Old 01-28-2011, 03:13 PM
Lisi

Default help

On Friday 28 January 2011 19:33:49 Robert Blair Mason Jr. wrote:
> That's true. *However, isn't sudo one of the first packages most people
> install on a fresh installation (other than services, etc)? *Most people I
> know have sudo on their machines... *Well, anyway, we all know what
> *assume* spells.

No - it isn't. And a newbie certainly would n't have installed it. He would
have pu on a standard install. No sudo.

> I know I'm going to get flack for this... but isn't debian-stable not
> _really_ the best distro for newbies? *Testing seems to be more intended
> for general use, while stable is for systems that *can't* break, servers,
> etc. *Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

On the contrary, in the normal way it is a very good distro for newbies,
because the keeping it updated is so much easier, and it isn't going to
break, which both Testing (sometimes) and Sid (often) do.

At this prcise juncture he would ahve been better off installing Squeeze, but
he is where he is.

I agree that he might have to ask about repositories, but the advice to use an
application that he hasn't got to install a package that isn't there is
hardly helpful! And he can always ask about repositories. Your assumption
that he could jusr use backports, without mentioning them, nor giving any
help with using them, was also hardly helpful for a newbie!!

Lisi

Old 01-28-2011, 03:37 PM
Andrei Popescu