Old 10-09-2010, 04:55 PM
Bruce Marshall

Default help

On Saturday, October 09, 2010, JK wrote:
> I am a new comer to Linux.
> I am using Kubuntu in my Net book.The bug fixes up to 28/09/2010 was
> downloaded. The system was running peaceful. Using synaptic I have
> uninstalled a few packages name starting with X. When I restarted, the
> login dialogue box appears, receives password then a black screen with the
> mouse indication only is shown. I am not at all familiar with the commands
> etc at the recovery mode prompt. Can anyone suggest an easiest method
> using GUI

1) It would help to know what pkgs you 'uninstalled' (and why)

2) And at this point, I would think your best best would be to re-install the
version you started with (which would also be helpful for us to know)

3) Once you have "messed with the system" as though you knew what damage
could be done, there is usually no GUI way to fix it. You've broken the
system.

Old 10-09-2010, 05:09 PM
Goh Lip

On Saturday 09,October,2010 11:38 PM, JK wrote:
> I am a new comer to Linux.
> I am using Kubuntu in my Net book.The bug fixes up to 28/09/2010 was
> downloaded. The system was running peaceful. Using synaptic I have
> uninstalled a few packages name starting with X. When I restarted, the
> login dialogue box appears, receives password then a black screen with the
> mouse indication only is shown. I am not at all familiar with the commands
> etc at the recovery mode prompt. Can anyone suggest an easiest method
> using GUI

Kovalam, didn't earlier replies by Gene, David and Sarunas (30th Sept)
help? If not, why didn't you reply to that thread itself or at least
explain why you cannot do what they suggested.

Goh Lip

Old 10-11-2010, 12:04 AM
Ric Moore

On Sat, 2010-10-09 at 21:08 +0530, JK wrote:
> I am a new comer to Linux.
> I am using Kubuntu in my Net book.The bug fixes up to 28/09/2010 was
> downloaded. The system was running peaceful. Using synaptic I have
> uninstalled a few packages name starting with X. When I restarted, the
> login dialogue box appears, receives password then a black screen with the
> mouse indication only is shown. I am not at all familiar with the commands
> etc at the recovery mode prompt. Can anyone suggest an easiest method
> using GUI

Re-install, don't delete things beginning with "X". Not until you know
exactly what you're deleting. Ric

Linux user# 44256

Old 12-03-2010, 08:19 PM
"Linux User #332203"

Old 12-04-2010, 09:05 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Fri, 3 Dec 2010 15:19:46 -0600, Linux User #332203 wrote:

Changing your mailer may help with the white text on a white background
problem

--
Neil Bothwick

Law of Mechanical Repair: After your hands become coated with
grease, your nose will begin to itch.

Old 01-26-2011, 05:41 PM
Padilla Juan Leon II

greetings !

i just installed my debian 5.0.7 in my laptop.

i just want to install 3 things in my debian OS

1 google chrome
2 skype
3 adobe flash player

i read some of the text in the web but i can't install any of those things above.

if you don't mind can you make the instruction very simple im not that very good in comp laguage.

thank you and more power!

juan padilla

Old 01-26-2011, 06:16 PM
"Hans-J. Ullrich"

Am Mittwoch, 26. Januar 2011 schrieb Padilla Juan Leon II:
> greetings !

Hi Padilla,

> i just installed my debian 5.0.7 in my laptop.

Good choice!

> i just want to install 3 things in my debian OS
>
> 1 google chrome
Chrome and chromium-browser are in the repository and can be installed using
aptitude or apt. If you do not know, how, read the documentation of apt.
You can also use synaptic, but aptitude is recommended.

> 2 skype

Skype can be downloaded at the skype site. You can install it by
using "dpkg -i skype-bla-whatever.deb". If libs are missing, use them from the
repository, then try again. Runs only on 32-bit systems, but using 32-bit-libs
of a chroot you can run it on 64-bit systems.

> 3 adobe flash player
There is no package for adobe flashplayer, but you can install the package
"flashplayer-unfree" from the repository, which includes a script for
installing adobes flashplayer. Works best with iceweasel. Both architectures
are supported.

> i read some of the text in the web but i can't install any of those things
> above.

See above. :=)
> if you don't mind can you make the instruction very simple im not that very
> good in comp laguage.
>
> thank you and more power!
>
> juan padilla

Have fun and good luck!

