Old 06-17-2008, 01:45 PM
"Jonathan Roberts"

Default Fedora TV Submission Form - PHP

I've opened this as a ticket in trac -
https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-infrastructure/ticket/633 with the php
file attached. Thoughts and feed back is appreciated...

Best,

Jon

----------------

We've created a channel in Miro, Fedora TV, for use by the marketing
team with things like screencast tutorials/video interviews etc and we
want to make it easy for community people to submit their content.

To do this, we planned to create a simple web form that collects the
users' data (Name, e-mail, video URL etc) and then sends that off to
an e-mail address. This e-mail address could either belong to a single
editor or a mailing list (the latter is preferred), so that we can
check it's relevant before adding it to the main channel feed for all
the world to see.

We have a simple script in PHP to collect this form information and
e-mail it, and providing people don't think there are better
approaches to this, we would like to get it hosted so that we can use
it on Fedora Websites.

Feedback and help is appreciated

Old 06-17-2008, 01:49 PM
Mike McGrath

On Tue, 17 Jun 2008, Jonathan Roberts wrote:

> We've created a channel in Miro, Fedora TV, for use by the marketing
> team with things like screencast tutorials/video interviews etc and we
> want to make it easy for community people to submit their content.
>
> To do this, we planned to create a simple web form that collects the
> users' data (Name, e-mail, video URL etc) and then sends that off to
> an e-mail address. This e-mail address could either belong to a single
> editor or a mailing list (the latter is preferred), so that we can
> check it's relevant before adding it to the main channel feed for all
> the world to see.
>
> We have a simple script in PHP to collect this form information and
> e-mail it, and providing people don't think there are better
> approaches to this, we would like to get it hosted so that we can use
> it on Fedora Websites.

So I've got a couple of questions.... First of which being why can't
people just email this stuff?

Second being, and this is probably a question for legal, in order to
submit that stuff to us via a web form, wouldn't we need to require cla
done?

Third being, how large of files are we talking about emailing around (be
very specific)? Email and video often seem ill suited to eachother.

-Mike

Old 06-17-2008, 01:57 PM
"Jeffrey Ollie"

On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 8:49 AM, Mike McGrath <mmcgrath@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Jun 2008, Jonathan Roberts wrote:
>>
>> We've created a channel in Miro, Fedora TV, for use by the marketing
>> team with things like screencast tutorials/video interviews etc and we
>> want to make it easy for community people to submit their content.
>
> So I've got a couple of questions.... First of which being why can't
> people just email this stuff?

Another idea would be to have a fedora-websites Trac instance on
fedorahosted and use it to track these requests. Release Engineering
and Infrastructure are already doing this.

Jeff

Old 06-17-2008, 02:15 PM
Ricky Zhou

On 2008-06-17 08:57:43 AM, Jeffrey Ollie wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 8:49 AM, Mike McGrath <mmcgrath@redhat.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, 17 Jun 2008, Jonathan Roberts wrote:
> >>
> >> We've created a channel in Miro, Fedora TV, for use by the marketing
> >> team with things like screencast tutorials/video interviews etc and we
> >> want to make it easy for community people to submit their content.
> >
> > So I've got a couple of questions.... First of which being why can't
> > people just email this stuff?
>
> Another idea would be to have a fedora-websites Trac instance on
> fedorahosted and use it to track these requests. Release Engineering
> and Infrastructure are already doing this.
I also like the idea of trac or a mailing list for something like this
(releng even does something with an email -> trac gateway).

Thanks,
Ricky

Old 06-17-2008, 03:45 PM
Mike McGrath

On Tue, 17 Jun 2008, Ricky Zhou wrote:

> On 2008-06-17 08:57:43 AM, Jeffrey Ollie wrote:

> > > So I've got a couple of questions.... First of which being why can't
> > > people just email this stuff?
> >
> > Another idea would be to have a fedora-websites Trac instance on
> > fedorahosted and use it to track these requests. Release Engineering
> > and Infrastructure are already doing this.
> I also like the idea of trac or a mailing list for something like this
> (releng even does something with an email -> trac gateway).

Even that might have issues if we're pushing large files around.

-Mike

Old 06-17-2008, 03:49 PM
"Jeffrey Tadlock"

On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 11:45 AM, Mike McGrath <mmcgrath@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Jun 2008, Ricky Zhou wrote:
>> I also like the idea of trac or a mailing list for something like this
>> (releng even does something with an email -> trac gateway).
>
> Even that might have issues if we're pushing large files around.

I believe the email just includes a link to the Video URL, not the
video file attached to the email.

