Old 07-23-2008, 03:13 AM
Mike McGrath

Default bash $TMOUT

Sooooo, I'd like to set a $TMOUT for all of our bash sessions. I see a
lot of shells just needlessly open. This is going to piss people off
though, I haven't even done it yet and its pissing me off

Are there any very vocal oppositions to this? Any alternatives? I'd like
to at a minimum install it on fedorapeople.

-Mike

Old 07-23-2008, 03:19 AM
Nigel Jones

Mike McGrath wrote:

Sooooo, I'd like to set a $TMOUT for all of our bash sessions. I see a
lot of shells just needlessly open. This is going to piss people off
though, I haven't even done it yet and its pissing me off

Are there any very vocal oppositions to this? Any alternatives? I'd like
to at a minimum install it on fedorapeople.

I object your honour!

a) It's a PITA, login, get distracted for an hour or two and find out
that your session died....
b) I think this is the problem I have with proxy4 (now proxy1) where it
cuts me off after an hour... hmmm

c) Fedora People is a different story, yes please do, 3 hours maybe...

- Nigel

-Mike

Old 07-23-2008, 03:33 AM
Mike McGrath

On Wed, 23 Jul 2008, Nigel Jones wrote:

> Mike McGrath wrote:
> > Sooooo, I'd like to set a $TMOUT for all of our bash sessions. I see a
> > lot of shells just needlessly open. This is going to piss people off
> > though, I haven't even done it yet and its pissing me off
> >
> > Are there any very vocal oppositions to this? Any alternatives? I'd like
> > to at a minimum install it on fedorapeople.
> >
> I object your honour!
>
> a) It's a PITA, login, get distracted for an hour or two and find out that
> your session died....
> b) I think this is the problem I have with proxy4 (now proxy1) where it cuts
> me off after an hour... hmmm
> c) Fedora People is a different story, yes please do, 3 hours maybe...

I was thinking 8 hours.. and the problems you're seeing with proxy4 is
something else.

-Mike

Old 07-23-2008, 03:35 AM
Mike McGrath

On Tue, 22 Jul 2008, Mike McGrath wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Jul 2008, Nigel Jones wrote:
>
> > Mike McGrath wrote:
> > > Sooooo, I'd like to set a $TMOUT for all of our bash sessions. I see a
> > > lot of shells just needlessly open. This is going to piss people off
> > > though, I haven't even done it yet and its pissing me off
> > >
> > > Are there any very vocal oppositions to this? Any alternatives? I'd like
> > > to at a minimum install it on fedorapeople.
> > >
> > I object your honour!
> >
> > a) It's a PITA, login, get distracted for an hour or two and find out that
> > your session died....
> > b) I think this is the problem I have with proxy4 (now proxy1) where it cuts
> > me off after an hour... hmmm
> > c) Fedora People is a different story, yes please do, 3 hours maybe...
> >

> I was thinking 8 hours.. and the problems you're seeing with proxy4 is
> something else.

Trying to prevent stuff like this:

XXX pts/7 XXX 06Jul08 10:11 0.06s 0.10s sshd: XXX [priv]
^^^^^^^ holy moly

-Mike

Old 07-23-2008, 07:33 AM
Jeroen van Meeuwen

Mike McGrath wrote:

Trying to prevent stuff like this:

XXX pts/7 XXX 06Jul08 10:11 0.06s 0.10s sshd: XXX [priv]
^^^^^^^ holy moly

holy alright ^^^^

-Jeroen

Old 07-23-2008, 01:54 PM
Jorge Bras

Hi there,

If people start using screen they just have to reconnect, et voila,
continue to work.

At least for me, screen was the solution.

just my 2 cents.

./bras

Old 07-23-2008, 02:07 PM
Mike McGrath

On Wed, 23 Jul 2008, Jorge Bras wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> If people start using screen they just have to reconnect, et voila, continue
> to work.
> At least for me, screen was the solution.
>
> just my 2 cents.

Even in screen's case it'd kill the session during the timeout, unless
someone unset $TMOUT

Perhaps thats what we'll do, and if people have a problem with it, they
can set their own $TMOUT value in their .bashrc file.

-Mike

Old 07-23-2008, 04:15 PM
Chuck Anderson

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 09:07:58AM -0500, Mike McGrath wrote:
> Perhaps thats what we'll do, and if people have a problem with it, they
> can set their own $TMOUT value in their .bashrc file.

Can we have tcsh?

Old 07-23-2008, 08:40 PM
Ricky Zhou

On 2008-07-23 09:07:58 AM, Mike McGrath wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Jul 2008, Jorge Bras wrote:
> > If people start using screen they just have to reconnect, et voila, continue
> > to work.
> > At least for me, screen was the solution.
A downside with that solution is that if I detach a screen session
and end my SSH session, the next time I reattach, I lose my SSH agent,
and that means having to type SSH passwords repeatedly until I
completely destroy and reconstruct the screen session.

> Even in screen's case it'd kill the session during the timeout, unless
> someone unset $TMOUT
>
> Perhaps thats what we'll do, and if people have a problem with it, they
> can set their own $TMOUT value in their .bashrc file.
Hey, if it's not particularly frowned upon to override that value (with
the knowledge that you have to be extremely careful in locking your
laptop/desktop), then I'm all for it :-)

Thanks,
Ricky

Old 07-23-2008, 08:50 PM
Mike McGrath

On Wed, 23 Jul 2008, Ricky Zhou wrote:

> On 2008-07-23 09:07:58 AM, Mike McGrath wrote:
> > On Wed, 23 Jul 2008, Jorge Bras wrote:
> > > If people start using screen they just have to reconnect, et voila, continue
> > > to work.
> > > At least for me, screen was the solution.
> A downside with that solution is that if I detach a screen session
> and end my SSH session, the next time I reattach, I lose my SSH agent,
> and that means having to type SSH passwords repeatedly until I
> completely destroy and reconstruct the screen session.
>
> > Even in screen's case it'd kill the session during the timeout, unless
> > someone unset $TMOUT
> >
> > Perhaps thats what we'll do, and if people have a problem with it, they
> > can set their own $TMOUT value in their .bashrc file.
> Hey, if it's not particularly frowned upon to override that value (with
> the knowledge that you have to be extremely careful in locking your
> laptop/desktop), then I'm all for it :-)

yeah, so far nothing's really "happened" because of bad voodoo. I'm not
quite convinced a firm policy will help anything but at a minimum I think
$TMOUT will help clean up old sessions.

-Mike