Old 07-11-2011, 06:11 PM
Bruno Wolff III

Default Is vegastrike working for anyone in F15 or rawhide?

On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 20:02:12 +0200,
Hans de Goede <hdegoede@redhat.com> wrote:

> Thanks, good work! I'm very happy to see all the games work you're doing
> and I wish I had more time to help out myself ...

Thanks! I appreciate the work other people do for other parts of the
distro.

My next game related project is to look at raidem, as it is completely
broken now (but maybe not hard to fix).

If there are lurkers out there, there are some interesting games out
there, that would be nice to get into Fedora, that just need someone with
time to do the packaging. Co-maintaining packages also helps.

Old 07-11-2011, 06:13 PM
Hans de Goede

Hi,

On 06/29/2011 01:18 PM, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 12:51:29 +0200,
> Hans de Goede<hdegoede@redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>> Sounds good too, and once more thanks. I'm afraid I've been unable to
>> give my Fedora games packages the love the deserve lately. Although that
>> is due to working on tons of other FOSS goodness, like webcam drivers
>> and better USB (pass-through/redirection) support for qemu-kvm based
>> virtual machines
>
> Overall the games list seems more quiet than it used to be. The last lively
> discussion was the one about scorefile standards a few months ago.

Yes, I've been thinking about trying to revive the games SIG, try to
build a group of interested people and do monthly irc meetings or
something like that. It seems that many of the people who used to
be involved in the games SIG have moved over to other roles within
Fedora, so I think we need to attract some new contributors for
the Games SIG. I think games are a good place to start for new packagers,
and people tend to like games, so it should be possible
to attract some fresh blood I hope.

The first thing to do would be to write some sort of the Games SIG
is "hiring" email to fedora-devel. Does this sound like a good idea?

I would be willing to help new contributors with interest in the Games
SIG with the first few reviews and by sponsoring them.

Regards,

Hans

Old 07-11-2011, 06:31 PM
Bruno Wolff III

On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 20:13:52 +0200,
Hans de Goede <hdegoede@redhat.com> wrote:

> Yes, I've been thinking about trying to revive the games SIG, try to
> build a group of interested people and do monthly irc meetings or
> something like that. It seems that many of the people who used to
> be involved in the games SIG have moved over to other roles within
> Fedora, so I think we need to attract some new contributors for
> the Games SIG. I think games are a good place to start for new packagers,
> and people tend to like games, so it should be possible
> to attract some fresh blood I hope.

I agree we need more help. And there is plenty of work suitiable for
new packagers to help out. I'd like to see the most experienced packagers
get their time freed up to work on tasks that need their skill.

I'd also like to see more enthusiasm on this list. It seems in the past
there were more discussions than there have been recently.

> The first thing to do would be to write some sort of the Games SIG
> is "hiring" email to fedora-devel. Does this sound like a good idea?

I think we'd want to reach out farther the devel, but that seems like a good
place to get a core group to get things going.

> I would be willing to help new contributors with interest in the Games
> SIG with the first few reviews and by sponsoring them.

That would be good. My sponsor may also help as in the past they have seemed
to be very good about sponsoring new people packaging games.

I am pretty sure comps could use some work as well. A couple of weeks ago
I was looking at things that appeared to be games (based on desktop files
and the group in the spec file) and some weren't listed in the games
group in comps. There were some fuzzy issues that ended up requiring more
time to finish this off than I had, so I didn't get all of the way to filing
bug reports. But that is a task that someone could do without becoming
a packager. Though for some of the borderline cases (game servers, language
packs, etc.) it would help if the SIG provided guidance.

I think the web pages for the sig which list games to use some tweaking
as well. The lists aren't complete and are probably dated. Being able to
generate the list of included games based on repo data might make more sense
than a manually maintained one. The wish list could use some goign over as
well. Some games on that list seemed to have stalled and may not be worth
the effort to package and there are new games that should probably get added.

Graphics driver support is also an issue that affects games. While the low
level stuff probably isn't appropriate for the Games SIG, if there are ways
we can help out the graphics driver guys, it would be good for us to do so.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:50 PM
Bruno Wolff III

On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 21:58:26 +0200,
Hans de Goede <hdegoede@redhat.com> wrote:

> Agreed, I think sending such a mail to both the users and devel lists
> would be better. Do you feel up to drafting such a mail?

