Old 01-18-2008, 01:38 AM
"Tom "spot" Callaway"

Default Patent concerns

On Thu, 2008-01-17 at 20:11 -0600, Callum Lerwick wrote:

> I was thinking this would be an excuse to do something in python... I
> suppose if I ever actually do this, I'll have to remember to duck this
> patent somehow... :P

There are quite a few related patents, so I would be especially
cautious.

~spot

Old 01-18-2008, 02:44 PM
Nicolas Barriga

On Thursday 17 January 2008 23:38:30 Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-01-17 at 20:11 -0600, Callum Lerwick wrote:
> > I was thinking this would be an excuse to do something in python... I
> > suppose if I ever actually do this, I'll have to remember to duck this
> > patent somehow... :P
>
> There are quite a few related patents, so I would be especially
> cautious.

If the patents are so ridiculous as the ones that have being discussed here,
you could just host the project outside the US. Patents are valid only in the
country where the patents were issued.

If more people start using this approach, then the U.S. patent office
will(hopefully) realize that there is something wrong with the way they have
been operating until now.

Cheers,
--
Nicolas Barriga User #318341 counter.li.org
ALMA AIV Software Engineer Phone:1-505-835-7480

Old 01-19-2008, 09:42 AM
Sam Arthur Allen

On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 08:09:58 -0500, Tom "spot" Callaway" wrote:
> No, the patent is pretty darned specific. Its "targets moving in a
> straight line" to a "predetermined point or line", and the player
> having to hit a button at that precise point or line to get points.
> If you're shooting the target, doesn't apply. If there is cursor
> motion involved, doesn't apply.

What a crock of @#$%, I've seen this been done a few times.
"Parappa the Rapper" on PS1 from 1995 comes to mind, it does *exactly*
what the above paragraph states.

Also, the Amiga was flooded with
synth-based games due to its audio processing power for its time.

On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 10:33:19 -0500, Tom "spot" Callaway" wrote:
> The primary patent of concern is US 6347998, held by Konami.

Just read that patent at:

http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/6347998.html

and said in its header:

> Game system and computer-readable recording medium
> US Patent Issued on February 19, 2002

If that patent really does applies from 2002 onwards _only_, is
"Parappa the Rapper" from circa 1995 enough prior art?

--Sam

Old 01-19-2008, 02:48 PM
"Tom "spot" Callaway"

On Sat, 2008-01-19 at 20:42 +1000, Sam Arthur Allen wrote:

> If that patent really does applies from 2002 onwards _only_, is
> "Parappa the Rapper" from circa 1995 enough prior art?

It looks like one example of prior art.

Motivated individuals should talk to:
http://www.pubpat.org/Contact.htm

~spot

Old 01-19-2008, 09:56 PM
Callum Lerwick

On Sat, 2008-01-19 at 20:42 +1000, Sam Arthur Allen wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 08:09:58 -0500, Tom "spot" Callaway" wrote:
> > No, the patent is pretty darned specific. Its "targets moving in a
> > straight line" to a "predetermined point or line", and the player
> > having to hit a button at that precise point or line to get points.
> > If you're shooting the target, doesn't apply. If there is cursor
> > motion involved, doesn't apply.
>
> What a crock of @#$%, I've seen this been done a few times.
> "Parappa the Rapper" on PS1 from 1995 comes to mind, it does *exactly*
> what the above paragraph states.

The Parappa "targets" did not move. They were static, and used a moving
cursor:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1592483888067882190

So no this particular patent doesn't apply, so it isn't prior art. Also
possibly notable is you were rewarded bonus points for ad-libbing more
advanced raps than the game requires, as the person playing
demonstrates.

Old 01-20-2008, 01:11 AM
Ric Moore

On Wed, 2008-01-16 at 15:42 -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 16, 2008 at 02:46:02PM -0500, Tom spot Callaway wrote:
> > Due to patent concerns, we won't be able to include any games in Fedora
> > which meet the following criteria:
> > A game where "targets" move across the screen to a predetermined point
> > or line, where the player hits a button/key/mouse click as the target(s)
> > crosses that point or line, and gets points.
>
> Seriously? I wrote an AppleBasic game in fourth grade (1984) that did that.

I hope you sue the pants off of someone. <cackles>
http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar

Old 01-20-2008, 05:07 AM
Sam Allen

Hey Callum, something just hit me like a brick:

You asked:

Sat, 19 Jan 2008 16:56:55 -0600, Callum Lerwick wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-01-16 at 14:46 -0500, Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
> > A game where "targets" move across the screen to a predetermined
> > point or line, where the player hits a button/key/mouse click as
> > the target(s) crosses that point or line, and gets points.
>
> You've got to be shitting me.
>
> ... So, how about if the "targets" stay still and the cursor moves? I
> think there's assloads of prior art on that...

And replied to one of my replies with:

Sat, 19 Jan 2008 16:56:55 -0600, Callum Lerwick wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-01-19 at 20:42 +1000, Sam Arthur Allen wrote:
> > What a crock of @#$%, I've seen this been done a few times.
> > "Parappa the Rapper" on PS1 from 1995 comes to mind, it does
> > *exactly* what the above paragraph states.
>
> The Parappa "targets" did not move. They were static, and used a
> moving cursor:
>
> http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1592483888067882190
>
> So no this particular patent doesn't apply, so it isn't prior art.

Great, Parappa has a different "timeline" than Guitar Hero's - I'm happy
with that.

Now, what games were under this patent concern?

--Sam