Old 04-01-2008, 03:50 PM
"Jon Ciesla"

Default wesnoth 1.4

> Hello Jon Ciesla,
>
> My name is Artiom, and I'm happy Fedora user
>
> I've noticed that wesnoth version 1.4 has been released, but
> unfortunately in repo we have 1.2.8.
> Here http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesnothBinariesLinux#Fedora I found
> your contact,
> and I ask you, please, build update for this version too. I'm sure many
> others wesnoth's lovers waiting for it.

I've got it built for F9/rawhide, but since it looks like 1.4 breaks saved
game compatibility, I'm not sure I'm going to build it for F-8.

Since you're not the first person to ask me about this, I'm CCing the rest
of the Games SIG.

SIG, what do you think? Build 1.4 for F-8, or leave it in rawhide?

--
novus ordo absurdum

Old 04-01-2008, 04:21 PM
Nicu Buculei

Jon Ciesla wrote:

I've noticed that wesnoth version 1.4 has been released, but
unfortunately in repo we have 1.2.8.
Here http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesnothBinariesLinux#Fedora I found
your contact,
and I ask you, please, build update for this version too. I'm sure many
others wesnoth's lovers waiting for it.

I've got it built for F9/rawhide, but since it looks like 1.4 breaks saved
game compatibility, I'm not sure I'm going to build it for F-8.

Since you're not the first person to ask me about this, I'm CCing the rest
of the Games SIG.

SIG, what do you think? Build 1.4 for F-8, or leave it in rawhide?

I am not a regular Wesnoth player (just enjoy it from time to time in
single player mode), but from what I understand, network playing is a
very important reason people enjoy it.
AFAIK, to play on the official servers one must have to have the latest
version.

That should be weighted against the breaking of saved games. Don't know
which side of the balance should prevail, as I already said, I am not a
regular player.

Old 04-01-2008, 04:37 PM
Gian Paolo Mureddu

Jon Ciesla escribi:

Hello Jon Ciesla,

My name is Artiom, and I'm happy Fedora user

I've noticed that wesnoth version 1.4 has been released, but
unfortunately in repo we have 1.2.8.
Here http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesnothBinariesLinux#Fedora I found
your contact,
and I ask you, please, build update for this version too. I'm sure many
others wesnoth's lovers waiting for it.

I've got it built for F9/rawhide, but since it looks like 1.4 breaks saved
game compatibility, I'm not sure I'm going to build it for F-8.

Since you're not the first person to ask me about this, I'm CCing the rest
of the Games SIG.

SIG, what do you think? Build 1.4 for F-8, or leave it in rawhide?

Thank you!

There have been earlier updates for Wesnoth that also broke save-game
compatibility, and to my knowledge, it wasn't so much of a problem. I'd
like to have the latest available for F8 as well as for F9, I know I
wouldn't mind playing through the campaigns again, but I'm not sure
about other users... I wish there was a way to get more player awareness
of this... Maybe a poll in fedoraforum.org's gaming forum?

Old 04-01-2008, 05:05 PM
"Peter Lemenkov"

Hello All!

2008/4/1, Jon Ciesla <limb@jcomserv.net>:

> I've got it built for F9/rawhide, but since it looks like 1.4 breaks saved
> game compatibility, I'm not sure I'm going to build it for F-8.
>
> Since you're not the first person to ask me about this, I'm CCing the rest
> of the Games SIG.
>
> SIG, what do you think? Build 1.4 for F-8, or leave it in rawhide?

Although I'm not a wesnoth player, I vote for updating.

--
With best regards!

Old 04-01-2008, 05:05 PM
Jason L Tibbitts III

JC> I've got it built for F9/rawhide, but since it looks like 1.4
JC> breaks saved game compatibility, I'm not sure I'm going to build
JC> it for F-8.

I have always avoided breaking Nazghul saved games in stable Fedora
releases, because the updates happen automatically and you don't want
users being broken overnight because they happened to let an update
happen.

I also work to make my upstream aware of this kind of thing, because
in their mind you just don't build a newer version if you have a game
in progress and that doesn't really mesh with how distros work. So
far they've been receptive and helpful.

If someone really wants new features, I'm happy to give them a koji
build they can install manually with the understanding that it breaks
their games. But overnight breakage of existing games is right out.

