Old 02-03-2011, 11:06 AM
Camaleón

Default help

On Thu, 03 Feb 2011 15:15:19 +1300, Chris Bannister wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 02, 2011 at 02:42:30PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>> > PS As I have said to Chris, I think that your problem understanding
>> > what we are saying may be semantic.
>>
>> I don't think so, it's just I have another POV.
>
> Isn't that the same thing?

<nitpicking mode on>
As I see it, a POV is more about "main concepts" (in this case I was
referring to another off-side topic of this thread, not about what is/
what is not a newbie) while semantic involves a more linguistic approach
(understanding the meaning of concepts in relation to the used words).
</nitpicking mode off>

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 02-03-2011, 01:52 PM
Lisi

On Thursday 03 February 2011 11:54:46 Camaleón wrote:
> Well, if that option is possible even in the common installation setup, I
> can't see why is people complaining about this "sudo/su" thing...

The particular newbie concerned had explicitly stated that he had installed
Lenny!

Lisi

Old 02-03-2011, 02:26 PM
Camaleón

On Thu, 03 Feb 2011 14:52:14 +0000, Lisi wrote:

> On Thursday 03 February 2011 11:54:46 Camaleón wrote:
>> Well, if that option is possible even in the common installation setup,
>> I can't see why is people complaining about this "sudo/su" thing...
>
> The particular newbie concerned had explicitly stated that he had
> installed Lenny!

And...? You mean the Lenny standard installer does not provide such
option? Because at least the expert installer does >:-)

Guys, Debian (whatever flavour -stable/testing/sid-) is very user-
friendly in this "sudo/root" aspect, I have nothing to criticize here.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 02-04-2011, 04:31 AM
Bob Proulx

Chris Bannister wrote:
> The whole point is ... We shouldn't pretend Debian is the same as
> Ubuntu.

Full agreement.

> By giving advice like "sudo <whatever>", we are.

I have been saying 'sudo' since HP-UX 9.0 days. I am pretending that
the user is on a reasonably configured Unix system or will know how to
get there and gently nudging them to improve their system if they need
that nudge. It isn't the default on HP-UX either. But if admins hear
it being talked-up then they will install and configure it. It is
very easy. I have little idea how recent additions to the family such
as cousins Ubuntu, gNewSense, Maemo, Grml, Embedian, and others are
configured and rarely think about them. They are off topic for this
mailing list.

Bob

Old 02-04-2011, 05:16 AM
Chris Bannister

On Thu, Feb 03, 2011 at 11:54:46AM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> Well, if that option is possible even in the common installation setup, I
> can't see why is people complaining about this "sudo/su" thing...

Nobody is complaining about 'this "sudo/su" thing...' whatever "thing"
means.

The whole point is ... We shouldn't pretend Debian is the same as
Ubuntu.

By giving advice like "sudo <whatever>", we are.

-- Napoleon Bonaparte

Old 02-04-2011, 12:10 PM
Camaleón

On Fri, 04 Feb 2011 19:16:46 +1300, Chris Bannister wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 03, 2011 at 11:54:46AM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>> Well, if that option is possible even in the common installation setup,
>> I can't see why is people complaining about this "sudo/su" thing...
>
> Nobody is complaining about 'this "sudo/su" thing...' whatever "thing"
> means.

That "thing" is all the noise you've been done in this thread on this
subject.

> The whole point is ... We shouldn't pretend Debian is the same as
> Ubuntu.

Ubuntu has not the monopoly of sudo, it's not that hard to understand.

> By giving advice like "sudo <whatever>", we are.

I don't think so. By giving "that" advice you are only showing you're
using "sudo" and nothing more. Anything else is what I call "bias".

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 02-04-2011, 05:09 PM
Steven Rosenberg

On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 3:33 AM, Chris Bannister <mockingbird@earthlight.co.nz> wrote:

On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 12:37:05AM -0600, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:

> In <20110131040038.GA3315@fischer>, Chris Bannister wrote:

> >On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 02:40:01PM +0200, Andrei Popescu wrote:

> >> If you do an expert install you are offered the choice to disable root

> >> logins and use sudo instead. Yes, this is on Debian, squeeze installer.

> >Oh! *ok. Then again, "expert" does imply that you know what you are

> >doing, which seems a bit backwards.

> I maintain that experts will be more likely to use sudo than su. *It

> provides better granularity and helps avoid password sharing. *A password

> shared is a password compromised.

Right. But being the expert you probably won't be asking questions where

the answer is something like "sudo <whatever>"

But as is more likely someone asking for advice where the answer is

"sudo <whatever>" are either not experts, and hence it wouldn't have been

configured when they installed squeeze, and therefore the answer "sudo

<whatever>" won't work, or, they are running Ubuntu where it would work

BUT as we all know (all together now) "Ubuntu is NOT Debian."

Am I misunderstanding something?

I'm pretty sure that Debian ships with sudo, or at least it did in my recent Squeeze desktop installation (late November 2010). Sudo wasn't configured (I ran visudo as root to set it up), but I didn't have to add the package (which I usually do in any Unix/Linux I use).

I use OpenBSD as well, and it also ships with sudo (again, it needs to be configured by root with visudo).

Whether you like or hate Ubuntu, it does get one in the habit of using sudo, and I've continued doing so on all my systems, not just those running Ubuntu (of which I still have one box).

Old 02-07-2011, 09:33 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Mi, 02 feb 11, 21:13:37, Joey Hess wrote:

> There is no need to use any expert install option with squeeze. Simply
> follow the instructions it presents:

[snip]

Oh, I should be paying more attention when installing, especially for
checking the Romanian translation

Regards,
Andrei

Old 02-07-2011, 09:41 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Jo, 03 feb 11, 15:11:40, Chris Bannister wrote:

> If they are trying it for the first time, problems executing the
> commands they are given could sway them to ditch it entirely?

It probably has a lot to do with the (lack of) patience of that
particular person, but yes, in my experience it can happen.

Regards,
Andrei

Old 05-09-2011, 04:10 PM
John Humphrey

I have an IBM Thinkcentre Desktop and have recently installed Ubuntu 10.10 on it. Here is the setup I'm using:�

Main router is Sagemcom 1704
Repeater is Linksys wrt54g v6 with ww-drt firmware converting it to a repeater
Wireless adapter is Netgear WG111v2
At first, it worked fairly well. I didn't use any drivers, just plugged it in and it worked. As time passed, the connection became slower and slower.

My questions are:
1. Do I need to install the Netgear drivers?
2. Do I need to use another configuration on the router and/or repeater beside the default?
3. How do I raise the wattage going to the Wireless adapter via usb? The adapter requires 200 -300 mW but only receiving 71 mW.

I think my problem lies somewhere within these questions. The signal is adequate staying at the upper 70's and lower to mid 80's.�
I am pretty computer savvy using Windows but Ubuntu is new to me. I am very happy with Ubuntu and will not go back to Windows�

so I need help to figure this out.
Thank you in advance.
--�
John Humphrey