Old 02-18-2009, 06:36 AM
Rashkae

Default help

Mario Vukelic wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-02-18 at 00:24 -0500, JASON wrote:
>> I wanna use Ubuntu as my main local software, but my printer is hp
>> laser jet 1005 and I can not find the drivers, for ubuntu so, would
>> you please give an idea how to deal with that inconvenient?
>
> This printer should work "mostly". Can you try the foo2zjs printer
> driver as recommended by the OpenPrinting database?
> http://www.openprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=HP-LaserJet_1005

Hmm, I'm going to over-complicate this with a small can of worms...

I see that the print-manager suggests foo2zjs when you select this
printer from the list. However, according to the HP Open source
project, the 1005 has been supported by hplip since version 2.7.2.
(Hardy comes with version 2.8.2)

Should the print manager/foomatic be updated to change the recommended
driver?

Old 02-18-2009, 05:03 PM
"H.S."

David Curtis wrote:

> sudo apt-get install foo2zjs.
>
> The home page[1] advises not to use any distro packages but to get the source from the site and compile yourself. I say try Ubuntu's package first. If it doesn't work you can always 'sudo apt-get remove foo2zjs', and then follow the instructions from the site.
>
> [1] http://foo2zjs.rkkda.com/

Just to mention an experience a friend has on 64 bit Intrepid. With
Laserjet 1018, Ubuntu's package did not work, the website's package did.

ever having been read.

Old 02-18-2009, 10:39 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Wed, 2009-02-18 at 02:36 -0500, Rashkae wrote:
> However, according to the HP Open source
> project, the 1005 has been supported by hplip since version 2.7.2.
> (Hardy comes with version 2.8.2)

The OpenPrinting site says as much, but also adds that the hplip driver
has issues and that foo2zjs works better

> Should the print manager/foomatic be updated to change the recommended
> driver?

In the absence of any better info then OpenPrinting, I'd wager that it
only should do so if it works as well or better.

Old 02-24-2009, 12:33 AM
"johnocdneuman@gmail.com"

Old 02-24-2009, 08:54 PM
Flore V

v.flore@yahoo.com
*

hey,i need help
*
i want a linux version that has complete suport for developers and sistem admin
*
i study in a university where linux is suport for "OS" course...
*
please give me a link to download a complete version of linux and some documentation about installing and maintaining the operating sistem..
*
Thank you!

Old 02-25-2009, 03:17 PM
Charlie Kravetz

On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 13:54:54 -0800 (PST)
Flore V <v.flore@yahoo.com> wrote:

> v.flore@yahoo.com
>

> hey,i need help
>
> i want a linux version that has complete suport for developers and
> sistem admin
>
> i study in a university where linux is suport for "OS" course...
>
> please give me a link to download a complete version of linux and
> some documentation about installing and maintaining the operating
> sistem..
>
> Thank you!

This gives information about both the desktop and server editions, and
has the link to download either one.
http://www.ubuntulinux.org/

Good luck,

--
Charlie Kravetz

Old 02-25-2009, 03:24 PM
Jaap Liek

Search for Ubuntu and burn it on a CD.
Then you have a marvellous and easy to use system.
--
Jaap Liek <zeekyker@gmail.com>

Old 02-25-2009, 04:45 PM
Arthur Johnson

Victor,

You can download ubuntu at:

http://www.ubuntu.com

There is a ton of documentation on that website in terms of using Linux and installing the Ubuntu distro of Linux.* A few other sites that might help you in your quest:

http://www.tldp.org/ -- The Linux Documentation Project
http://www.howtoforge.com/ -- Linux Howto's and Tutorials

Plus, you will want to check out the #ubuntu channel on irc.ubuntu.com and the http://www.ubuntuforums.org for support.

Thanks