Old 05-07-2011, 01:00 AM
Paul Wise

Default Standardizing various games packaging things across distros

On Sat, May 7, 2011 at 2:50 AM, Bas Wijnen <wijnen@debian.org> wrote:

> I didn't check. I'm usually reinventing the wheel. :-) *That, and I
> thought someone here would already know about it and yell if something
> like this existed. :-)

There is the GNU Gaming Zone stuff.

AFAICT most games reinvent the wheel when it comes to storing
high-scores on a central server. One game (Primrose) that does this
even uploads the game history when saving your highscore, so that
others can watch how you got that high score.

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise

Old 05-09-2011, 07:01 AM
Hans de Goede

Hi,

On 05/09/2011 02:08 AM, Richard Hartmann wrote:
> FYI, it seems extremely likely that any and all games directories will
> be deprecated in the new release of the FHS. In case you _disagree_,
> it's time to hit the FHS mailing list.

Interesting, what is to happen with /var/games ?

And what do we want to happen with /var/games ?

Also wrt /var/games, from my pov it is not worth the effort to
mv highscore files for existing games from there to
/var/lib/games (or the other way around). This will require
always fragile pre/post install scripts for very little gain,
so my proposal is to leave the location of global highscore
files unchanged for existing packages.

Regards,

Hans

Old 05-11-2011, 05:58 AM
Karl Goetz

On Mon, 09 May 2011 09:01:33 +0200
Hans de Goede <hdegoede@redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi,

Hi,
for added cc goodness i've added fhs-discuss to the cc list for this
message.

> On 05/09/2011 02:08 AM, Richard Hartmann wrote:
> > FYI, it seems extremely likely that any and all games directories
> > will be deprecated in the new release of the FHS. In case you
> > _disagree_, it's time to hit the FHS mailing list.
>
> Interesting, what is to happen with /var/games ?

The latest suggestion on list was to leave directories in place marked
deprecated.
So far i've got a patch to remove them, and i'll put one together
marking them deprecated and referring to /var/lib/games (and friends).
If we go with the 'mark deprecated' approach everything can still keep
behaving the way it was, and migrate over as they see fit.
thanks,
kk

> And what do we want to happen with /var/games ?
>
> Also wrt /var/games, from my pov it is not worth the effort to
> mv highscore files for existing games from there to
> /var/lib/games (or the other way around). This will require
> always fragile pre/post install scripts for very little gain,
> so my proposal is to leave the location of global highscore
> files unchanged for existing packages.

--
Karl Goetz, (Kamping_Kaiser / VK5FOSS)
http://www.kgoetz.id.au