Old 01-07-2010, 10:40 PM
"Joseph L. Casale"

Default help

>we at work have some PC's with 256 MB RAM, the graphical mode doesn't load, so we choice the text mode, but in all machines we get the same error, Anaconda 12.47
>
>do you have an idea how to solve it?

Yeah, add ram. Anaconda needs like 1/2 gig, and nevermind trying to
Fedora w/ < 1/2gig as well...

Old 01-08-2010, 12:06 AM
Tony Nelson

On 10-01-07 18:40:16, Joseph L. Casale wrote:
> > we at work have some PC's with 256 MB RAM, the graphical mode
> > doesn't load, so we choice the text mode, but in all machines we
> > get the same error, Anaconda 12.47
> >
> >do you have an idea how to solve it?
>
> Yeah, add ram. Anaconda needs like 1/2 gig, and nevermind trying to
> Fedora w/ < 1/2gig as well...

Umm, don't you think that the Anaconda developers know what is
required, and that the rather minimal text-mode install is designed to
use less memory?

OP: There may be useful info in the other VTs when the error occurs.

If you can't find a workaround, try Debian, which has much better
support than Fedora for small memory machines, due to the different
goals of the projects. If you want to run a GUI on 256 MB, you might
want to choose something less memory-hungry than Gnome or KDE.

Old 01-08-2010, 12:39 AM
Ralph Blach

On am embedded power pc project with 256 mb of ram, I ran fvwm, just
fine. This was with nfs root and a very old matrox video card.

I also compiled xdoom, madplay, and mozilla.

So this can be done, you will just need to install the basic machine in
text mode, the install x, and fvwm along with the apps you want.

Chip.

Old 01-08-2010, 02:03 AM
Kam Leo

On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 5:39 PM, Ralph Blach <rcblach@gmail.com> wrote:
> On am embedded power pc project with 256 mb of ram, I ran fvwm, just fine.
> *This was with nfs root and a very old matrox video card.
>
> I also compiled xdoom, madplay, and mozilla.
>
> So this can be done, you will just need to install the basic machine in text
> mode, the install x, and fvwm along with the apps you want.
>
> Chip.
>
> Tony Nelson wrote:

>>> Yeah, add ram. Anaconda needs like 1/2 gig, and nevermind trying to
>>> Fedora w/< *1/2gig as well...
>>
>> Umm, don't you think that the Anaconda developers know what is
>> required, and that the rather minimal text-mode install is designed to
>> use less memory?
>>
>> OP: *There may be useful info in the other VTs when the error occurs.
>>
>> If you can't find a workaround, try Debian, which has much better
>> support than Fedora for small memory machines, due to the different
>> goals of the projects. *If you want to run a GUI on 256 MB, you might
>> want to choose something less memory-hungry than Gnome or KDE.

Try appending "nomodeset" to grub. You may also need to add "vga=791"
or "vga=ask" to ensure selection of a suitable display driver.

Old 01-08-2010, 11:04 AM
Alan Cox

On Thu, 7 Jan 2010 23:40:16 +0000
"Joseph L. Casale" <jcasale@activenetwerx.com> wrote:

> >we at work have some PC's with 256 MB RAM, the graphical mode doesn't load, so we choice the text mode, but in all machines we get the same error, Anaconda 12.47
> >
> >do you have an idea how to solve it?
>
> Yeah, add ram. Anaconda needs like 1/2 gig, and nevermind trying to
> Fedora w/ < 1/2gig as well...

Text mode install for a minimal system, then installgroup xfce and claws
and a few other apps instead of evolution and gnome. That's a reasonably
quick way to debloat Fedora and actually get work done. Useful on bigger
boxes too as the desktop is much snappier and starts far faster.

Old 01-08-2010, 11:19 AM
Andrew Haley

On 01/08/2010 12:04 PM, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Jan 2010 23:40:16 +0000
> "Joseph L. Casale" <jcasale@activenetwerx.com> wrote:
>
>>> we at work have some PC's with 256 MB RAM, the graphical mode doesn't load, so we choice the text mode, but in all machines we get the same error, Anaconda 12.47
>>>
>>> do you have an idea how to solve it?
>>
>> Yeah, add ram. Anaconda needs like 1/2 gig, and nevermind trying to
>> Fedora w/ < 1/2gig as well...
>
> Text mode install for a minimal system, then installgroup xfce and claws
> and a few other apps instead of evolution and gnome. That's a reasonably
> quick way to debloat Fedora and actually get work done. Useful on bigger
> boxes too as the desktop is much snappier and starts far faster.

That's a really i.nteresting and useful piece of advice that I haven't
heard before. Thanks a lot, and this needs to be written up on a wall
somewhere.

Andrew.

Old 01-08-2010, 11:21 AM
Athmane Madjoudj

On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 1:04 PM, Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Jan 2010 23:40:16 +0000
> "Joseph L. Casale" <jcasale@activenetwerx.com> wrote:
>
>> >we at work have some PC's with 256 MB RAM, the graphical mode doesn't load, so we choice the text mode, but in all machines we get the same error, Anaconda 12.47
>> >
>> >do you have an idea how to solve it?
>>
>> Yeah, add ram. Anaconda needs like 1/2 gig, and nevermind trying to
>> Fedora w/ < 1/2gig as well...
>
> Text mode install for a minimal system, then installgroup xfce and claws
> and a few other apps instead of evolution and gnome. That's a reasonably
> quick way to debloat Fedora and actually get work done. Useful on bigger
> boxes too as the desktop is much snappier and starts far faster.