- J<

Old 04-01-2008, 05:10 PM
"Jon Ciesla"

> Hello All!
>
> 2008/4/1, Jon Ciesla <limb@jcomserv.net>:
>
>> I've got it built for F9/rawhide, but since it looks like 1.4 breaks
>> saved
>> game compatibility, I'm not sure I'm going to build it for F-8.
>>
>> Since you're not the first person to ask me about this, I'm CCing the
>> rest
>> of the Games SIG.
>>
>> SIG, what do you think? Build 1.4 for F-8, or leave it in rawhide?
>
> Although I'm not a wesnoth player, I vote for updating.

Sounds like all the feedback I need. I'll update for F-8.

--
novus ordo absurdum

Old 04-01-2008, 05:17 PM
"Peter Lemenkov"

01 Apr 2008 12:05:19 -0500, Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs@math.uh.edu>:

> I also work to make my upstream aware of this kind of thing, because
> in their mind you just don't build a newer version if you have a game
> in progress and that doesn't really mesh with how distros work. So
> far they've been receptive and helpful.
>
> If someone really wants new features, I'm happy to give them a koji
> build they can install manually with the understanding that it breaks
> their games. But overnight breakage of existing games is right out.

Not in that case - average user wants network gaming but w/o this
update it will be impossible AFAIK. So every player would need to get
and install Koji build.

--
With best regards!

Old 04-01-2008, 05:42 PM
"Jon Ciesla"

> JC> I've got it built for F9/rawhide, but since it looks like 1.4
> JC> breaks saved game compatibility, I'm not sure I'm going to build
> JC> it for F-8.
>
> I have always avoided breaking Nazghul saved games in stable Fedora
> releases, because the updates happen automatically and you don't want
> users being broken overnight because they happened to let an update
> happen.
>
> I also work to make my upstream aware of this kind of thing, because
> in their mind you just don't build a newer version if you have a game
> in progress and that doesn't really mesh with how distros work. So
> far they've been receptive and helpful.
>
> If someone really wants new features, I'm happy to give them a koji
> build they can install manually with the understanding that it breaks
> their games. But overnight breakage of existing games is right out.

Even to preserve other existing functionality, i.e. network play?

--
novus ordo absurdum

Old 04-01-2008, 06:45 PM
"Jon Ciesla"

>> JC> I've got it built for F9/rawhide, but since it looks like 1.4
>> JC> breaks saved game compatibility, I'm not sure I'm going to build
>> JC> it for F-8.
>>
>> I have always avoided breaking Nazghul saved games in stable Fedora
>> releases, because the updates happen automatically and you don't want
>> users being broken overnight because they happened to let an update
>> happen.
>>
>> I also work to make my upstream aware of this kind of thing, because
>> in their mind you just don't build a newer version if you have a game
>> in progress and that doesn't really mesh with how distros work. So
>> far they've been receptive and helpful.
>>
>> If someone really wants new features, I'm happy to give them a koji
>> build they can install manually with the understanding that it breaks
>> their games. But overnight breakage of existing games is right out.
>
> Even to preserve other existing functionality, i.e. network play?

FYI, it is now built in Koji, but I've not done a Bodhi update for it yet,
so the kittens are safe.

Can any regular players comment? And possibly d/l the koji build and test
against their saved games? My assertion that 1.4 broke saved games is
based on anecdotal evidence, not direct observation.

--
novus ordo absurdum

Old 04-01-2008, 07:50 PM
Artiom Diomin

Jon Ciesla пишет:

"JC" == Jon Ciesla <limb@jcomserv.net> writes:

JC> I've got it built for F9/rawhide, but since it looks like 1.4
JC> breaks saved game compatibility, I'm not sure I'm going to build
JC> it for F-8.

I have always avoided breaking Nazghul saved games in stable Fedora
releases, because the updates happen automatically and you don't want
users being broken overnight because they happened to let an update
happen.

I also work to make my upstream aware of this kind of thing, because
in their mind you just don't build a newer version if you have a game
in progress and that doesn't really mesh with how distros work. So
far they've been receptive and helpful.

If someone really wants new features, I'm happy to give them a koji
build they can install manually with the understanding that it breaks
their games. But overnight breakage of existing games is right out.

Even to preserve other existing functionality, i.e. network play?

FYI, it is now built in Koji, but I've not done a Bodhi update for it yet,
so the kittens are safe.

Can any regular players comment? And possibly d/l the koji build and test
against their saved games? My assertion that 1.4 broke saved games is
based on anecdotal evidence, not direct observation.

It's break old saves. Just tested.

- J<

--
novus ordo absurdum