Old 08-04-2008, 05:52 PM
Derek Broughton

Default Help

Nigel Henry wrote:

>> Fine - but that's not much help if you (as Jake has) have already
>> installed
>> both OS's and you don't have a grub menu. In my case, the installer got
>> it right with every install since Warty - except the time I installed to
>> an external drive, but there's enough anecdotal evidence that, even if
>> there isn't anything actually wrong with the installer, it's not too
>> difficult for a user to complete the install without getting grub
>> properly set up.
>>
>> That said, I think Nils probably got it right, with the menu just being
>> hidden.
>
> It has to be said also that the default timeout of 5secs before Grub boots
> the default kernel passes very quickly when you perhaps are a bit
> confused, and you can find yourself being booted into Ubuntu, rather than
> having the time to think of what to do to get the menu, and stop the
> countdown.

Yes. I set mine to 10 seconds as the best (for me) compromise between a
fast boot and giving me enough time to select my second OS, and even then,
when I'm really trying to boot into another OS, I frequently miss the
prompt :-( [you know, it's taking 60 seconds to shut down, so you start
doing something else, then all of a sudden you see it starting Linux
already]

> The first thing I do with a new install is to go into /boot/grub/grub.conf
> (or menu.lst, if thats the only file there), and change the default
> timeout to 30secs, and comment out the hiddenmenu line.
>
> Talking about Ubuntu/Kubuntu's Grub picking up other OS's on the system,
> it finds every OS that it can that are on your drives, and adds them to
> Grubs menu. I have one drive sda, which has all the distros on it, and
> another drive sdb, which is just for data. The first 2 partitions on sdb
> are vfat (FAT32). Grub always picks these up, and creates a chainloader to
> them, even though no operating system exists on these partitions.

Grub doesn't actually do that, the installer does. They're already there in
menu.lst before grub is ever installed on the drive, or invoked. But my
experience is that it _doesn't_ always catch every partition. It's pretty
darn good, but it would be very hard for it to recognize _every_ possible
bootable partition.

> I mean "Other" is a bit obscure as well

:-) I've taken to using exactly that - "Other" is a chainloader to whatever
is on sda1 - which is my recent test OS of interest.

--
derek

Old 08-04-2008, 07:30 PM
debian

On Mon, 2008-08-04 at 03:28 -0400, Jake wrote:
> I have Ubuntu 8.04 and I installed it to work "with" Windows XP, and
> now I can't get to Windows XP anymore, it automatically boots into
> Ubuntu, I need help on how to either UNINSTALL Ubuntu or INSTRUCTIONS
> on how to get to Windows XP, all your help will be appreciated..
>
> -Jake Snell

well when ubuntu boots up, it will first say "press esc". press esc and
it will come up with a list of operating systems found on your hard
disk.

--cj

Old 08-05-2008, 02:02 AM
Jake

Well the problem for me is that, there is NO Windows XP on the grub, at all.. Not on the 'menu.lst' or on the boot menu at first start up, I ONLY have the option of choosing between Ubuntu and Ubuntu (recoverymode), but no Windows XP, should I copy my 'menu.lst' on here for you to see? Could there be something I can put in there so that I might beable to boot into either one of them?

Old 08-05-2008, 02:05 AM
Jake

Ubuntu 8.04.1, kernel 2.6.24-19-generic

Ubuntu 8.04.1, kernel 2.6.24-19-generic (recovery mode0)

Ubuntu 8.04.1, memtest86+

are my only choices.. no Windows XP

Old 08-05-2008, 03:41 AM
Leonard Chatagnier

Look at the last line of your post:
Modify settings or unsubscribe at:

And do it yourself. You are the only one who can as
the file is protected by UID and password.

HTH,
Len

--- Bill Alexander <billalexander2000@yahoo.com>
wrote:

> unsubscribe

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Old 08-05-2008, 04:03 AM
Ranmadhu

Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> Look at the last line of your post:
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at:

> And do it yourself. You are the only one who can as
> the file is protected by UID and password.

I think the reason we get these emails asking to unsubscribe with the
subject line as "help" is because the daily digest says:

"To subscribe or unsubscribe ... send a message with subject or body
'help' to
ubuntu-users-request@lists.ubuntu.com"

And the user accidentally sends it to ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
instead of ubuntu-users-request@lists.ubuntu.com

Ranmadhu

Old 08-05-2008, 04:21 AM
"David Fox"

On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 9:03 PM, Ranmadhu <akamad+linux@gmail.com> wrote:
> "To subscribe or unsubscribe ... send a message with subject or body
> 'help' to
> ubuntu-users-request@lists.ubuntu.com"

That's not very helpful. Why not do 'subscribe' or 'unsubscribe' explicitly?

Old 08-05-2008, 05:18 AM
Nils Kassube

Jake wrote:
> Well the problem for me is that, there is NO Windows XP on the grub, at
> all.. Not on the 'menu.lst' or on the boot menu at first start up, I
> ONLY have the option of choosing between Ubuntu and Ubuntu
> (recoverymode), but no Windows XP, should I copy my 'menu.lst' on here
> for you to see? Could there be something I can put in there so that I
> might beable to boot into either one of them?

Are you sure you still have Windows XP installed? Maybe you selected to
use the entire disk for the installation of Ubuntu. Anyway, if it is
still there, you can add Windows to your file /boot/grub/menu.lst. You
need root privilege to modify the file. Therefore use the command

gksu gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

in a terminal. Search for the line

### BEGIN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST

and add these lines before the AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST line:

title Microsoft Windows
root (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1

Now you will start Windows as default. If you prefer to use Ubuntu as
default, change the line

default 0

and make it look like this:

default 1

Nils

Old 08-05-2008, 06:09 AM
Res

On Mon, 4 Aug 2008, David Fox wrote:

> That's not very helpful. Why not do 'subscribe' or 'unsubscribe' explicitly?

There is mailing list software intelligent enough to intercept these types
of messages and interpret them as unsub requests and deal with them as such,
Mailman AFAIK, is not one of them.

--
Cheers
Res

2/ If only cleanfeed filtered out trolls as well as spam, usenet would be
a nicer place.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:53 AM
Chris Jones