Try to use Xfce or LXDE fedora live spins : http://spins.fedoraproject.org/

run them in text mode and launch the installer.

-OR-

transfer the disk image directly to the hard disk.

i was able to run fedora Xfce live on an old p3 1ghz w/ 512mb ram.

--
Athmane Madjoudj

Old 01-08-2010, 12:57 PM
Terry Polzin

On Friday 08 January 2010 07:04, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Jan 2010 23:40:16 +0000
>
> "Joseph L. Casale" <jcasale@activenetwerx.com> wrote:
> > >we at work have some PC's with 256 MB RAM, the graphical mode doesn't
> > > load, so we choice the text mode, but in all machines we get the same
> > > error, Anaconda 12.47
> > >
> > >do you have an idea how to solve it?
> >
> > Yeah, add ram. Anaconda needs like 1/2 gig, and nevermind trying to
> > Fedora w/ < 1/2gig as well...
>
> Text mode install for a minimal system, then installgroup xfce and claws
> and a few other apps instead of evolution and gnome. That's a reasonably
> quick way to debloat Fedora and actually get work done. Useful on bigger
> boxes too as the desktop is much snappier and starts far faster.
I've tried installing XFCE on f12 lately, and just get a lovely background and
nothing else.

Old 01-08-2010, 01:56 PM
Matthew Miller

On Thu, Jan 07, 2010 at 09:42:06PM +0000, jorge a secas wrote:
> we at work have some PC's with 256 MB RAM, the graphical mode doesn't
> load, so we choice the text mode, but in all machines we get the same
> error, Anaconda 12.47

What is the error you get in text mode?

--
Matthew Miller <mattdm@mattdm.org>
Senior Systems Architect

Old 01-28-2010, 04:59 AM
Joy Methew

Hello all,
i m using RHEL5.3 as a my mail server with real ip.i
configure my system mostly remotely.last login time of my system 27 jan
from this ip 118.129.153.43.
than i try to login at 28 jan in morning so i can`t got authentication as
root from my last password.
than i reboot the system reset my password.
i login as a root than i run "last" command i m sending tha first 10 lines
of last command...i thinks someone hack my system.i am sending history
command output.
now i remove .ssh directory and /var/tmp/*

please suggest wat is this??

thanks

last command out put:
root pts/1 117.199.118.234 Thu Jan 28 10:58 still logged in
root pts/0 117.199.118.234 Thu Jan 28 10:49 still logged in
root tty1 Thu Jan 28 10:48 - 10:52 (00:04)
reboot system boot 2.6.18-128.el5PA Thu Jan 28 10:45 (00:25)
root pts/2 165.red-79-153-1 Thu Jan 28 01:42 - 01:52 (00:09)
root pts/2 165.red-79-153-1 Wed Jan 27 23:02 - 01:27 (02:25)
root pts/2 165.red-79-153-1 Wed Jan 27 22:33 - 22:34 (00:00)
root pts/3 165.red-79-153-1 Wed Jan 27 22:32 - 22:33 (00:00)
root pts/2 118.129.153.43 Wed Jan 27 22:31 - 22:32 (00:01)
root pts/2 117.199.114.189 Wed Jan 27 15:47 - 15:51 (00:03)

What is 165.red-79........this is nt my ip.

History Output

115 cat /proc/cpuinfo
116 mkdir .ssh
117 cd .ssh
118 echo ssh-rsa
AAAAB3NzaC1yc2EAAAABJQAAAIBSUxeR1W95aH+iJwXRJaswx6 YwqqZPk2BBLaGoJR5vnLARZbpMZzxfjo9wwed/FONEcnZFVo0eTkaZ+xDaC8eDvT0A4gRC2ahK7sCM17nbRvwGdX PIKismvz6Xqp7mLRf+I2jI6xKq8lba96U6uUHtbiaRi814IyJ3 Q0It54KBwQ==
rsa-key-20080201 >> ~/.ssh/authorized_keys; chmod 700 ~/.ssh; chmod 600
~/.ssh/authorized_keys
119 cd /var/tmp
120 mkdir " "
121 cd " "
122 passwd
123 echo ssh-rsa
AAAAB3NzaC1yc2EAAAABJQAAAIBSUxeR1W95aH+iJwXRJaswx6 YwqqZPk2BBLaGoJR5vnLARZbpMZzxfjo9wwed/FONEcnZFVo0eTkaZ+xDaC8eDvT0A4gRC2ahK7sCM17nbRvwGdX PIKismvz6Xqp7mLRf+I2jI6xKq8lba96U6uUHtbiaRi814IyJ3 Q0It54KBwQ==
rsa-key-20080201 >> ~/.ssh/authorized_keys; chmod 700 ~/.ssh; chmod 600
~/.ssh/authorized_keys
124 ps -x
125 cd /var/tmp
126 w