-   Fedora Games (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-games/)
-   -   0 A.D. another game to consider packaging (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-games/643111-0-d-another-game-consider-packaging.html)

Bruno Wolff III 03-11-2012 01:39 AM

0 A.D. another game to consider packaging

For anyone looking for something to do, 0 A.D. seems to be something worth
packaging.

It is similar to Age of Empires (which also makes it a bit like Empire
Earth, but it is a lot closer to Age of Empires).

It is still alpha, but getting it into Fedora might get them some more
testing and possibly contributors.

With one very small fix to get it to build with gcc 4.7 (which I reported
to upstream 0 A.D., though it's really an nvtt issue), I was able to
build it.

The game includes a few bundled libraries we don't have in Fedora
(at least nvtt and spidermonkey) and uses a more recent version of
enet than we have. Some of these may only be needed to develop for the
game and not to actually play it. I haven't looked to carefully at this.

I'll probably do some chipping away at some of the prerequisites, but
have other games to work on, so it won't happen very quickly.

Vinzenz Vietzke 03-14-2012 10:25 AM

Am 11.03.2012 03:39, schrieb Bruno Wolff III:
> I'll probably do some chipping away at some of the prerequisites, but
> have other games to work on, so it won't happen very quickly.
0 a.d. is packaged by upstream developers at the Open Build Service:
http://software.opensuse.org/search?q=0ad&baseproject=Fedora%3A16&lang=de&exclu de_debug=true

So maybe looking at their spec files will help you.

Vinzenz Vietzke
Fedora Events Ninja / Coordination German L10N Team

Mail: vietzke@b1-systems.de

B1 Systems GmbH

Bruno Wolff III 03-14-2012 11:35 AM

0 A.D. another game to consider packaging

On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 12:25:52 +0100,
Vinzenz Vietzke <vietzke@b1-systems.de> wrote:
> Am 11.03.2012 03:39, schrieb Bruno Wolff III:
> > I'll probably do some chipping away at some of the prerequisites, but
> > have other games to work on, so it won't happen very quickly.
> 0 a.d. is packaged by upstream developers at the Open Build Service:
> http://software.opensuse.org/search?q=0ad&baseproject=Fedora%3A16&lang=de&exclu de_debug=true
>
> So maybe looking at their spec files will help you.

They'll be useful to look at, but a lot of the work will be unbundling
the libraries they include, checking licenses, fonts and other things
to make sure it complies with Fedora's guidelines.

Bruno Wolff III 03-26-2012 03:26 AM

0 A.D. another game to consider packaging

On Sat, Mar 10, 2012 at 20:39:51 -0600,
Bruno Wolff III <bruno@wolff.to> wrote:

For anyone looking for something to do, 0 A.D. seems to be something worth
packaging.

Upstream has developed a patch to allow for using hardware cursor support
on linux. (http://trac.wildfiregames.com/ticket/748) This makes the game
a lot more playable with older hardware.

The main issue with the game now is that the AI takes a lot of reources
and the majority of the code is single threaded. This limits your options
for playing the game. There is a lot of other stuff upstream wants to do
to make the game more interesting, but the game as is seems to be playable.