bash, though it is in some other shells which assume an implicit cd in
such case.

In Gnome you could also say 'gnome-open /usr/share/doc/rutebook' to
invoke the default GUI action associated with the object, here a
directory, which would be opened in Nautilus.

--
Marcin Kowalczyk
qrczak@knm.org.pl