I can take an initial cut at something that will probably need a lot
of revision. I'll make a wiki page and ask for feedback. Probably not tonight
as I hope to be testing if a patch fixes the 3.0 kernels for me tonight.
I'll have something by the end of the week.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:58 PM
Hans de Goede

Hi,

Yes, I've been thinking about trying to revive the games SIG, try to
build a group of interested people and do monthly irc meetings or
something like that. It seems that many of the people who used to
be involved in the games SIG have moved over to other roles within
Fedora, so I think we need to attract some new contributors for
the Games SIG. I think games are a good place to start for new packagers,
and people tend to like games, so it should be possible
to attract some fresh blood I hope.

I agree we need more help. And there is plenty of work suitiable for
new packagers to help out. I'd like to see the most experienced packagers
get their time freed up to work on tasks that need their skill.

I'd also like to see more enthusiasm on this list. It seems in the past
there were more discussions than there have been recently.

Agreed, although I think we mainly need more people on this list, then
the enthusiasm will come by itself.

[...]

I have this dirty script, which checks all packages with a rpm group of
Amusement/Games and sees if they are in comps. I've not used it for a while,
so it may be broken. Also it has paths hardcoded to my system. Still I've attached
it in case it is useful. In the past I used this to make sure all
packages with a rpm group of Amusement/Games were either in comps, or on
the blacklist inside the script.

I think the web pages for the sig which list games to use some tweaking
as well. The lists aren't complete and are probably dated. Being able to
generate the list of included games based on repo data might make more sense
than a manually maintained one.

You mean:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Games

I never did much work on that, I think the idea was to have a best of
list for each category. But indeed it needs some updating / loving, or
we could consider abandoning it.

The wish list could use some goign over as
well. Some games on that list seemed to have stalled and may not be worth
the effort to package and there are new games that should probably get added.

Ack.

Graphics driver support is also an issue that affects games. While the low
level stuff probably isn't appropriate for the Games SIG, if there are ways
we can help out the graphics driver guys, it would be good for us to do so.

This is a tricky one. I've done quite a bit of testing and even bisecting
of regressions on my r3xx card, as time allows. ATM I've a sandybridge
core i3 with integrated graphics and I'm reporting bugs where I can, but
indeed the gfx driver situation can be a problem from time to time. I think
that the most important thing we can do is testing + filing detailed
bug reports. And if it is a regression you can try to bisect it.

Regards,

Hans

Old 07-11-2011, 08:54 PM
Bruno Wolff III

On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 11:50:38 +0200,
Rudolf Kastl <che666@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Bruno,
>
> Thanks for your efforts, the upgrade makes me really happy but i still
> have runtime problems with vegastrike with updated mygui cegui ogre
> and vegastrike (all from koji, f15):

I see the same thing on. I don't know if is due to hardware differences
or something with F15. I did try turning off acceleration and the shader
and still always got a crash, though with different messages. This machine
has an rv530 based viedo card and I am using the free Radeon driver.

On F16, it works on an rv280 based card.

Old 07-12-2011, 06:50 PM
Bruno Wolff III

On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 11:50:38 +0200,
Rudolf Kastl <che666@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for your efforts, the upgrade makes me really happy but i still
> have runtime problems with vegastrike with updated mygui cegui ogre
> and vegastrike (all from koji, f15):

I didn't see any signs in the forums that a beta2 is imminent. So on my
end, I think I'll try to do a local svn version and see if that helps.
Given that it works on at least some systems, I'd rather look at raidem
next, since that seems broken everywhere. So it might be a while before
I get to this. With the other libraries in place, it might be easier
for others to play with this now. If so, I'd like to hear what you find.

I'd also be interested if it is working with the RPMFusion video drivers.

I'd be inclined to suspect some OpenGL support issue in mesa is related
to the current problem. I think the rv280 uses a different mesa driver
than the r300-r500 based cards. I'll retest mv nv28 in rawhide to see
if that is showing the same problem as the rv530 was getting in F15.
(I'd like to try to find out if rawhide and F15 account for the difference
or if it is video driver related.)

Old 07-12-2011, 10:45 PM
Hans de Goede

Hi,

On 07/12/2011 08:50 PM, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 11:50:38 +0200,
> Rudolf Kastl<che666@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for your efforts, the upgrade makes me really happy but i still
>> have runtime problems with vegastrike with updated mygui cegui ogre
>> and vegastrike (all from koji, f15):
>
> I didn't see any signs in the forums that a beta2 is imminent. So on my
> end, I think I'll try to do a local svn version and see if that helps.
> Given that it works on at least some systems, I'd rather look at raidem
> next, since that seems broken everywhere.

Note that I just started a build of an updated allegro from 4.2 to 4.4
for rawhide, AllegroOGG and dumb need a release bump and rebuild (will do so
tomorrow), and we may need to rebuild some other libs on the allegro stack,
once that is done the first thing to do wrt raidem is build it against the
updated stack and see if that fixes things.

Regards,

Hans