Old 03-22-2008, 04:39 AM
Bruno Wolff III

Default Game Idea

On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 16:03:08 -0700,
Jacob Smith <jacobtherogue@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone I'm JacobTheRogue, I am unsure if this is the correct place to send this email so do not be mad if it is not. But I use Fedora off and on due to the lack of games. Most games are ports or recreates of old games from what i have seen. I would like to open a new project to make a complete orignal open source 3d horror game for Fedora. I am uncertain how to go about this and am looking for programmers/devs to teach me how to do this and to help out on the project. I do have some ideas and settings but like i said I do not know how to code and only use fedora off and on. if anyone is interested and would like to help me feel free to send me a email.

Why don't you take a look at the Silver Tree RPG project. It is a 3D
role playing game early in development. You might be able to learn some stuff
helping out with that project. Or perhaps depending on how you envisioned your
horror setting perhg perhaps you can use the Silver Tree engine for your
setting instead of the fantasy one they are using.

Old 03-22-2008, 04:11 PM
"Free Gamer"

2008/3/21 Jacob Smith <jacobtherogue@yahoo.com>:
> I would like to open a new project to make a complete
> orignal open source 3d horror game for [Linux]

http://forum.freegamedev.net/

Ideas forum there. :-)

- C

--
Free Gamer - free & open source games list & commentary
http://freegamer.blogspot.com/

Old 03-24-2008, 02:56 AM
Ric Moore

On Sat, 2008-03-22 at 17:11 +0000, Free Gamer wrote:
> 2008/3/21 Jacob Smith <jacobtherogue@yahoo.com>:
> > I would like to open a new project to make a complete
> > orignal open source 3d horror game for [Linux]
>
> http://forum.freegamedev.net/
>
> Ideas forum there. :-)
You might consider sauerbraten, as it has a builtin editor, net play and
single player modes. It's very slick, with a Quake style. Ric

http://sauerbraten.org/

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar

Old 03-24-2008, 06:41 AM
Jacob Smith

there are to many "quake" style and "doom" type of games for linux i think, i want to make a completely orignal game as kinda a tribute to Resident Evil, it will have game play from differnt types of games i like, Resident Evil, Parasite Eve, Gallerians and Vampire The Masqurade. I have a decent grasp of what i want to do but I lack the knowledge, skills to do it. I am not well versed in linux I do use it off and on along with Windows, I switch back alot due to the poor quality of Yahoo messenger (i like my yahoo radio and able to use webcam with my friends) and the selection of games. everyone linux user must admit windows does have better games currently but i know alot of ports by game companys have been coming to linux and games that have always supported them like ID software and there Doom Games, Never winter nights, the qaukes but they aernt as good as the windows versions. linux uses opengl but do the* so many differnt progarm langs it can use and the lack of
"real hd audio" windows remains the better for games. but I want to create a true high visual quality game for linux using opengl 1.5 or 2.0 i havent really decided which wuold be better i know lots of people who use linux due so on older machines. i was also thinking of 'locking' the res like old games did in the mid 90s so they could opitmize the graphics/speed better when you have tons of opitions for color/detail/rez* you loose alot of opitimizes you can do. so i'm looking for some people to help bounce ideas on and who can program to help out while i try and decide which program lang i wanna learn and start to work on it.

Old 03-24-2008, 08:05 AM
Gian Paolo Mureddu

Jacob Smith escribió:
[...]

*//*

I don't thin I follow you completely here... The main thing is that you
have a good idea of what you want. I think that you should start by
having your project well defined, preferably named, and it would be
better to open a project in sourceforge or the like. Also it would be a
good idea to propose your project in the forums and see if you could
recruit programmers and artists there. Just so you have a good guide on
what your general idea might be, it would be a good idea to have all
your project written down and outlined, from story, things you'd like to
see, etc.

I don't know what do you mean by the whole argument about Windows Vs
Linux gaming. The API difference is rather self explainatory, but the
whole deal with "HD" audio, first define what do yo mean by that? Do you
mean "multichannel" audio? Of course you have multichannel audio, do you
mean hardware accelerated audio? Well, even Vista lost that. Sure is no
excuse, but as far as I know there might be some hardware accelerated
OpenAL coming down the road.

As far as the style, I like the idea of locking the resolution to make
way for optimizations, however you should think of about two
resolutions, one for normal 4:3 aspect ratio and one for widescreen
aspect ratio (1.6), as for the API, maybe go with OpenGL 2.0 with a
fallback, but the actual programmers could shine a light that and its
feasibility.

Old 03-24-2008, 01:41 PM
Bruno Wolff III

On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 00:41:57 -0700,
Jacob Smith <jacobtherogue@yahoo.com> wrote:
> everyone linux user must admit windows does have better games currently but i know alot of ports by game companys have been coming to linux and games that have always supported them like ID software and there Doom Games, Never winter nights, the qaukes but they aernt as good as the windows versions.

That depends on what you like to play.
Two of my favorite turn based games, Wesnoth and Colossus run pretty much the
same on Linux and Windows. Homm3 has some problems that come and go as Wine
gets updated, but when it is working the experience is comparable to running
it on Windows. NWN 1 works under Linux comparable to under Windows as well.
(I am not sure what you think is signifcantly different with NWN. Are you
running the native version or running it under Wine?)
I have generally found that the RTS games run too slow under Wine to be
playable, so in that category Windows is going to be a better platform.
I don't play FPS, so I can't comment on how Doom and Quake compare on
the different platforms.

Old 03-24-2008, 11:34 PM
Ric Moore

On Mon, 2008-03-24 at 00:41 -0700, Jacob Smith wrote:
> there are to many "quake" style and "doom" type of games for linux i
> think,
> You might consider sauerbraten, as it has a builtin editor,
> net play and
> single player modes. It's very slick, with a Quake style. Ric
>
> http://sauerbraten.org/

You can make just about any type of interactive rpg game using their
editor, with marginal game coding skills. Plus the camera angle can be
first person, or overhead or second person. Use weapons, or not. AI
players or not. You just really need to decide on the game theme, then
use the engine to create it. Plus, others can create with you online
directly. That sets sauerbraten apart from the Quakes and Doom engines.
I think the libGL features are better, with higher frame rates. I'd
suggest you peek at it, just to see where I'm coming from. If I could
stream video within it, I'd be using it myself in a heartbeat. Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar

Old 03-24-2008, 11:34 PM
Ric Moore