-   Fedora Games (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-games/)
-   -   RFC: A truly cross-distro game packaging list (was: Chromium BSU upstream developers needed!) (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-games/58301-rfc-truly-cross-distro-game-packaging-list-chromium-bsu-upstream-developers-needed.html)

"Paul Wise" 03-18-2008 08:02 AM

RFC: A truly cross-distro game packaging list (was: Chromium BSU upstream developers needed!)

On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 5:56 PM, Richard Hartmann
<richih.mailinglist@gmail.com> wrote:

> I want to propose to create a cross-distro game mailing list. I know
> the idea has been floating around a few times, but nothing seems to be
> happening. What I have in mind is a place to share interesting patches,
> hot new games, critical holes, try and get ahold of elusive upstreams by
> help of people who already have a package & thus contact and whatnot.

Excllent idea.

> As soon as I have some feedback, I would want to go ahead and create
> a list. Obvious options for hosting are:

I'd suggest freedesktop.org would be the right place.

A ##games on freenode would be a good idea.

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise

Gerfried Fuchs 03-18-2008 08:24 AM

RFC: A truly cross-distro game packaging list (was: Chromium BSU upstream developers needed!)

> 1) Debian servers (will find out if that is OK)

Would be definitely o.k., but I follow your reasoning of that it would
sound too much Debian specific and thus should rather be avoided to not
discourage other people to join in.

> 2) Private Domain

Would mean a maintenance overhead which isn't really needed, there is
enough of offers flying around.

> 3) berlios.de et al

... personally I would suggest gna.org from which I like the offerings
quite well. It's savannah from the FSF France which in my opinion is
pretty much more libre than savannah itself. It feels more comfortable
to me - but I'm not against a particular site, only I do dislike the
sf.net mailinglist advertising immensly, especially when it sends me
microsoft ads. %-/

So long,
Rhonda

"Richard Hartmann" 03-18-2008 08:31 AM

On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 10:02 AM, Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:

> I'd suggest freedesktop.org would be the right place.

Also an option, yes. I will poke them a bit, but on a hunch, I would not
mind setting stuff up over there, either.

> A ##games on freenode would be a good idea.

Depends. While ##games has the potential to become a sort of central hub
about all kind of open source games, which is good, a name like
#cross-distro-games would allow us to use the official namespace and it
could be expanded to encompass other cross-distro-* lists on freedesktop
and channels on freenode over time. As I am freenode staff, I am prolly
best suited to handle that side, as well.

I am poking the fdo people as I write this email to find out if they
would be OK with hosting non-X lists as well if they pop into existance.

If that is not the case, we are back to either berlios or, if we believe
this can grow (and it probably will), to set up a dedicated domain with
ML hosting as I _do_ see potential for this to become 'more'.

Richard

Jordą Polo 03-18-2008 08:53 AM

On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 10:24:33AM +0100, Gerfried Fuchs wrote:
> ... personally I would suggest gna.org from which I like the offerings
> quite well. It's savannah from the FSF France which in my opinion is
> pretty much more libre than savannah itself. It feels more comfortable
> to me - but I'm not against a particular site, only I do dislike the
> sf.net mailinglist advertising immensly, especially when it sends me
> microsoft ads. %-/

Also, note that BerliOS doesn't support new games or game-related
projects anymore. They rejected Wesnoth a few years ago because it was a
game, and they have rejected other games too[1].

1. http://tsdgeos.blogspot.com/2005/12/berlios.html

"Richard Hartmann" 03-18-2008 09:22 AM

RFC: A truly cross-distro game packaging list (was: Chromium BSU upstream developers needed!)

CC'ing toni@links2linux.de, partial self-quote for his benefit

On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 10:33 AM, Hans de Goede <j.w.r.degoede@hhs.nl> wrote:
> Richard Hartmann wrote:

> > I want to propose to create a cross-distro game mailing list. I know
> > the idea has been floating around a few times, but nothing seems to be
> > happening. What I have in mind is a place to share interesting patches,
> > hot new games, critical holes, try and get ahold of elusive upstreams by
> > help of people who already have a package & thus contact and whatnot.

> I'm very much interested in joining such a list (and I must admit then
> unsubscribe from debian-devel-games)

No problem. That is what the list is there for :)

> > 1) Debian servers (will find out if that is OK)
> > 2) Private Domain
> > 3) berlios.de et al

> 1 and 3 are fine with me, 2 is a bit tricky as contributers tend to come and go
> over time.

I tend to stick to stuff and a non-moderared member-only ML runs itself, but yah
that is the point.

> You should really also invite Toni (oc2pus) from packman <toni@links2linux.de>
> he does lots of suse game packages

Done.

Richard

"Richard Hartmann" 03-18-2008 09:25 AM

On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 10:53 AM, Jordą Polo <jorda@ettin.org> wrote:

> Also, note that BerliOS doesn't support new games or game-related
> projects anymore. They rejected Wesnoth a few years ago because it was a
> game, and they have rejected other games too[1].

Thanks!

It seems freedesktop is the place to go, unless someone would prefer
lists d.o.t cross-distro d.o.t org (obfuscated a tad to prevent archive
spiders from thinking this is worthwhile to reg & if anyone grabs that
before we reach consensus here, expect to be lart'ed)

Richard

"Free Gamer" 03-18-2008 04:37 PM

RFC: A truly cross-distro game packaging list (was: Chromium BSU upstream developers needed!)

I have a project here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/freegamer

Could be used for anything Free Software game related.

A cross-distro packing list would be one such ideal usage of this project.

-C

--
Free Gamer - free & open source games list & commentary
http://freegamer.blogspot.com/

"Free Gamer" 03-18-2008 04:38 PM

RFC: A truly cross-distro game packaging list (was: Chromium BSU upstream developers needed!)

Needless to say anybody who needs it would have full admin rights.

- C

"Free Gamer" 03-18-2008 04:38 PM