Hans

Old 01-26-2011, 06:54 PM
Johan Grönqvist

2011-01-26 20:16, Hans-J. Ullrich skrev:

Am Mittwoch, 26. Januar 2011 schrieb Padilla Juan Leon II:

i just installed my debian 5.0.7 in my laptop.

1 google chrome

Chrome and chromium-browser are in the repository and can be installed using
aptitude or apt. If you do not know, how, read the documentation of apt.
You can also use synaptic, but aptitude is recommended.

That is correct, but they are not in the man debian repositories debian
5.0.7, so you have to add extra repositories for chromium-browser. See
links at end of this message.

The next version of debian, 6.0 (also known as "squeeze"), will be
released in less than two weeks, and therein you will find chromium in
the debian repositories. If you are just starting with debian, I would
recommend installing that version. Either from the release candidate
installer, or by waiting two weeks and then installing it.

3 adobe flash player

There is no package for adobe flashplayer, but you can install the package
"flashplayer-unfree" from the repository, which includes a script for
installing adobes flashplayer. Works best with iceweasel. Both architectures
are supported.

That would be flashplugin-nonfree, and it is available in the "contrib"
repository, which has to be activated.

According to the wiki-page the flashplugin may not work with debian
5.0.7 (Lenny), but may need debian 6.0 (squeeze).

i read some of the text in the web but i can't install any of those things
above.

Did you find the following?

<http://wiki.debian.org/skype>
<http://wiki.debian.org/FlashPlayer>
<http://wiki.debian.org/Chromium>

if you don't mind can you make the instruction very simple im not that very
good in comp laguage.

Have a look at the links to the debian wiki and ask again if you fail.
(And do not be discouraged by initial problems, I had lots of them.)

Have fun.

/ johan

Archive: ihpu4s$ne$1@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/ihpu4s$ne$1@dough.gmane.org

Old 01-26-2011, 07:05 PM
Camaleón

On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 20:54:01 +0100, Johan Grönqvist wrote:

> 2011-01-26 20:16, Hans-J. Ullrich skrev:
>> Am Mittwoch, 26. Januar 2011 schrieb Padilla Juan Leon II:

(...)

>>> 3 adobe flash player
>> There is no package for adobe flashplayer, but you can install the
>> package "flashplayer-unfree" from the repository, which includes a
>> script for installing adobes flashplayer. Works best with iceweasel.
>> Both architectures are supported.
>>

> That would be flashplugin-nonfree, and it is available in the "contrib"
> repository, which has to be activated.
>
> According to the wiki-page the flashplugin may not work with debian
> 5.0.7 (Lenny), but may need debian 6.0 (squeeze).

Uh? How bad! :-(

Anyway, you can always get it from Adobe site:

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

Installation should be straight-forward (download the "tar.gz" and put
the extracted "*.so" file under the plugins directory, system-wide or
under the user's browser profile).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 01-26-2011, 07:20 PM
"Hans-J. Ullrich"

Am Mittwoch, 26. Januar 2011 schrieb Camaleón:
> On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 20:54:01 +0100, Johan Grönqvist wrote:
> > 2011-01-26 20:16, Hans-J. Ullrich skrev:
> >> Am Mittwoch, 26. Januar 2011 schrieb Padilla Juan Leon II:
> (...)

> >> There is no package for adobe flashplayer, but you can install the
> >> package "flashplayer-unfree" from the repository, which includes a
> >> script for installing adobes flashplayer. Works best with iceweasel.
> >> Both architectures are supported.
> >
> > That would be flashplugin-nonfree, and it is available in the "contrib"
> > repository, which has to be activated.
> >
> > According to the wiki-page the flashplugin may not work with debian
> > 5.0.7 (Lenny), but may need debian 6.0 (squeeze).
>
> Uh? How bad! :-(
>
> Anyway, you can always get it from Adobe site:
>
> http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/
>
> Installation should be straight-forward (download the "tar.gz" and put
> the extracted "*.so" file under the plugins directory, system-wide or
> under the user's browser profile).
>
> Greetings,

Yes guys, you are right. Sorry for that, I meant "flashplugin-nonfree", and
yes, I am running squeeze.

Besides, I personally recommend squeeze, as squeeze will be very soon becoming
stable, and it is running without any problems on any of my systems (32-bit
and 64-bit). IMO lenny is nowadays a little bit old, with kde3 and old kernel,
although lenny is very well tested. The decision, which one to use, must one
do for himself.

IMO lenny might cause more problems at special wishes, than squeeze, just
because of outdated packages. But that is only my personal opinion.

Just ask for any help.

Have fun!

Hans