Old 08-05-2008, 09:26 AM
Alan Milnes

Default Help

Jake wrote:
> Ubuntu 8.04.1, kernel 2.6.24-19-generic
> Ubuntu 8.04.1, kernel 2.6.24-19-generic (recovery mode0)
> Ubuntu 8.04.1, memtest86+

Follow the steps in my first post and we can see if your windows disk is
still there.

Alan

Old 08-05-2008, 05:32 PM
Derek Broughton

Jake wrote:

> Well the problem for me is that, there is NO Windows XP on the grub, at
> all.. Not on the 'menu.lst' or on the boot menu at first start up, I ONLY
> have the option of choosing between Ubuntu and Ubuntu (recoverymode), but
> no Windows XP, should I copy my 'menu.lst' on here for you to see? Could
> there be something I can put in there so that I might beable to boot into
> either one of them?

Read the instructions you've been given - at least two told you how to
edit /boot/grub/menu.lst to do exactly that.
--
derek

Old 08-06-2008, 12:29 PM
Christian Csar

To determine if you still have windows installed, it could be helpful to
list the partitions you have on your hard drive. The command to do this
should be
sudo fdisk -l /dev/sda
assuming that /dev/sda is the name of the hard disk in your computer (as
is likely).

Just to check do you happen to know if you used wubi to install ubuntu?
If you had I believe it would have been done from within windows, I do
not know enough about wubi to tell you how to determine if this is the
case; however, I believe the boot loader would not have been the windows
one rather than grub.

Christian

Old 08-13-2008, 11:24 AM
"Sanjay S Nair"

Hi Everybody,

I am new to Linux. I have actually left one week playing with and using purposefully the new fedora 9. I have got solutions for most of the thing all the time. I am a php starting developer and have installed LAMP, phpmyadmin, drupal, filezilla, mplayer successfully and working perfectly. I have some issues currently which I want to clear from relevant sources.

The Totem movie player and Amarok are installed alreadyin my fedora but it is showing errors can't play. I know it requires gstreamer or xine and have tried to install both but unfortunately both failed, i don't know what is the problem.

I have installed some of the software from the source using the ./configure, make , make install and I have removed the folder from which i have installed it. Is that folder required for unistalling the software installed from* that. I have no idea, I have read somewhere that it is required. i want to know the right methods of installing and uninstalling the softwares all possioble way.

When i install something I have no idea where the thing is going to be installed (the directory path). I have less idea of the file system.

I want to have deeper knowledge in using Linux and want to dig into it to learn more. And I know that its open source but I don't know how to use the code. i mean where is all these codes located. how do I modify it and all.

Eventhough i have successfully installed the mplayer I am not successful in installing the GUI for that player. i don't know sometimes it doesn't works the ./configure, make, make install.

I have tried to see some videos from YouTube but the firefox shown to download the plugin. i have downloaded and installed the plugin, i thought everything will be fine but there is no audio only video working fine.

I have installed successfully the youtube-dl.py file and able to download the files using that and viewing using the mplayer fine. And have also installed the firefox plugin for downloading that is Okay.

I don't know how to upgrade the firefox and other stuff. I want to know all the methods not just yum.

And the yum is not working it show some error pop up "Error: Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository: dag. Please verify its path and try again"... And i want to know the offline method installer.

These all are my doubts about the Fedora 9 Usage.

I welcome the replies and lot of thanks for the replies in advance.

Thank you very much once again.

Sanjay.S.Nair
getsanjaysnair@gmail.com

Old 08-13-2008, 11:44 AM
"Rikke D. Giles"

Most of your queries seem to be about yum and playing media.

May I suggest you follow the instructions at:

http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-f9.html

I just installed Fedora 9 on 4 very different machines. Those
instructions worked flawlessly. Now.. to finish updating my Mother's
laptop machine.

Ohh, to make totem work with xine, which I think is best for viewing
movies, etc, issue the following commands as root:

yum install totem-xine
totem-backend -b xine

Cheers,
Rikke

Old 08-13-2008, 11:55 AM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

On Wed, 2008-08-13 at 16:54 +0530, Sanjay S Nair wrote:
> I have installed some of the software from the source using
> the ./configure,
> make , make install and I have removed the folder from which i have
> installed it.

Maybe you're doing this in order to learn about it, but in everyday use
it's rarely required. You install packages using "yum install
<package>". Be aware that doing your own builds means you get to keep
track of any changes in dependencies in the future, staying up to date
with new releases etc. Using yum and rpm frees you from this.

