Old 03-18-2008, 09:54 PM
Ric Moore

Default 3D worlds and server/client software

Would this be a good place to discuss 3D worlds, tools, servers and
clients?? It would be a pretty huge environment to add to games for
Fedora. But, it really needs to be done in some fashion, IMHO.

We, as Linux users need the numbers to present to these communities, in
order to let our presence be known and to start getting some attention
to the needs of folks like us, who refuse to use closed source
solutions.

I've been collecting different 3D schemes from all over the net. It
seems like everyone likes to have Linux represented for server sides, if
for no other reason to take advantage of being license-less. But the
client side goes to M$, more often than not, being closed source and for
sale. So, I need to learn to create and maintain rpms. I'd like to
voyage through the 3D landscape and find those that are willing to allow
us to distribute the open-source 3D projects. What say the group?? Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar

Old 03-18-2008, 10:19 PM
"Free Gamer"

httpI//forum.freegamedev.net/

Enjoy!

- C

Old 03-18-2008, 10:20 PM
"Free Gamer"

Can't believe I got that wrong.
http://forum.freegamedev.net/

- C

Old 03-19-2008, 07:07 AM
Hans de Goede

Ric Moore wrote:

[...]

I think it would be excellent to have someone package-up the various FOSS 3d
world clients and servers. Even better if you also strat working on fixing
license issues where these disallow us to distribute the server / client.

Regards,

Hans

Old 03-24-2008, 02:46 AM
Ric Moore

On Wed, 2008-03-19 at 09:07 +0100, Hans de Goede wrote:
> Ric Moore wrote:
> > Would this be a good place to discuss 3D worlds, tools, servers and
> > clients?? It would be a pretty huge environment to add to games for
> > Fedora. But, it really needs to be done in some fashion, IMHO.
> >
> > We, as Linux users need the numbers to present to these communities, in
> > order to let our presence be known and to start getting some attention
> > to the needs of folks like us, who refuse to use closed source
> > solutions.
> >
> > I've been collecting different 3D schemes from all over the net. It
> > seems like everyone likes to have Linux represented for server sides, if
> > for no other reason to take advantage of being license-less. But the
> > client side goes to M$, more often than not, being closed source and for
> > sale. So, I need to learn to create and maintain rpms. I'd like to
> > voyage through the 3D landscape and find those that are willing to allow
> > us to distribute the open-source 3D projects. What say the group?? Ric
> >

> I think it would be excellent to have someone package-up the various FOSS 3d
> world clients and servers. Even better if you also strat working on fixing
> license issues where these disallow us to distribute the server / client.

I'd be happy to give it a go, but I'll need support when I hit a snag
from the group. I'm already working on something similar for our prison
program, and it'll get me "content organized" to do this. Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar