Old 11-18-2008, 08:56 PM
Mario Vukelic

Default Help

On Tue, 2008-11-18 at 22:50 +0100, Mario Vukelic wrote:
> I have never used Wubi and therefore have no clue about the "program
> already open, do I want to uninstall"

Though I found a very easy walk-through on Wubi's website:
http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=1570

Old 11-18-2008, 09:46 PM
NoOp

On 11/18/2008 12:51 PM, Dan Maney wrote:
> Hi, HELP.
> I'm having trouble downloading / installing Ubuntu.
> I confirmed BIOS, confirmed download with MD5Sum, & downloaded wima6481.
> When I couldn't open or run program using I burned to disc,
> I downloaded Wubi.
> No luck.

http://wubi-installer.org/
<quote>

Wubi is Simple

No need to burn a CD. Just run the installer, enter a password for the
new account, and click "Install", go grab a coffee, and when you are
back, Ubuntu will be ready for you.
</quote>

http://wubi-installer.org/faq.php

They are talking about the file: wubi.exe. Just double-click on the file
and follow the rest of the instructions.

To install directly from a liveCD:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GraphicalInstall

To install 8.04 (recommended) directly from the Alternate CD:
https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/installation-guide/index.html

To install 8.10 (don't use if you are new to Ubuntu) directly form the
Alternate CD:
https://help.ubuntu.com/8.10/installation-guide/index.html

> I'm Pavlov's Dog. Need Help!
> I'm using a Dell Inspiron 8100 purchased 12/23/01
> Pentium 3 1.0 GHz
> 512MB SDRAM
> 16MB DDR 4X AGP NVIDIA GeForse 2 Go Vidio
> 30GB Hard Drive
> MiniPCI 56K +10/100 Modem
> Windows XP Home 2002 w/ Service Pack 2
> Updated BIOS: A15
> I've been using Mozilla Firefox & Thunderbird, AVG, Prevx/CSI, Spyware Dr
> And it's still OLD & SLOW.

That system should run Ubuntu just fine.

Old 11-19-2008, 12:32 AM
Leonard Chatagnier

> On 11/18/2008 12:51 PM, Dan Maney wrote:
> > Hi, HELP.
> > I'm having trouble downloading / installing
> Ubuntu.
> > I confirmed BIOS, confirmed download with MD5Sum,
> & downloaded wima6481.
> > When I couldn't open or run program using I burned
> to disc,
> > I downloaded Wubi.
> > No luck.
>
> http://wubi-installer.org/
> <quote>
>
> Wubi is Simple
>
> No need to burn a CD. Just run the installer, enter a
> password for the
> new account, and click "Install", go grab a
> coffee, and when you are
> back, Ubuntu will be ready for you.
> </quote>
>
> http://wubi-installer.org/faq.php
>
> They are talking about the file: wubi.exe. Just
> double-click on the file
> and follow the rest of the instructions.
>
> To install directly from a liveCD:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GraphicalInstall
>
> To install 8.04 (recommended) directly from the Alternate
> CD:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/installation-guide/index.html
>
> To install 8.10 (don't use if you are new to Ubuntu)
> directly form the
> Alternate CD:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/8.10/installation-guide/index.html
>
> > I'm Pavlov's Dog. Need Help!
> > I'm using a Dell Inspiron 8100 purchased 12/23/01
> > Pentium 3 1.0 GHz
> > 512MB SDRAM
> > 16MB DDR 4X AGP NVIDIA GeForse 2 Go Vidio
> > 30GB Hard Drive
> > MiniPCI 56K +10/100 Modem
> > Windows XP Home 2002 w/ Service Pack 2
> > Updated BIOS: A15
> > I've been using Mozilla Firefox & Thunderbird,
> AVG, Prevx/CSI, Spyware Dr
> > And it's still OLD & SLOW.
>
> That system should run Ubuntu just fine.

Agreed that it should run Ubuntu with a 30 GB HDD but may be a little tight if he intends to keep Windows XP Home on the same HDD. I have deleted all my read mail but think I remember the OP saying he wanted to run each side by side. Could be wrong about that, though.-

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Old 11-19-2008, 02:05 AM
NoOp

On 11/18/2008 05:32 PM, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> --- On Tue, 11/18/08, NoOp <snip> wrote:
>
>> From: NoOp <snip> Subject: Re: Help To:
>> ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com Date: Tuesday, November 18, 2008,
>> 4:46 PM On 11/18/2008 12:51 PM, Dan Maney wrote:
[snip]
>>> I'm Pavlov's Dog. Need Help! I'm using a Dell Inspiron 8100
>>> purchased 12/23/01 Pentium 3 1.0 GHz 512MB SDRAM 16MB DDR 4X AGP
>>> NVIDIA GeForse 2 Go Vidio 30GB Hard Drive MiniPCI 56K +10/100
>>> Modem Windows XP Home 2002 w/ Service Pack 2 Updated BIOS: A15
>>> I've been using Mozilla Firefox & Thunderbird,
>> AVG, Prevx/CSI, Spyware Dr
>>> And it's still OLD & SLOW.
>>
>> That system should run Ubuntu just fine.
>>

> Agreed that it should run Ubuntu with a 30 GB HDD but may be a little
> tight if he intends to keep Windows XP Home on the same HDD. I have
> deleted all my read mail but think I remember the OP saying he wanted
> to run each side by side. Could be wrong about that, though.-

Depends. I have 3 dualboot systems with WinXPPro on them; one with
CadCam (Autocad + others) uses about 16GB, another with other standard
junk (all have MS Office 2002 +Adobe Acrobat, FrameMaker, PageMaker, and
the like on them) again uses about 14GB, and the other with backups from
customer's systems uses about 25GB. So, I reckon that if the drive has
at least the required disk space as pointed out on:
http://wubi-installer.org/ (5GB) then he should be able to install via
Wubi without much difficulty.

Old 12-04-2008, 06:18 PM
"Md. Nazmul Hamid Reza"

hi
i am running fedora 9 shulphur. i could not install any software in it.
when i try to install then it shows 'You don't have the necessary privileges to install local packages'.
what can i do?
plz help me

Old 12-06-2008, 03:20 PM
Les

Are you using yum? or some other process?

Regards,

Old 12-06-2008, 05:54 PM
"Tod Merley"

On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 11:18 AM, Md. Nazmul Hamid Reza
<nazmulhamid@yahoo.com> wrote:
> hi
> i am running fedora 9 shulphur. i could not install any software in it.
> when i try to install then it shows 'You don't have the necessary privileges
> to install local packages'.
> what can i do?
> plz help me

Hi Nazmul Hamid Reza!

You need to become the "Super User" (root). Most use the "su" command
(do a "man su" at a terminal prompt to view a simple manual on "su").
If you are trying to install from a graphics program use a "gksu
mygraphicscommand" to execute it.

Hopefully the links below will be useful to you:

# Here:

http://www.linux-tutorial.info/modules.php?name=MContent&pageid=69

# I found:

" You can change your UID while you are working by using the su
command. What does su stand for? Well, that's a good question. I have
seen several different translations in books and from people on the
Internet. I say that it means "switch UID, " as that's what it does.
However, other possibilities include "switch user" and "super-user."
This command sets your UID to a new one. The syntax is

su <user_name>

where <user_name> is the logname of the user whose UID you want to
use. After running the command, you have a UID of that user.

The shortcoming with this is that all that is changed is the UID and
GID; you still have the environment of the original user. If you want
the system to "pretend" as though you had actually logged in, include
a dash (-). The command would then be

su - <user_name>

What is actually happening is that you are running a new shell as that
user. (Check the ps output to see that this is a new process.)
Therefore, to switch back, you don't need to use su again, but just
exit that shell.

We need to remember that a shell is the primary means by which users
gain access to the system. Once they do gain access, their ability to
move around the system (in terms of reading files or executing
programs) depends on two things: permissions and privileges.

In general, there is no need to switch groups. A user can be listed in
more than one group in /etc/group and the system will grant access to
files and directories accordingly. "

http://tldp.org

Have a lot of fun!

Tod

Old 12-08-2008, 08:51 AM
"vinayaraj "

*

this is a test message

Old 01-01-2009, 03:51 PM
Bengt Samuelsson

help

Old 01-01-2009, 06:10 PM
Allan Wind

On 2009-01-01T17:51:10, Bengt Samuelsson wrote:
> help

Unknown command. Try /help

/Allan