-   -   Mail lists for hosted (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-infrastructure/11573-mail-lists-hosted.html)

seth vidal 12-03-2007 09:33 PM

Mail lists for hosted

On Mon, 2007-12-03 at 16:24 -0600, Mike McGrath wrote:
> Anyone know of any mail list software besides mailman that they've used
> and like? I ask because I'm not a huge fan of mailman. The hosted
> mailing list will probably have precedence and I think it is likely that
> whatever we do in hosted is what we'll end up doing with the rest of
> Fedora's mail lists when the time comes.

then we should stick with mailman, if only b/c it is definitely the path
of least resistance and it is what everyone knows.

alternatively you can look at the neverending perl-module-pain that is
sympa

-sv

"Michael Stahnke" 12-03-2007 10:52 PM

Mail lists for hosted

On Dec 3, 2007 4:33 PM, seth vidal <skvidal@fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 2007-12-03 at 16:24 -0600, Mike McGrath wrote:
> > Anyone know of any mail list software besides mailman that they've used
> > and like? I ask because I'm not a huge fan of mailman. The hosted
> > mailing list will probably have precedence and I think it is likely that
> > whatever we do in hosted is what we'll end up doing with the rest of
> > Fedora's mail lists when the time comes.
> >

> then we should stick with mailman, if only b/c it is definitely the path
> of least resistance and it is what everyone knows.
>
> alternatively you can look at the neverending perl-module-pain that is
> sympa
>
> -sv

several projects are switching to google-groups for mailling lists. I
am not sure I like the idea. It's certainly isn't open source, but I
thought I'd throw it out there as an option.
stahnma

"Jason Hartley" 12-03-2007 11:19 PM

Mail lists for hosted

On 12/3/07, Michael Stahnke <mastahnke@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 3, 2007 4:33 PM, seth vidal <skvidal@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 2007-12-03 at 16:24 -0600, Mike McGrath wrote:
> > > Anyone know of any mail list software besides mailman that they've used
> > > and like? I ask because I'm not a huge fan of mailman. The hosted
> > > mailing list will probably have precedence and I think it is likely that
> > > whatever we do in hosted is what we'll end up doing with the rest of
> > > Fedora's mail lists when the time comes.
> > >

> > then we should stick with mailman, if only b/c it is definitely the path
> > of least resistance and it is what everyone knows.
> >
> > alternatively you can look at the neverending perl-module-pain that is
> > sympa
> >
> > -sv

> several projects are switching to google-groups for mailling lists. I
> am not sure I like the idea. It's certainly isn't open source, but I
> thought I'd throw it out there as an option.
> stahnma

What kind of pains are you having with Mailman? Google-groups is
nice, but I think Mailman edges out with a few more features. I
briefly looked Google-groups to replace Mailman that I use for my
personal mailing lists. Maybe it is that I am more familiar with
Mailman, but I felt that Mailman was more mailing list centric.
Whereas Google-groups leaned more towards a discussion group. There
is also the whole control argument, but I do not know if that applies
here.

Regards,
Jason Hartley

Till Maas 12-03-2007 11:20 PM

Mail lists for hosted

On Di Dezember 4 2007, Michael Stahnke wrote:

> several projects are switching to google-groups for mailling lists. I
> am not sure I like the idea. It's certainly isn't open source, but I
> thought I'd throw it out there as an option.

Afaik, groups is only an interface to the usenet[1], or does google do
something else, too? There is a news-to-mail interface available for Fedora's
mailing lists[2], so maybe this can be used in google groups, too, like, e.g.
http://groups.google.de/group/ru-firebird?lnk=gschg
which is also available via gmane:
http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.db.firebird.russian

Regards,
Till

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet
[2] http://dir.gmane.org/index.php?prefix=gmane.linux.redhat.fedora

seth vidal 12-04-2007 12:26 AM

Mail lists for hosted

On Mon, 2007-12-03 at 17:52 -0600, Michael Stahnke wrote:

> several projects are switching to google-groups for mailling lists. I
> am not sure I like the idea. It's certainly isn't open source, but I
> thought I'd throw it out there as an option.
> stahnma

google groups is not open source and is therefore a non-starter.

-sv

"Michael Yingbull" 12-04-2007 04:26 AM

Mail lists for hosted

I've heard good things about sympa (aside from issues of being in a maze of perl modules, all alike...).
I've not looked at it with an technical eye lately, however.

On Dec 3, 2007 7:26 PM, seth vidal <

seth vidal 12-04-2007 06:49 PM

Mail lists for hosted

On Mon, 2007-12-03 at 23:26 -0600, Michael Yingbull wrote:
> I've heard good things about sympa (aside from issues of being in a
> maze of perl modules, all alike...).

It has some neat features. A couple of them I really like. For example:
log in to the web interface and you can go to the mail archive, click on
any message and say "send this to me" and it will mail it to you again
just like it was a new email. Really handy if you accidentally delete a
list email.

> I've not looked at it with an technical eye lately, however.

The perl modules needed for it are a seriously special kind of hell and
it breaks in, umm, obscure ways when it runs out of disk space but it's
not impossible to use.

-sv