> Is that folder required for unistalling the software installed
> from that. I have no idea, I have read somewhere that it is required.
> i want to know the right methods of installing and uninstalling the
> softwares all possioble way.

Depends completely on the instructions in each package. There's nearly
always a couple of files, called README and INSTALL, which will give you
this information.

In practice, the answer is almost always no. Once installed, you can
remove the build directory. However if you've changed any of the default
build parameters it can still be convenient to keep it around so you can
do "make uninstall" at a later date.

poc

Old 08-13-2008, 12:25 PM
Gijs

Sanjay S Nair wrote:
Eventhough i have successfully installed the mplayer I am not
successful in installing the GUI for that player. i don't know
sometimes it doesn't works the ./configure, make, make install.

"yum install mplayer" should do the trick. You don't really need to
compile everything you want to install. There are some programs that you
cannot get from the standard yum repositories, but if you install the
Livna (http://rpm.livna.org/rlowiki/) or DAG repository you can access
quite a bit.
And I'd recommend using smplayer (http://smplayer.sourceforge.net/)
instead of the standard gui of mplayer.
The Livna repository has it, so you can do "yum install smplayer" after
you install the livna repository and you're good to go. Saves having to
figure out how to fix other video-players as well. (after many years of
waiting, this seems to be the only decent GUI for mplayer actually)

I don't know how to upgrade the firefox and other stuff. I want to
know all the methods not just yum.

The only proper way to update Fedora is by using Yum to be honest.
And the yum is not working it show some error pop up "Error: Cannot
retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository: dag. Please
verify its path and try again"... And i want to know the offline
method installer.

Download the RPM and do "rpm -Uvh filename.rpm"

Hope this helps.

Regards

Old 08-13-2008, 03:24 PM
Anne Wilson

On Wednesday 13 August 2008 12:24, Sanjay S Nair wrote:
> Hi Everybody,
>
> I am new to Linux. I have actually left one week playing with and using
> purposefully the new fedora 9. I have got solutions for most of the thing
> all the time. I am a php starting developer and have installed LAMP,
> phpmyadmin, drupal, filezilla, mplayer successfully and working perfectly.
> I have some issues currently which I want to clear from relevant sources.

Hi, Sanjay. You have a couple of problems but you have achieved a lot
already.

Most popular software already has packages compiled for Fedora, but because of
licensing and other problems many packages can't be in the distro itself.
You will find it useful to add repositories for those programs. You may
choose livna, atrpms or rpmforge or one of several others, but don't mix
livna with the others as there can be some conflicts.

I know you are trying to understand several things about file organisation, so
your best bet is to split the questions into separate threads, with a
descriptive subject line, so that the right people spot the questions and
give you the help you need.

Anne

Old 08-13-2008, 07:42 PM
"Manfred Gerner"

You need the START UP MANAGER on your Ubuntu. This programm allows you to define grub on your system whether it starts with Ubuntu or Windows.

Manfred Gerner

2008/8/4 Jake <ispaz@live.com>

I have Ubuntu 8.04 and I installed it to work "with" Windows XP, and now I can't get to Windows XP anymore, it automatically boots into Ubuntu, I need help on how to either UNINSTALL Ubuntu or INSTRUCTIONS on how to get to Windows XP, all your help will be appreciated..

-Jake Snell

Got Game? Win Prizes in the Windows Live Hotmail Mobile Summer Games Trivia Contest Find out how.

Old 08-13-2008, 09:03 PM
Leonard Chatagnier

--- Manfred Gerner <manfred.gerner@googlemail.com>
wrote:

> You need the START UP MANAGER on your Ubuntu. This
> programm allows you to
> define grub on your system whether it starts with
> Ubuntu or Windows.
>
> Manfred Gerner
>
> 2008/8/4 Jake <ispaz@live.com>
>
> > I have Ubuntu 8.04 and I installed it to work
> "with" Windows XP, and now I
> > can't get to Windows XP anymore, it automatically
> boots into Ubuntu, I need
> > help on how to either UNINSTALL Ubuntu or
> INSTRUCTIONS on how to get to
> > Windows XP, all your help will be appreciated..
> >
> > -Jake Snell
You might also try: sudo update-grub which might solve
your problem and shouldn't hurt anything.

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net