"To do this, we planned to create a simple web form that collects the
users' data (Name, e-mail, video URL etc)... "

~Jeffrey

Old 06-17-2008, 09:12 PM
"Jeff Spaleta"

On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 5:58 AM, Jonathan Roberts
<jonrob@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> So I've got a couple of questions.... First of which being why can't
> people just email this stuff?

They can.

How did people add feeds to the planet before it was recently
automated? Didn't we essentially email someone and ask them to add our
feed?

> Second being, and this is probably a question for legal, in order to
> submit that stuff to us via a web form, wouldn't we need to require cla
> done?

Did people need to have a cla done before adding their feeds to the
planet before we automated it?

> Third being, how large of files are we talking about emailing around (be
> very specific)? Email and video often seem ill suited to eachother.

Until we have internal hosting set aside for content like this... then
there is no real space burden.

Basically all 'we' are doing right now is compiling a specially
formatted RSS feed by hand.
At the moment, it really comes down to John acting as an editor for
an RSS feed he is accountable for. Adding items to the feed based on
his best judgment. By branding it as Fedora channel, we are trusting
John's judgment. All I ask is that John make a best effort to assure
that the videos he adds are appropriately licensed in a way that is
compatible with the project, CC-BY-SA.

Of course if this is a useful and popular way to contribute, John will
no longer scale as the number of submissions goes up. At that point
we'll have to build a structure to support submission in a more
organized way. I'm pretty sure submission into the RSS feed would
never require a CLA. If videos are hosted externally, we are
essentially just linking to them not distributing them. We'd need to
make sure we have permission to link and make sure the videos are
licensed in a way we are okay with..but that can be handled via RSS
submission requests on a per video basis. And similarly, John would
have to handle removal requests on a video by video basis if any came
in.

We may need a group of editors to handle the submission que if this
becomes wildly popular and we expand the scope of the types of content
we want to broadcast on our branded channel(s). Any project hosting
and distribution of the videos will most certainly require a CLA of
some sort. We'd most likely would give an editorial board control over
how to control the contents of that hosting space. So as long as the
editor board had CLA's and all the videos were licensed CC-BY-SA,
we've pretty much covered are bases for hosting and distribution. We
hold the editorial board accountable as co-maintainers of that hosted
material.

-jef

Old 06-18-2008, 03:11 AM
Mike McGrath

On Tue, 17 Jun 2008, Jonathan Roberts wrote:

> I've opened this as a ticket in trac -
> https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-infrastructure/ticket/633 with the php
> file attached. Thoughts and feed back is appreciated...
>
> Best,
>
> Jon
>
> ----------------
>
> We've created a channel in Miro, Fedora TV, for use by the marketing
> team with things like screencast tutorials/video interviews etc and we
> want to make it easy for community people to submit their content.
>
> To do this, we planned to create a simple web form that collects the
> users' data (Name, e-mail, video URL etc) and then sends that off to
> an e-mail address. This e-mail address could either belong to a single
> editor or a mailing list (the latter is preferred), so that we can
> check it's relevant before adding it to the main channel feed for all
> the world to see.
>
> We have a simple script in PHP to collect this form information and
> e-mail it, and providing people don't think there are better
> approaches to this, we would like to get it hosted so that we can use
> it on Fedora Websites.

So the work flow here is

1. User creates video ->
2. User types information into this form and clicks submit.
3. Email goes to someone who then does $SOMETHING and it shows up in
Miro?

Just curious, what is that $SOMETHING?

-Mike

Old 06-18-2008, 03:12 AM
Mike McGrath

On Tue, 17 Jun 2008, Mike McGrath wrote:
> So the work flow here is
>
> 1. User creates video ->
> 2. User types information into this form and clicks submit.
> 3. Email goes to someone who then does $SOMETHING and it shows up in
> Miro?
>
> Just curious, what is that $SOMETHING?

Side note, tibbs just pointed this out to me as well:

http://www.ehartwell.com/InfoDabble/MediaWiki_extension:_EmailForm

-Mike

Old 06-18-2008, 06:08 AM
"Jonathan Roberts"

> So the work flow here is
>
> 1. User creates video ->
> 2. User types information into this form and clicks submit.
> 3. Email goes to someone who then does $SOMETHING and it shows up in
> Miro?
>
> Just curious, what is that $SOMETHING?

$SOMETHING right now is me manually updating an rss feed -
http://jonrob.fedorapeople.org/fedora-tv.xml

This is something that would be good to automate at some point, but to
get the ball rolling I'm happy to go with this.

Will review this thread properly this evening...thanks for all the
feed back though, I've been (kind of) keeping up and it looks like
Trac might be popular

Best,

Jon