Old 02-16-2010, 03:43 AM
Bruno Wolff III

Default alienarena removed from games spin for F13 due to size

With the increased size of the desktop spin (upon which games is based) and
I think some game data sets getting a bit bigger it was going to be hard to
get the games spin down to size by cutting out desktop stuff. Instead for
this release I cut one of the largest games, alienarena, from the spin.
While the game will be missed, this seemed to be the best course for F13.

For F14 things look very good for getting back 10% of the games spin size
(about 400 MB) using lzma for compressing spins. That should allow me to
get alienarena back in again, barring significant increases in the size
of other games or the desktop spin.

Old 02-16-2010, 06:12 AM
Nicu Buculei

On 02/16/2010 06:43 AM, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> With the increased size of the desktop spin (upon which games is based) and
> I think some game data sets getting a bit bigger it was going to be hard to
> get the games spin down to size by cutting out desktop stuff. Instead for
> this release I cut one of the largest games, alienarena, from the spin.
> While the game will be missed, this seemed to be the best course for F13.

Did this leave the games spin with no 3D shooter? Considering shooters
are one of the most important game genres, is possible to replace
alienarena with something smaller?

> For F14 things look very good for getting back 10% of the games spin size
> (about 400 MB) using lzma for compressing spins. That should allow me to
> get alienarena back in again, barring significant increases in the size
> of other games or the desktop spin.

AFAIK, one of the main reasons of size increase in the Desktop spin is
the addition of OpenOffice.org, did you remove that? How about some
other big space eaters?