FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora Games

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 05-05-2008, 05:08 PM
Hans de Goede
 
Default F-10: switch from OpenAL to OpenAL-soft

Hi All,

I've been lurking on the debian-games list the last few months and sometimes
learn very interesting things there.


As some of you probably know OpenAL upstream, the SI (sample implementation) is
sortof dead. But recently someone has been doing a new OpenAL implementation,
and thats gaining lots of traction, so much traction even that upstream is
considering making this new implementation called OpenAL-soft the new recommend
implementation. Thus I would like to suggest switching to this new OpenAL for
F-10, for more on OpenAL-soft see:


http://opensource.creative.com/pipermail/openal-devel/2007-December/004977.html
http://opensource.creative.com/pipermail/openal/2008-February/010981.html
http://opensource.creative.com/pipermail/openal/2008-March/011019.html
http://opensource.creative.com/pipermail/openal/2008-April/011073.html

Also interesting in this light, is this posting to the Debian games list, which
lists all programs which use OpenAl in Debian, and how they work with the new
OpenAL (seems 90% works with just a rebuild):

http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-games/2008/05/msg00020.html

So what do you think about switching to OpenAL-soft for F-10 ?

Regards,

Hans

_______________________________________________
Fedora-games-list mailing list
Fedora-games-list@redhat.com
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-games-list
 
Old 05-05-2008, 05:26 PM
Rahul Sundaram
 
Default F-10: switch from OpenAL to OpenAL-soft

Hans de Goede wrote:

Also interesting in this light, is this posting to the Debian games
list, which lists all programs which use OpenAl in Debian, and how they
work with the new OpenAL (seems 90% works with just a rebuild):

http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-games/2008/05/msg00020.html

So what do you think about switching to OpenAL-soft for F-10 ?


Seems a no brainer. Do you want to take this upto distributions list in
fd.o?


Rahul

_______________________________________________
Fedora-games-list mailing list
Fedora-games-list@redhat.com
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-games-list
 
Old 05-05-2008, 10:27 PM
Andreas Bierfert
 
Default F-10: switch from OpenAL to OpenAL-soft

On Mon, 05 May 2008 22:56:01 +0530
Rahul Sundaram <sundaram@fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> Hans de Goede wrote:
>
> > Also interesting in this light, is this posting to the Debian games
> > list, which lists all programs which use OpenAl in Debian, and how they
> > work with the new OpenAL (seems 90% works with just a rebuild):
> > http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-games/2008/05/msg00020.html
> >
> > So what do you think about switching to OpenAL-soft for F-10 ?
>
> Seems a no brainer. Do you want to take this upto distributions list in
> fd.o?
>
> Rahul
>


Hi there,

I have been following OpenAL soft development for a while. I have had no chance
to give it a try but it would be a nice thing to give it a go now for f10 and
see how things work out. How should we go about this? I have started up a
package some time ago which I could bring up for review if wanted.

Best Regards,
Andreas

--
Andreas Bierfert, M.Sc. | http://awbsworld.de | GPG: C58CF1CB
andreas.bierfert@lowlatency.de | http://lowlatency.de | signed/encrypted
phone: +49 2402 102373 | cell: +49 173 5803043 | mail preferred
_______________________________________________
Fedora-games-list mailing list
Fedora-games-list@redhat.com
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-games-list
 
Old 05-08-2008, 09:17 AM
"Goede, J.W.R. de"
 
Default F-10: switch from OpenAL to OpenAL-soft

On Tue, 6 May 2008 00:27:54 +0200
Andreas Bierfert <andreas.bierfert@lowlatency.de> wrote:
> On Mon, 05 May 2008 22:56:01 +0530
> Hi there,
>
> I have been following OpenAL soft development for a
> while. I have had no chance
> to give it a try but it would be a nice thing to give it
> a go now for f10 and
> see how things work out. How should we go about this? I
> have started up a
> package some time ago which I could bring up for review
> if wanted.
>

I've been thinking about this for a while, at first I was
thinking that it would be better to just re-use the current
openal package name and cvs module and that thus there
would be no need for a review. But thinking about this some
more I think it would be a good idea to indeed have a new
openal-soft package, which should (hopefully) be parrallel
installable to the regular / obsolete openal.

I think having the -devel packages conflict is not much of
an issue as this is only transitional, evt. openal-soft
should obsolete openal.

