Old 03-21-2010, 11:23 AM
KH

Default help

Am 20.03.2010 22:28, schrieb Nikos Chantziaras:
[...]

And people still claim it's Microsoft products that are bugged... :P

They call it improvement and not bugfixing.

Old 03-22-2010, 03:54 PM
Paul Hartman

On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 7:46 PM, Stroller
<stroller@stellar.eclipse.co.uk> wrote:

> I was very impressed by Windows 7 recently. I installed it for a customer
> and it seems wonderful. I even considered trying it myself, but I realised
> that the inability to copy settings from one profile or machine to another
> is a *complete* deal-breaker to me.

[OT]

In Windows XP it was called "Files and Settings Transfer Wizard". It
could be run from the Windows install CD or maybe it was installed as
well. You ran it on the source machine, then on the target machine and
it did its magic. It even carried over individual apps settings for
supported products (microsoft, adobe, etc). Did they get rid of that
tool in later versions of Windows?

Old 03-22-2010, 04:05 PM
Nikos Chantziaras

On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 7:46 PM, Stroller
I was very impressed by Windows 7 recently. I installed it for a customer
and it seems wonderful. I even considered trying it myself, but I realised
that the inability to copy settings from one profile or machine to another
is a *complete* deal-breaker to me.

[OT]

In Windows XP it was called "Files and Settings Transfer Wizard". It
could be run from the Windows install CD or maybe it was installed as
well. You ran it on the source machine, then on the target machine and
it did its magic. It even carried over individual apps settings for
supported products (microsoft, adobe, etc). Did they get rid of that
tool in later versions of Windows?

No, it's still there (and improved). No idea why Stroller couldn't find it.

Old 03-22-2010, 06:17 PM
Mick

On Monday 22 March 2010 17:05:12 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> On 03/22/2010 06:54 PM, Paul Hartman wrote:
> > On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 7:46 PM, Stroller
> >
> > <stroller@stellar.eclipse.co.uk> wrote:
> >> I was very impressed by Windows 7 recently. I installed it for a
> >> customer and it seems wonderful. I even considered trying it myself, but
> >> I realised that the inability to copy settings from one profile or
> >> machine to another is a *complete* deal-breaker to me.
> >
> > [OT]
> >
> > In Windows XP it was called "Files and Settings Transfer Wizard". It
> > could be run from the Windows install CD or maybe it was installed as
> > well. You ran it on the source machine, then on the target machine and
> > it did its magic. It even carried over individual apps settings for
> > supported products (microsoft, adobe, etc). Did they get rid of that
> > tool in later versions of Windows?
>
> No, it's still there (and improved). No idea why Stroller couldn't find
> it.

Hmm ... I have W7 on my new laptop. I booted it 3 times in as many months.
One of these times was to update the BIOS. All I can say its that I found it
enormously irritating because many things are not where I would expect to
find them (like defrag). There is however a search function - which is only
good if you already know the name of the executable.

TBH, I wouldn't pay money for it but as many OEM impose a MSWindows tax on
all of us I had no other option if I wanted to buy this particular laptop.
Mick

Old 03-22-2010, 06:21 PM
KH

TBH, I wouldn't pay money for it but as many OEM impose a MSWindows tax on
all of us I had no other option if I wanted to buy this particular laptop.

You can refuse the license agreement and give windows back. If you are
lucky, the vendor will give you some money back.

kh

Old 03-22-2010, 06:40 PM
Mick

On Monday 22 March 2010 19:21:26 KH wrote:
> Am 22.03.2010 20:17, schrieb Mick:
> > TBH, I wouldn't pay money for it but as many OEM impose a MSWindows tax
> > on all of us I had no other option if I wanted to buy this particular
> > laptop.
>
> You can refuse the license agreement and give windows back. If you are
> lucky, the vendor will give you some money back.

Getting money back from Dell?!! It'll be like squeezing blood out of a
stone. ;-)

Seriously though, I've asked them to take it off for me and they said that
this is "not an option"!
Mick

Old 03-22-2010, 07:33 PM
Mike Edenfield

On 3/22/2010 3:40 PM, Mick wrote:
> On Monday 22 March 2010 19:21:26 KH wrote:
>> Am 22.03.2010 20:17, schrieb Mick:
>>> TBH, I wouldn't pay money for it but as many OEM impose a MSWindows tax
>>> on all of us I had no other option if I wanted to buy this particular
>>> laptop.
>>
>> You can refuse the license agreement and give windows back. If you are
>> lucky, the vendor will give you some money back.
>
> Getting money back from Dell?!! It'll be like squeezing blood out of a
> stone. ;-)
>
> Seriously though, I've asked them to take it off for me and they said that
> this is "not an option"!

Particularly annoying is the fact that Dell claims to be "Linux
friendly". Which is apparently shorthand for:

"Sure, we'll happily sell you one of three crappy laptop models with
Ubuntu pre-installed, at a slight discount, while bombarding you with
'Dell Recommends Windows' ads while you shop. What's that? You want a
desktop machine with Linux? Are you insane?"

Old 03-22-2010, 07:41 PM
Nikos Chantziaras

[...]

Dell mainly sells "Windows Computers", not "Computers". If someone
doesn't like that, why buy one? There's a gazillion of e-shops selling
custom machines.

Old 03-22-2010, 07:46 PM
Neil Walker

On 22/03/10 19:21, KH wrote:
> Am 22.03.2010 20:17, schrieb Mick:
>

>> TBH, I wouldn't pay money for it but as many OEM impose a MSWindows
>> tax on
>> all of us I had no other option if I wanted to buy this particular
>> laptop.
>
> You can refuse the license agreement and give windows back. If you are
> lucky, the vendor will give you some money back.
>
> kh

Actually, you don't need any luck. It's been a few years now
since Microsoft were ordered by the courts to give refunds. The
vendor doesn't even come into the picture. Return Windows
unopened to Microsoft and they HAVE to refund you.

Be lucky,

Neil
http://www.neiljw.com/

believed to be clean.

Old 03-22-2010, 07:55 PM
Neil Walker

On 22/03/10 20:33, Mike Edenfield wrote:

> "Sure, we'll happily sell you one of three crappy laptop models with
> Ubuntu pre-installed, at a slight discount, while bombarding you with
> 'Dell Recommends Windows' ads while you shop. What's that? You want a
> desktop machine with Linux? Are you insane?"

The real insanity is buying over-priced crap from Dell.

Be lucky,

Neil
http://www.neiljw.com/

believed to be clean.