Old 10-23-2008, 02:26 AM
FRANK SHARROW

Default help

many months ago i had a heart attack and was laid up for many months i am just now getting back on line but i can't log on as i have forgotten my user name and password can you help me??????--

Old 10-23-2008, 09:09 AM
"Bas Roufs"

Hello Frank

2008/10/23 FRANK SHARROW <atexasattitude@yahoo.com>:
> many months ago i had a heart attack and was laid up for many months i am
> just now getting back on line but i can't log on as i have forgotten my user
> name and password can you help me??????

Go to this page:

Scroll to the bottom of that page till you see this phrase:

"To unsubscribe from ubuntu-users, get a password reminder, or change
your subscription options enter your subscription email address:"
immediately under that phrase, you can give in the e-mail address from
which you sent your message to the list:
atexasattitude@yahoo.com
After giving in that address, hit the button 'unsubscribe or edit
options'. Than, you will receive an e-mail with your password and user
name.

The same mail will also tell you how to what to do if you want to
change your password, user name or anything else.

Respectfully Yours,

Bas.

===============
Viaconsensus
Bas G. Roufs M.A.
Van 't Hoffstraat 1
NL-3514 VT Utrecht
M. +31.6.446.835.10
T. +31.30.785.20.40.
BasRoufs@gmail.com

Old 10-23-2008, 09:11 AM
"Fajar Priyanto"

On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 10:26 AM, FRANK SHARROW
<atexasattitude@yahoo.com> wrote:
> many months ago i had a heart attack and was laid up for many months i am
> just now getting back on line but i can't log on as i have forgotten my user
> name and password can you help me??????
> --

Hi Frank,
Sorry to hear that. Hopefully you are fully recovered now.
So, you mean you forgot your ubuntu logon password?
I think we can workaround that by using the recovery mode.
When booting, press Esc on the boot prompt, it will then give the boot menu.
Choose the recovery.
I believe from there we will be automatically logon, and we can use command: id
Then we can change the password: sudo passwd
HTH

Old 10-23-2008, 11:39 AM
FRANK SHARROW

i did as you said i got the recovery to come up. i changed the password ! (but) i still do not know what my user name is or how to get it or change it can you (help)????

Old 10-23-2008, 12:53 PM
Charlie Kravetz

Old 10-23-2008, 01:28 PM
Nils Kassube

Fajar Priyanto wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 10:26 AM, FRANK SHARROW
> <atexasattitude@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > i can't log on as i have
> > forgotten my user name and password can you help me??????
>
> I believe from there we will be automatically logon, and we can use
> command: id Then we can change the password: sudo passwd

Close but not exactly right. Choose recovery mode from the grub menu and
then drop to a root shell. In a root shell you don't need sudo.

With the command

ls /home

you can see your home directory which usually is the login name as well.
Then use the command

passwd frank

where you replace "frank" if you have a different login name. Then you
enter a new password for user frank. Finally you can logout and resume
the boot process.

Nils

Old 10-24-2008, 07:05 AM
ng szu

Dear all,

I need a favor, I am new to LINUX World and I am now facing problem to install ubuntu 8.04 properly in my ACER ASPIRE M5641. I am runnig this computer with Vista windows and everything is going fine. However, problem occurs when boot ubuntu 8.04 from live CD.

I have tried few times and facing different conditions, sometimes I managed to get to the ubuntu desktop, but all my USB ports were disable, I couldn't move my mouse and keyboard. Sometimes it just failed to load and the error message was: usb2-2 couldn't read from address 6,error 110; usb2-2 couldn't read from address 7,error 110 and etc.

Anyone has faced this type of problem before? Any suggestions for me to solve this problem? Really appreaciate if you could help!!!

Thank you!

Regards
NST

Old 10-24-2008, 12:32 PM
Ken McLennan

G'day there Frank,

did as you said i got the recovery to come up. i changed the password !
(but) i still do not know what my user name is or how to get it or
change it can you (help)????

*** Boot as before and look in the "/home" directory. Your userid will
be one of, or the only, directory name in there.

See ya

Ken McLennan

Qld, Australia

Old 10-26-2008, 11:58 AM
Karl Larsen

ng szu wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I need a favor, I am new to LINUX World and I am now facing problem to install ubuntu 8.04 properly in my ACER ASPIRE M5641. I am runnig this computer with Vista windows and everything is going fine. However, problem occurs when boot ubuntu 8.04 from live CD.
>
> I have tried few times and facing different conditions, sometimes I managed to get to the ubuntu desktop, but all my USB ports were disable, I couldn't move my mouse and keyboard. Sometimes it just failed to load and the error message was: usb2-2 couldn't read from address 6,error 110; usb2-2 couldn't read from address 7,error 110 and etc.
>
> Anyone has faced this type of problem before? Any suggestions for me to solve this problem? Really appreaciate if you could help!!!
>
> Thank you!
>
> Regards
> NST

Please tell us how much RAM your computer has. It is possible that
is the problem. If the RAM is less than 500 MByte then you need to load
using the low RAM method.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 10-26-2008, 04:57 PM
"Sahana Basavapatna"

Hello!!

I have recently started using Linux operating system and have absolutely no clue how this works. So far, its been fine because I am not a techy and Kubuntu is quite user friendly.

In the last couple of days, a problem has emerged and I am not sure how to deal with it. I am not even sure this is the right place to share this query.

Whenever I try to open a dialogue page, and click on the icon, instead of opening the page, it actually disappears. This is with both when I use the mouse and when I use the touch pad. I have partitioned my laptop and have Windows XP as well. When I used XP to see if the problem persists, I find that there is no problem with the mouse then.

I am not sure this is a software or a hardware problem. I really appreciate if anyone can help.

Cheers,
Sahana
--
Sahana Basavapatna