Regards,

Hans

_______________________________________________
Fedora-games-list mailing list
Fedora-games-list@redhat.com
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-games-list
 
Old 05-08-2008, 09:19 AM
"Goede, J.W.R. de"
 
Default F-10: switch from OpenAL to OpenAL-soft

On Mon, 05 May 2008 22:56:01 +0530
Rahul Sundaram <sundaram@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> Hans de Goede wrote:
>
> > Also interesting in this light, is this posting to the
> Debian games
> > list, which lists all programs which use OpenAl in
> Debian, and how they
> > work with the new OpenAL (seems 90% works with just a
> rebuild):
> >
>
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-games/2008/05/msg00020.html
> >
> > So what do you think about switching to OpenAL-soft for
> F-10 ?
>
> Seems a no brainer. Do you want to take this upto
> distributions list in fd.o?
>

I think discussing this there, and exchanging patches for
this would be a good idea yes.

Could you send a mail about this there?

Note that I'm already in contact with the Debian people
about this through the debain-games-devel mailinglist.

Regards,

Hans

_______________________________________________
Fedora-games-list mailing list
Fedora-games-list@redhat.com
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-games-list
 
Old 05-11-2008, 02:21 AM
"Christopher Stone"
 
Default F-10: switch from OpenAL to OpenAL-soft

On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 10:08 AM, Hans de Goede <j.w.r.degoede@hhs.nl> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Also interesting in this light, is this posting to the Debian games list,
> which lists all programs which use OpenAl in Debian, and how they work with
> the new OpenAL (seems 90% works with just a rebuild):
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-games/2008/05/msg00020.html

So they claim osgal works, but they did not test any games like
poker3d which use osgal?

_______________________________________________
Fedora-games-list mailing list
Fedora-games-list@redhat.com
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-games-list
 
Old 05-11-2008, 06:51 AM
Hans de Goede
 
Default F-10: switch from OpenAL to OpenAL-soft

Christopher Stone wrote:

On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 10:08 AM, Hans de Goede <j.w.r.degoede@hhs.nl> wrote:

Hi All,

Also interesting in this light, is this posting to the Debian games list,
which lists all programs which use OpenAl in Debian, and how they work with
the new OpenAL (seems 90% works with just a rebuild):
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-games/2008/05/msg00020.html


So they claim osgal works, but they did not test any games like
poker3d which use osgal?



That would seem the case yes, maybe they used some demo / test programs shipped
with osgal?


I don't have a clue really.

Regards,

Hans

_______________________________________________
Fedora-games-list mailing list
Fedora-games-list@redhat.com
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-games-list
 
Old 05-11-2008, 07:45 AM
Rahul Sundaram
 
Default F-10: switch from OpenAL to OpenAL-soft

Goede, J.W.R. de wrote:

On Mon, 05 May 2008 22:56:01 +0530
Rahul Sundaram <sundaram@fedoraproject.org> wrote:

Hans de Goede wrote:


Also interesting in this light, is this posting to the
Debian games

list, which lists all programs which use OpenAl in
Debian, and how they

work with the new OpenAL (seems 90% works with just a

rebuild):

http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-games/2008/05/msg00020.html

So what do you think about switching to OpenAL-soft for

F-10 ?

Seems a no brainer. Do you want to take this upto
distributions list in fd.o?



I think discussing this there, and exchanging patches for
this would be a good idea yes.

Could you send a mail about this there?


I have forwarded your mail and CC'ed you on this.

Rahul

_______________________________________________
Fedora-games-list mailing list
Fedora-games-list@redhat.com
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-games-list
 
Old 05-13-2008, 06:15 AM
Jay Coleman
 
Default F-10: switch from OpenAL to OpenAL-soft

I've been trying to find info on F-10, and haven't found much on the
game itself. Does anyone have a link?

Thanks,
Jay


On Mon, 2008-05-05 at 19:08 +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I've been lurking on the debian-games list the last few months and sometimes
> learn very interesting things there.
>
> As some of you probably know OpenAL upstream, the SI (sample implementation) is
> sortof dead. But recently someone has been doing a new OpenAL implementation,
> and thats gaining lots of traction, so much traction even that upstream is
> considering making this new implementation called OpenAL-soft the new recommend
> implementation. Thus I would like to suggest switching to this new OpenAL for
> F-10, for more on OpenAL-soft see:
>
> http://opensource.creative.com/pipermail/openal-devel/2007-December/004977.html
> http://opensource.creative.com/pipermail/openal/2008-February/010981.html
> http://opensource.creative.com/pipermail/openal/2008-March/011019.html
> http://opensource.creative.com/pipermail/openal/2008-April/011073.html
>
> Also interesting in this light, is this posting to the Debian games list, which
> lists all programs which use OpenAl in Debian, and how they work with the new
> OpenAL (seems 90% works with just a rebuild):
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-games/2008/05/msg00020.html
>
> So what do you think about switching to OpenAL-soft for F-10 ?
>
> Regards,
>
> Hans
>
> _______________________________________________
> Fedora-games-list mailing list
> Fedora-games-list@redhat.com
> http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-games-list

_______________________________________________
Fedora-games-list mailing list
Fedora-games-list@redhat.com
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-games-list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:00 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org