Old 10-27-2008, 06:33 PM
NoOp

Default help

On 10/24/2008 12:05 AM, ng szu wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I need a favor, I am new to LINUX World and I am now facing problem
> to install ubuntu 8.04 properly in my ACER ASPIRE M5641. I am runnig
> this computer with Vista windows and everything is going fine.
> However, problem occurs when boot ubuntu 8.04 from live CD.
>
> I have tried few times and facing different conditions, sometimes I
> managed to get to the ubuntu desktop, but all my USB ports were
> disable, I couldn't move my mouse and keyboard. Sometimes it just
> failed to load and the error message was: usb2-2 couldn't read from
> address 6,error 110; usb2-2 couldn't read from address 7,error 110
> and etc.
>
> Anyone has faced this type of problem before? Any suggestions for me
> to solve this problem? Really appreaciate if you could help!!!

Here are a couple of things that you can try:

1. Check your bios settings for USB and see if they have an option for
legacy support or such. If so, try switching.

2. Boot with 'generic.all_generic_ide=1' option. To do this you'll need
to have the keyboard working at least at the liveCD boot menu. Press F6
and when you get the Boot Options line enter:
<Space>generic.all_generic_ide=1<Enter>

Other options that you can try 'noapic' & 'nolapic':

See: F1 - Help|F6|interrupt routing|noapic nolapic

So, for example, using the F6:
<Space>noapic nolapic generic.all_generic_ide=1<Enter>
all at one time (however I recommend trying them one at a time).

3. Move your keyboard and mouse to the usb connections in the back of
the machine (I believe your M5641 is a destop correct?) if they are
currently connected to the front usb ports. Also make sure they are not
connected on a single usb hub. The links that Mario provided demontrate
that there can be noise problems on USB devices on some systems -
particularly on ports furthest from the motherboard.

Old 10-27-2008, 06:58 PM
NoOp

On 10/27/2008 12:33 PM, NoOp wrote:

> Here are a couple of things that you can try:
>
> 1. Check your bios settings for USB and see if they have an option for
> legacy support or such. If so, try switching.
>
> 2. Boot with 'generic.all_generic_ide=1' option. To do this you'll need
> to have the keyboard working at least at the liveCD boot menu. Press F6
> and when you get the Boot Options line enter:
> <Space>generic.all_generic_ide=1<Enter>

Correction: change that to 'all_generic_ide' - the instructions from F1
help to use 'generic.all_generic_ide=1' gives errors on my system, but
'all_generic_ide' works.

Old 10-28-2008, 12:40 AM
ng szu

Thanks! would check it out!

Old 11-08-2008, 01:23 PM
joão pellin

Contents of launchpad-users digest...
Instale a Barra de Ferramentas com Desktop Search e ganhe EMOTICONS para o Messenger! É GRÁTIS!

Old 11-10-2008, 01:18 PM
joão pellin

Contents of launchpad-users digest...
Veja mapas e encontre as melhores rotas para fugir do trânsito com o Live Search Maps! Experimente já!

Old 11-18-2008, 07:51 PM
Dan Maney

Hi, HELP.
I'm having trouble downloading / installing Ubuntu.
I confirmed BIOS, confirmed download with MD5Sum, & downloaded wima6481.
When I couldn't open or run program using I burned to disc,
I downloaded Wubi.
No luck.
I'm Pavlov's Dog. Need Help!
I'm using a Dell Inspiron 8100 purchased 12/23/01
Pentium 3 1.0 GHz
512MB SDRAM
16MB DDR 4X AGP NVIDIA GeForse 2 Go Vidio
30GB Hard Drive
MiniPCI 56K +10/100 Modem
Windows XP Home 2002 w/ Service Pack 2
Updated BIOS: A15
I've been using Mozilla Firefox & Thunderbird, AVG, Prevx/CSI, Spyware Dr
And it's still OLD & SLOW.

Thanks
Dan

Old 11-18-2008, 08:22 PM
"Jim Rosser"

What kind of error are you getting on startup?

I'm having trouble downloading */ installing Ubuntu.

I confirmed BIOS, confirmed download with MD5Sum, & downloaded wima6481.

When I couldn't open or run program using I burned to disc,

I downloaded Wubi.

No luck.

I'm Pavlov's Dog. Need Help!

I'm using a Dell Inspiron 8100 purchased 12/23/01

Pentium 3 1.0 GHz

512MB SDRAM

16MB DDR 4X AGP NVIDIA GeForse 2 Go Vidio

30GB Hard Drive

MiniPCI 56K +10/100 Modem

Windows XP Home 2002 w/ Service Pack 2

Updated BIOS: A15

I've been using Mozilla Firefox & Thunderbird, AVG, Prevx/CSI, Spyware Dr

And it's still OLD & SLOW.

Thanks

Dan

Jim Rosser

A computer is like air conditioning: it becomes useless when you open windows.

Old 11-18-2008, 08:35 PM
Dan Maney

Hi, when I try to open / run disc, window opens requesting what should
firefox do with this program.
When I try to open Wubi icon, window opens stating program already open,
do I want to uninstall.

I'm being cheap, is the laptop worth saving?

Old 11-18-2008, 08:50 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Tue, 2008-11-18 at 16:35 -0500, Dan Maney wrote:
> Hi, when I try to open / run disc, window opens requesting what should
> firefox do with this program.
> When I try to open Wubi icon, window opens stating program already open,
> do I want to uninstall.

It seems that you are not aware that you need to boot the computer with
the installation disk in the drive (except when using Wubi, but this is
a different matter). To have an enjoyable installation, it might be
appropriate to do some reading. This start page and its links (choose
what is appropriate for you) say it better than I could:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation

I have never used Wubi and therefore have no clue about the "program
already open, do I want to uninstall"

> I'm being cheap, is the laptop worth saving?

Well, depends on what you want to do with it. Ubuntu will probably be
quite slow with this, but maybe it suffices - try and see. Xubuntu might
be a better-suited alternative, though: http://www.xubuntu.org/