-   Fedora Games (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-games/)
-   -   Patent concerns (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-games/39239-patent-concerns.html)

"Tom "spot" Callaway" 01-16-2008 06:46 PM

Patent concerns

Hi folks,

I hate for my first post to this mailing list to be a depressing one,
but I need to pass along some bad news.

Due to patent concerns, we won't be able to include any games in Fedora
which meet the following criteria:

A game where "targets" move across the screen to a predetermined point
or line, where the player hits a button/key/mouse click as the target(s)
crosses that point or line, and gets points.

This means:

No "Guitar Hero" clones.
No "Dance Dance Revolution" clones.

I need your help to make sure that we don't have any other games that
meet this criteria, either on the wish list or in Fedora.

If you're not sure, ask me.

Thanks in advance,

~spot

Leszek Matok 01-16-2008 07:39 PM

Patent concerns

Dnia 2008-01-16, o godz. 14:46:02 "Tom "spot" Callaway"
<tcallawa@redhat.com> napisał(a):

> A game where "targets" move across the screen to a predetermined point
> or line, where the player hits a button/key/mouse click as the target(s)
> crosses that point or line, and gets points.
Does camping in Quake count?

Lam

"Tom "spot" Callaway" 01-16-2008 07:42 PM

Patent concerns

On Wed, 2008-01-16 at 21:39 +0100, Leszek Matok wrote:
> Dnia 2008-01-16, o godz. 14:46:02 "Tom "spot" Callaway"
> <tcallawa@redhat.com> napisał(a):
>
> > A game where "targets" move across the screen to a predetermined point
> > or line, where the player hits a button/key/mouse click as the target(s)
> > crosses that point or line, and gets points.
> Does camping in Quake count?

Nah, although campers deserve to be sniped. ;)

~spot

Matthew Miller 01-16-2008 07:42 PM

Patent concerns

On Wed, Jan 16, 2008 at 02:46:02PM -0500, Tom spot Callaway wrote:
> Due to patent concerns, we won't be able to include any games in Fedora
> which meet the following criteria:
> A game where "targets" move across the screen to a predetermined point
> or line, where the player hits a button/key/mouse click as the target(s)
> crosses that point or line, and gets points.

Seriously? I wrote an AppleBasic game in fourth grade (1984) that did that.

--
Matthew Miller mattdm@mattdm.org <http://mattdm.org/>
Boston University Linux ------> <http://linux.bu.edu/>

Matthew Miller 01-16-2008 07:48 PM

Patent concerns

On Wed, Jan 16, 2008 at 03:42:48PM -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 16, 2008 at 02:46:02PM -0500, Tom spot Callaway wrote:
> > Due to patent concerns, we won't be able to include any games in Fedora
> > which meet the following criteria:
> > A game where "targets" move across the screen to a predetermined point
> > or line, where the player hits a button/key/mouse click as the target(s)
> > crosses that point or line, and gets points.
> Seriously? I wrote an AppleBasic game in fourth grade (1984) that did that.

And by "did that", I mean literally that's exactly all it did. Squares came
into the screen the left and moved to the right, and you got points if you
hit a key exactly when they crossed a line in the middle of the screen. Sure
wish I'd published that code.

Hans de Goede 01-16-2008 07:50 PM

Patent concerns

Matthew Miller wrote:

Due to patent concerns, we won't be able to include any games in Fedora
which meet the following criteria:
A game where "targets" move across the screen to a predetermined point
or line, where the player hits a button/key/mouse click as the target(s)
crosses that point or line, and gets points.

Seriously? I wrote an AppleBasic game in fourth grade (1984) that did that.

I hear you, some smartass behind DDR though so game mechanics can't be
copyrighted, lets patent them.

Cheesh.

Maybe its an idea to petition pubpat: http://www.pubpat.org/ to fight this? I
know they have much bigger (and much more important) fish to catch, but this
seems trivially easy to overthrow.

Regards,

Hans

"Tom "spot" Callaway" 01-16-2008 08:02 PM

Patent concerns

On Wed, 2008-01-16 at 21:50 +0100, Hans de Goede wrote:
> Matthew Miller wrote:
> > On Wed, Jan 16, 2008 at 02:46:02PM -0500, Tom spot Callaway wrote:
> >> Due to patent concerns, we won't be able to include any games in Fedora
> >> which meet the following criteria:
> >> A game where "targets" move across the screen to a predetermined point
> >> or line, where the player hits a button/key/mouse click as the target(s)
> >> crosses that point or line, and gets points.
> >
> > Seriously? I wrote an AppleBasic game in fourth grade (1984) that did that.
> >

> I hear you, some smartass behind DDR though so game mechanics can't be
> copyrighted, lets patent them.
>
> Cheesh.
>
> Maybe its an idea to petition pubpat: http://www.pubpat.org/ to fight this? I
> know they have much bigger (and much more important) fish to catch, but this
> seems trivially easy to overthrow.

If you're motivated to find the prior art, feel free.

Unfortunately, I have several million other things on my todo list, and
I'm not going to add "hunt down prior art to invalidate video game
patents held by mega-corps" to that list anytime soon.

~spot

Jeroen van Meeuwen 01-16-2008 11:15 PM

Patent concerns

Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:

Dnia 2008-01-16, o godz. 14:46:02 "Tom "spot" Callaway"
A game where "targets" move across the screen to a predetermined point
or line, where the player hits a button/key/mouse click as the target(s)
crosses that point or line, and gets points.

Does camping in Quake count?

Nah, although campers deserve to be sniped. ;)

Mostly though the campers are the snipers also...

-Jeroen

Callum Lerwick 01-17-2008 09:17 AM

Patent concerns

On Wed, 2008-01-16 at 14:46 -0500, Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
> A game where "targets" move across the screen to a predetermined point
> or line, where the player hits a button/key/mouse click as the target(s)
> crosses that point or line, and gets points.
>
> This means:
>
> No "Guitar Hero" clones.
> No "Dance Dance Revolution" clones.

You've got to be shitting me.

... So, how about if the "targets" stay still and the cursor moves? I
think there's assloads of prior art on that...

Johannes 01-17-2008 11:15 AM

Patent concerns

> On Wed, 2008-01-16 at 21:50 +0100, Hans de Goede wrote:
> > Matthew Miller wrote:
> > >
> > > Seriously? I wrote an AppleBasic game in fourth grade (1984) that did that.
> > >

> > I hear you, some smartass behind DDR though so game mechanics can't be
> > copyrighted, lets patent them.
> >
> > Cheesh.
> >
> > Maybe its an idea to petition pubpat: http://www.pubpat.org/ to fight this? I
> > know they have much bigger (and much more important) fish to catch, but this
> > seems trivially easy to overthrow.
>
> If you're motivated to find the prior art, feel free.

>From the top of my head, Moon Buggy. If you haven't seen it, here's a
quick description: You can see the left side of a (moon) buggy on the
right side of the screen and a (moon) surface underneath with pits in
it that moves from left to right. You control the buggy and have to
jump over the holes (you can't move left or right, you can just jump).
So: you have "targets" (pits) that move across the screen and you have
a predetermined point (buggy) where you have to press a button, so a
fine piece of prior art if you ask me. It's not very old (Version 1 was
released in 2004), but it has some ancestry: it's based on a 1982 game
"Moon Patrol" which, based on screenshots, seems to be quite similar.

Johannes