-   Fedora Games (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-games/)
-   -   Fedora Community Gaming (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-games/361549-fedora-community-gaming.html)

Bruno Wolff III 04-24-2010 10:29 PM

Fedora Community Gaming

I am doing a pilot project on having Fedora community gaming sessions.
I'd like to get some early review by this group, though I'll be posting
something on the users list in a couple of days.
This is in response to Fedora Engineering Services ticket 18
(https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-engineering-services/ticket/18).
The wiki page for this project is:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Community_Gaming

I am planning on running a bzflag session in a week and a Wesnoth session
in two weeks.

I am looking here for feedback on the project, participants and future
sponsors for sessions.

This is a pilot project and could easily die or mutate into something
significantly different than the original proposal.

Thanks.

Jon Ciesla 04-26-2010 08:06 PM

Fedora Community Gaming

On 04/24/2010 05:29 PM, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> I am doing a pilot project on having Fedora community gaming sessions.
> I'd like to get some early review by this group, though I'll be posting
> something on the users list in a couple of days.
> This is in response to Fedora Engineering Services ticket 18
> (https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-engineering-services/ticket/18).
> The wiki page for this project is:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Community_Gaming
>
> I am planning on running a bzflag session in a week and a Wesnoth session
> in two weeks.
>
> I am looking here for feedback on the project, participants and future
> sponsors for sessions.
>
> This is a pilot project and could easily die or mutate into something
> significantly different than the original proposal.
>
> Thanks.

+1. I *so* wish I could devote time to play. :)

-J

Marķa Leandro 04-26-2010 08:16 PM

Fedora Community Gaming

Excelente!!!!

I'm on it... for nobody is a secret that I'm a gamer :D I will check wich games I can include and I'll try to join the game team :D

Thanks for this great idea... ther is no better way to make people go to your booth that using and showing a game running on a fedora laptop :D

2010/4/27 Jon Ciesla <limb@jcomserv.net>

On 04/24/2010 05:29 PM, Bruno Wolff III wrote:

> I am doing a pilot project on having Fedora community gaming sessions.

> I'd like to get some early review by this group, though I'll be posting

> something on the users list in a couple of days.

> This is in response to Fedora Engineering Services ticket 18

> (https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-engineering-services/ticket/18).

> The wiki page for this project is:

> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Community_Gaming

> I am planning on running a bzflag session in a week and a Wesnoth session

> in two weeks.

> I am looking here for feedback on the project, participants and future

> sponsors for sessions.

> This is a pilot project and could easily die or mutate into something

> significantly different than the original proposal.

> Thanks.

+1. *I *so* wish I could devote time to play. :)

-J

tatica
Maria Gracia Leandro
http://www.tatica.org
http://www.fedora-ve.org

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/MariaLeandro
LinuxUser= 440285
GPG Public Key: E1CDCC56
"Be yourself... Don't be anyone else"

Bruno Wolff III 04-26-2010 09:26 PM

Fedora Community Gaming

On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 15:46:19 +1930,
Marķa Leandro <tatica@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> Excelente!!!!
>
> I'm on it... for nobody is a secret that I'm a gamer :D I will check wich
> games I can include and I'll try to join the game team :D
>
> Thanks for this great idea... ther is no better way to make people go to
> your booth that using and showing a game running on a fedora laptop :D

It wasn't my idea. It might have been Kevin's as he opened the FES ticket.

I plan to send a message to the users list sometime tonight.

Bruno Wolff III 04-26-2010 11:37 PM

Fedora Community Gaming

A suggestion was made to have game sessions for the community playing games
available in Fedora. A pilot project has been started and the first
session will be this Friday (or Saturday depending on timezone).

For background you can find the original request at:
https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-engineering-services/ticket/18

A wiki page for this project is at:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Community_Gaming

The first session will start this Friday at 9pm EDT (0100 UTC Saturday).
We will be playing bzflag and attempting to use Fedora Talk (x2010) as a
social channel, as chatting socially by typing, while playing bzflag seems
hard to do.

bzflag is a pretty light, chaotic game that allows for easy dropping in
and out. The session will last at least 2 hours, but will go longer if
people actually show up and want to keep playing. games1.wolff.to will
be set up as a private server, but you will just be able to connect without
any special password. Before we start playing we will be using the
#fedora-games IRC channel to communicate in case there are problems.
If you think it's likely you'll show up you can add you name in the wiki
so we know how many people to expect.

The week after we will be running a Wesnoth session, using the in game
chat for socializing. That's a much different game and will probably
appeal to a different group of people.

After that, it depends on the response both a of players and people willing
to sponsor games. At least initially we want to try a lot of different
stuff. The first two being at the same time has to do with my schedule.
I would hope that other people run game sessions at different times in
order to be more accessible to other people.

Bruno Wolff III 05-01-2010 01:12 PM

Fedora Community Gaming

On Sat, Apr 24, 2010 at 17:29:57 -0500,
Bruno Wolff III <bruno@wolff.to> wrote:
> I am doing a pilot project on having Fedora community gaming sessions.

The first session occured. Not a lot of turn out, but it was fun. The
AAR is at:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Community_Gaming#Historical_Session_notes

Bruno Wolff III 05-01-2010 01:13 PM

Fedora Community Gaming